Made a mistake!!!

Guest cockney

Guest cockney

Hi everyone just want to say hello, and share our story. We are a family of four my wife and I are both nurses and we moved to Oz in 2008. We moved to NSW in a place called the Illawarra region initially it was fantastic and we adored the lifestyle, but after a couple of years the honeymoon period wore off and we began to doubt whether we had done the right thing. We started to miss friends and family and all things British. We stuck it out for another couple of years but things didn't get any better. We decided to come back to the UK in July this year we also thought about moving to a different area in Oz (In hindsight this is what we should have done). We have been back a few months and initially it was brilliant. We both managed to secure jobs in the NHS but the downside was that we have to start at the bottom of the pile again which is a real kick in the teeth. My wife started work this week and is very disappointed and she feels like a junior nurse all over again. I really really don't want to sound ungrateful but I think Australia was very kind to us when we were there. When we arrived we only had 4 thousand pounds and I was the only one working for the first 4 months but we somehow managed. We built a house and were given $24k by the Australian government which we will be eternally grateful for. We have been back since July and my wife only started working this week. I'm still waiting for CRB and health clearance it takes far too long! If we didn't have significant savings there is no way we would have been able to survive. Life just seems a lot harder here to Australia, We really took things for granted when we were there and now only realise this now that we are back. We feel pretty bad about the whole thing! It has been a roller coaster of emotions since we have been back. Our PR visa runs out in December this year so we both really feel under the cosh to make a decision! Initially when we were first going to emigrate we planned to go to Adelaide as it looked an ideal place for families. (what do people think of this?) I have got family in Adelaide from my brother in laws side and my wife has a friend who lives there as well. One thing we found very difficult in Oz was making friends, our neighbourhood was very special and we always had barbies and get togethers on a regular basis. My son who is 8 found it difficult to make good friends there I don't know if it is because he is half fillipino probably not. Its just difficult because people already have well established social networks. We have been looking at Brisbane and Adelaide and feel Adelaide would be a very nice place to live. We also have friends in Brissie but it gets very hot and humid up there (sure you get used to it though). Can anybody give us an idea whats its like to live in Adelaide? (I know thats quite difficult!) Are there any nurses on here that can tell us what its like working in Adelaide? My wife works in Intensive care and I work in mental health. Can anybody tell us of any nursing agencies in Adelaide (thanks). I know that there are many other people in the same predicament as us so it would be nice to hear from you as well. Really look forward to peoples views and any information would be very much appreciated. Thanks a lot. Danwink.gif

Guest The travelling brummie's

Hi....

Wow - I do feel really sorry for you not settling in as well as you thought you would!

I am moving to Adelaide in January - partner is a carpenter - after spending the last 18months trying to get a pr visa we are finally on track and things start to be moving forward.

I spent from june 2009 - june 2011 living in Australia. We lived in brisbane initially and then moved to Adelaide. I loved Adelaide so much that as soon as our working holiday visa ran out we decided to fly home and start applying tot live there.

From a general outlook on the place - it has everything, city living but close to the beach, tram rise from CBD to the sand takes about 20 mins! I found the main thing for me was i loved having the seasons - hot hot in the summer and lovely and cool in the winter. Brisbane was far too humid for me, almost unbearable, then of corse our apartment flooded early 2011 and we had to be evacuated from the constant down pour of rain for 3 months solid, would never live in QLD again!!

My Uncle and aunt live in adelaide and have done for the past 7 years and my aunt is a Nurse. She too worked in A & E back home and since arriving i adelaide has never struggled. She is now working on the community 4 days a week and one day a week in a lovely ear nose and throat clinic in the city. She loves it! They have 3 children and one of the main reasons they moved to Adelaide was so they could continue having a good education. They go to a fantastic school and they have all settled in just great.

I would definalty say Adelaide is a great place for families! The beaches are nice and clean and quiet, my cousins always seem to be doing one sport or another whether that be dancing, acting classes, drama, rugby all sorts!!

I know im not in your position as in i dont have children yet but i cant wait to start a family in Adelaide as its the perfect place to bring children up!! the city suburbs are immaculate, safe and the parks are great for kids - there is a real sense of ex-pat sticking together spirit and we have attended many british reunions at some city pubs which are great fun!

Hope this post helps - hopefully you can get more help from other people who have kids but just wanted to give you the thumbs up on adelaide - best place ever!:biggrin:

Guest Guest6899

Hello, I'm a nurse working at Flinders medical center.. I do the same role RN on a busy acute medical ward, and boy what a difference. In the UK working for the NHS, i rarely had a break, never went on time and was stressed consistently with the lack of staffing and juggling so many really acutely ill patients anything from 9-14 at any one time. here i always get a break, usually finish early after debrief, get paid more than double than i did in the UK. Having other nurses to work with is great, we usually have 4pts per nurse either RN or EN, our EN's are great they do meds and some can do IV's. although our unit is still very busy we turn over around 600 pts a month i do not find it stressfull at all.

have a look on seek for jobs there are usually loads of agencies are advertising. permanent jobs especially at flinders are rare most people are all on temp contracts but there is still a demand for experienced nurses. i work in the same division as critical care so have a contact name should your wife want it, pm me if so. i know a few mental health nurses and apart from them saying there about 10yrs out of date with practice here they seem to enjoy the work..

Lifestyle here, in the summer i left work around 15.20 on the beach by 15.45, great...

Lisa

Good luck with the move back.

Making Aussie friends IS hard. It not easy to 'break into' new established groups. Start with a few ex-pats groups too but don't just mix with other Brits

It was easier for us as we joined a local church and were made very welcome. Joining clubs does seem to help but unless you are actively invoved in sports it hard to know where to start. Lions groups and volunteering is another option but not easy for younger families who don't have time to spare like us 'retirees'.

I took up quilting after a couple of classes and also go to aquaerobics while my husband goes to bowls and Probus. Fine if you're over 50 but not necessarily ideal for you young things! I also run monthly craft classes making cards at home.

As in the UK you really have to work at relationships (perhaps a little harder here) Don't expect to sit back and hope neighbours and friend will welcome you - you have to be proactive!

About Adelaide, it is a nice place to raise a family, safe and pretty and relaxed. For single/young couples it might be a bit too quiet.

Making friends here is extremelly hard specially with Australians. They nice and friendly but they all have their group of friends that they had since they were kids and family that lives just round the corner. Adelaide is a big country town where everyone knows everybody.

So they will be pleasant torwards you but won't bring you into their group. Most of the friendships I made here were with people from a different state or different country. Worth trying to join a group - check out meetup.com - is for everybody from all ages.

About your kid having problems fitting in, I don't think is about him/her but is just difficult to make friendships not matter what age group you are. Have spoken to other migrants and they have similar experiences themselves and their kids.

Good luck with what you decide.

Guest kezkev199

Hi Lisa i am also an itu nurse in the UK. I have applied to AHPRA, Adelaide for my registration as myself and my family are hoping to come out to Oz early next year. We would be wanting to come out on a 457 visa. Would you be able to recommend any employers to me please. We have not made a definite decision which part of Oz we would like although Adelaide sounds appealing. Any help would be gratefully received. Thank you xx

PR does not run out.

Being half Filipino is not an issue.

www.pinoyau.com

i agree it should not matter whatever ur nationality is...living in adelaide for 3 yrs now...and we love it.. i also came from pnoy background..i only have few good friends..who need big or lots of friends anyway..few good ones will do and besides u meant to be spending time with ur family...i find adelaide is a good place to live..less crimes compare to bigger cities..ur welcome to come and stay ...btw im also a nurse working at the RAH