Making the Move- April 2013

Wisette

Hello,

After a very long wait we finally have received our visa's and have to land in Adelaide before May 2013. We are now trying to save up as much as we can and doing research on all the usual; jobs, living, medical care, costs, shipping, etc.

We are a young family, my husband, our son who will be 2 next month, and myself and we can not wait to make the move.Also very anxious as we have no jobs (yet) so we will be taking a deep, risky plunge..

Recently told the family and close friends that we will be leaving, struggling with some of the reactions but I suppose it only proves they loves us! Keeping it from everyone else until we are 100% of our leaving date and all set to go.

Hoping to get in contact with some people who are looking to move around the same time to share experiences and ideas?

Thanks!

Guest dondon75

Reading your message was like reading my own story! Me, husband and son (2 sept 11) applied for our visa 2009 and granted June 2012 to arrive no later in oz 23 may 2013! We are starting to sell things and only take what is necessary, waiting on quote for a move cube hoping cheaper than a container and reviews are good! Common complaint with shipping is it takes too long and have to go out buy things! We do not have jobs to go to either but hope things will work out. Would be good to share stories and maybe help each other out with the move and starting a new life! feel free to PM me if you want.

Edited by noworriesmate
removed email address

Hi All

Wow reading your posts certainly takes me back to our visa story!!! we came over with a 3 year old and probably like 90% of the other migrants didnt have jobs, family or friends here either.

Family reactions were mixed for us too and although its an exciting time it did also seem a bit daughting at times also!!! but if it gets tough always keep in mind the reasons why you decided to do the move, its so worth it in the end. We just love it here, its a great lifestyle this is where we belong.:biggrin:

Post any questions you have on this forum as there are some great people on here with lots of experience and advice so someone will have the answer

Good luck with all your plans

Take Care

Kim

x:wubclub:

Guest twinfamily

Hi all,

Good to see a few of us are going over. We'll be makin the move to - just waiting to see where we'll be working initially. How have you found the paperwork/medicals etc as we've not started any of that?

Thanks

Jessica

Hiya,

You are going over the same time as me and my OH, we like, u are leaving it until closer to the time to tell some people whilst close family know and have reacted quite well, even though we know our date there has been a few odd reactions but ultimately you have to make the best decision for you and your family. I dont want to stay to keep people happy but make me miserable.

We havent sorted out jobs either but with my type of career I am going to have to retrain, shouldnt be much problem for my OH as a mechanic but I feel its going to be better for him to take the time to find a job he wants to do as I think this can make or break the move.

I am just sorting out my shipping quote and putting the time to research costs of items and what to take, so far looks a definate to take the white goods as they seem to be quite expensive in Australia, been quite impressed with the quotes which have come in so far.

Thanks

Hi All

Wow reading your posts certainly takes me back to our visa story!!! we came over with a 3 year old and probably like 90% of the other migrants didnt have jobs, family or friends here either.

Family reactions were mixed for us too and although its an exciting time it did also seem a bit daughting at times also!!! but if it gets tough always keep in mind the reasons why you decided to do the move, its so worth it in the end. We just love it here, its a great lifestyle this is where we belong.:biggrin:

Post any questions you have on this forum as there are some great people on here with lots of experience and advice so someone will have the answer

Good luck with all your plans

Take Care

Kim

x:wubclub:

Thanks for your message- thats so great to hear. I will def keep that in mind and that will always be our drive!

Australia is where my husband and I met each other 11 years ago whilst travelling, so its a special place for us :)

Hiya,

You are going over the same time as me and my OH, we like, u are leaving it until closer to the time to tell some people whilst close family know and have reacted quite well, even though we know our date there has been a few odd reactions but ultimately you have to make the best decision for you and your family. I dont want to stay to keep people happy but make me miserable.

We havent sorted out jobs either but with my type of career I am going to have to retrain, shouldnt be much problem for my OH as a mechanic but I feel its going to be better for him to take the time to find a job he wants to do as I think this can make or break the move.

I am just sorting out my shipping quote and putting the time to research costs of items and what to take, so far looks a definate to take the white goods as they seem to be quite expensive in Australia, been quite impressed with the quotes which have come in so far.

Thanks

Thats is what we say as well. People who love us will ultimately (hopefully) understand and be happy for us, even though they would hate to see us go! And they may have a nice holiday destination :) I keep reminding everyone of that.

Take care!

Hi all,

Good to see a few of us are going over. We'll be makin the move to - just waiting to see where we'll be working initially. How have you found the paperwork/medicals etc as we've not started any of that?

Thanks

Jessica

Hi Jessica,

The whole process was on hold for ages but all and all wasnt that bad! It seems a lot, the paperwork, but turns out to be not as much as you think.

Hi, same as us, we finally got our visas last thursday. Have to be there by the 2nd june 2013! Were hairdressers moving to the southern suburbs, do you know where abouts you will be heading to?

No, not yet, but the south sounds good to us as well! Guess it all depends on where we can find our jobs..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

we have the same story as well !

How did you decide where to live in Adelaide?

I am trying to find a job in HR before we arrive to Adelaide, is it possible ?

Appreciate your feedback

Great to see all these reactions.

We have now decided to sell our house instead of renting it out and will have it on the market hopefully by next weeks- fingers crossed!

Also we are having a survey done in October for our household good shipments, need to make decisions now on what we would like to bring with us.

Still can’t believe that we will be in Australia in 7 or 8 months time – I don’t think it has sunk in yet??!

Hi Guys,

Were doing the same as you. I have applied or a job had the intrview and they want me their asap. We have sold the house, and they want me their by Feb 2013. Shipping quotes are in and so are the quotes for the pets. I have a young family as well with no friends, relatives ... no-one.

Its Still daughting tho.....

Can we stick together on this link and share are experiences ..... ie shipping quotes etc??

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Deardos,

Great news to hear you already have a job! I speak for myself when I say I find that one of the scariest things- the prospect of moving probably without a job for me or my husband. Must be such a relief for you.

Here comes the obvious question: what kind of work do you do and how did you find your job? Every little helps for us :)

Thanks!

Guest Shandalina

Hi,

So good to hear that most people on this thread are in the same position as us. We are in our early 40's with 2 young children - 4 and 8.

We are also moving over with no friends or family etc and also no jobs etc.We did our EOI on 1st July and recived the Skillset invite on Sept 11th. We have 2 months to do the security and health checks and if all goes well should have our visa by Nov 30th. We plan to arrive in Adelaide in 1st or 2nd week of Jan 2013 and then try and sort out the schools within 3 weeks as they start on 29th Jan ... yes - we are feeling the pressure, but are incredibly happy and excited to embark on this new adventure and feel that this is a good move for the 4 of us, in terms of work/life balance. About to look at Removal companies and start getting some quotes in. Have John Mason coming end Oct to do me an onsite estimate. Look forward to reviewing everyones input and experiences. Cheers Shan

Hi all, this is my first post. I have heard of this site and would love to have had this sort of information available when we made the move 20 years ago with a 8 month old son. All has been good to us, we live in the Southern Suburbs and have done for the past 17 years after a spell in the North and a year in Brisbane. if you have any specific questions about the South, fire away, or anything else for that matter, I'll be happy to answer anything I can,

Derek

Guest guest8040

Hello all we're booked to fly 17th April from Newcastle with 2 boys 7 and 5. As Misplaced says get your house marketed quickly if you want to sell, we've had 5 viewings in 4 months and have now decided to rent it out. We have no jobs to go to, short term rental sorted (get that booked quickly if you haven't already), family kicking off big style and we're more terrified than excited at the moment! PSS shipping coming Thursday to give us a quote.

Hello all we're booked to fly 17th April from Newcastle with 2 boys 7 and 5. As Misplaced says get your house marketed quickly if you want to sell, we've had 5 viewings in 4 months and have now decided to rent it out. We have no jobs to go to, short term rental sorted (get that booked quickly if you haven't already), family kicking off big style and we're more terrified than excited at the moment! PSS shipping coming Thursday to give us a quote.

It's a shame you guys are going at the end of April, we are going out from 23rd March until 8th April (unless house sells by then, in which case we may not catch the return flight!) It would have been good to meet up for a glass of wine or two and a chat about the experience.

I hope the family settle down and support you, it must be so hard without their backing.

Guest guest8040

I'm keeping everything crossed its a permenant move for you Gus it's a shame about the dates but I plumped for mid April as there may be redundancy looming at work at the end of March. As my notice and the redundancy periods are the same I wanted to not have to put my notice in first and miss out on redundancy payments! The family thing is awkward, they've accepted it to a degree but my side (well my mam) keeps making digs that riddle me with guilt and my husbands sister has only started speaking after a 4 month silence and things have changed. That coupled with the fact my 7 year old does not want to go makes it really hard emotionally!

Definitely be on for a drink when you get there properly!

Follow your dreams wherever they lead, don`t be distracted by less worthy needs...

Shelter them, nourish them, help them grow. Let your heart hold them down deep where dreams go. Follow your dreams pursue them with haste; Life is too precious too fleeting to waste... Be faithful, be loyal, then all your life through, the dreams that you follow will keep coming true