Adelaide (yes!) & Aussie Beer (nooo!)

Guest menatwork

Guest menatwork

Hi All,

I've been in Adelaide for 3 years now and have loved every moment of it - no regrets so far! Great people (largely), fantastic weather, well paid jobs and easy to get around etc. What more can you ask for?!

The answer to that is decent beer. Have any other Brits noticed just how bad Aussie beer is? Aussie's constantly criticise British beer for being warm (through their lack of understanding the difference between beer, largers, ales etc) and then confess to never having even tried British beer which is typically narrow minded of them. Push them a bit further and you generally find out that most have never left South Australia! Anyway, I’m digressing from the point. All Aussie beers are virtually tasteless – they have no hops, no character, no flavour and are always served as cold as possible to disguise just how bland they are. Everyone with half a brain knows that the colder a beer, the less you can taste so it’s pretty clear why everyone in Australia loves an ice cold beer!

Also, why do people use stubby holders? I’d understand if you were drinking a decent size bottle of beer that you might want to keep it cooler for longer, but when the vast majority of Aussie beers are served in tiny little glasses (which make my hands look huge) or in bottles with enough capacity for about 3 medium sized mouthfuls – why bother? I can’t imagine that anyone could possibly make a 375ml bottle of beer last long enough for it to get warm!

Take away the beer and the AFL (no offense!) and Australia is a great place to be!

Mate, I was in Perth a fortnight ago drinking draught Old Speckled Hen and Marston's Pedigree. I felt like I'd died and gone to heaven.

They obviously import here, so why doesn't some enterprising publican bring them to Adelaide?

BTW. You can get Tetley's Smooth on draught here and I think I've seen John Smiths Smooth also.

I do agree with everything you say, but maybe as a genuine self confessed larger lout, I can honestly say I don't mind them. I was never a real ale or beer drinker, and I didn't like how so many of our pubs didn't used to be able to serve a cold larger on a warm day. So for me maybe the beers are better, or at least taste and appear more consistent. I don't understand though how some of the better beers in my terrible opinion, Boags Premium, Cascade Premium or Crownies don't get sold as a draught beer.

I also don't get how putting aussie beers in a tin seems to make it taste of aluminium, I don't mind West End in a pub, but I will never again by a 30 can block. It felt like I was chewing foil on my fillings.

I do find the Irony of how Australians see themselves as beer drinking mens men, yet sit their with a tiny glass my nan would be embarrassed to have a larger and lime from. Give me a few proper pints and watch me fall over.

Don't take my words seriously though, I now drink Goon and pretend it's wine... ha ha.

My OH has solved this problem by getting seriously into home brewing - there is a small but very active group of people doing the same in and around Adelaide. Unfortunately I can't stand beer - any kind - so he suffers from having no-one to praise his efforts at home, but there was a get-together the other weekend he went to where everyone brought along a sample of their brews to share and compare notes. Try places like the Lobethal Brewery, the Barossa Brewery, and the Port Dock Hotel as well for soomething less "Australian" - and you may find some of TNA's posts on the subject on his blog strike a chord (http://www.thenewaustralian.org) - he's in Sydney though so it's not just Adelaide...

All Aussie beers are virtually tasteless – they have no hops, no character, no flavour and are always served as cold as possible to disguise just how bland they are.

...and all Aussies get really defensive when you tell them this.

BTW. You can get Tetley's Smooth on draught here and I think I've seen John Smiths Smooth also.

I always though all smoothflow beers tasted the same. Boddingtons was another that was ruined by the introduction of the widget. To be honest I'd sooner have Hahn or Carlton than a smoothflow anything.

They obviously import here, so why doesn't some enterprising publican bring them to Adelaide?

Supply and demand. If somewhere like the Hallet Cove Tavern had a hand pump and a line of something interesting I doubt they'd sell more than a couple of dozen per week. Mick O'Sheas had draught Newcastle Brown a few years back and they ditched it as it never sold. Somewhere like Christies Beach probably wouldn't sell any at all.

I know what you mean guys,

I dont mind the Ozzy beers but they lack variety. I am still in the UK so dont have a problem but will be there in March. Why dont we get a pommy brewing group going. You can buy books that give you the receipes for all brews. Spitfire, Old Peculiar etc

I don't mind as long as there is Stella Artois available. I don't know why but I just love it!:wink:

Some people here complain that locally brewed Stella is not the same as the Belgian stuff, I'm not sure I can honestly tell the difference and still get a slab when it's on special. I also couldn't tell the difference between Guinness at Birmingham airport v's the Guinness in Dublin pubs. Either people are really quite sensitive, or they just want to believe something is nicer nearer it's ancestral home.

I have also been told that all beers brewed in Australia are made from the same hops, hence the similar taste. I have no way of knowing if that's true, so one could take that information with a pinch of salt.

Think its only SA that has small pints. Melbourne and Sydney both have imperial sized pints as standard. Can't comment on anywhere else as I haven't been to the other cities.

I was surprised so many Melbourne pubs did imperial pints, it was a nice surprise, but I haven't found Sydney to be the same. What we call a pint in South Australia they call a schooner, can't remember what queensland calls them, is it midi's and pots.

Some people here complain that locally brewed Stella is not the same as the Belgian stuff, I'm not sure I can honestly tell the difference and still get a slab when it's on special. I also couldn't tell the difference between Guinness at Birmingham airport v's the Guinness in Dublin pubs. Either people are really quite sensitive, or they just want to believe something is nicer nearer it's ancestral home.

I have also been told that all beers brewed in Australia are made from the same hops, hence the similar taste. I have no way of knowing if that's true, so one could take that information with a pinch of salt.

I'm no expert either mate. But one thing about Stella is that it never fails to set things right with me:biglaugh: If you know what I mean.:wink:

I remember that even in Toronto and Vancouver not many pubs/bar and grills served European beer and if you found a pub that did the price was usually a little stiff and I absolutely hated the local brand Canadian. It tasted like tab water only a bit sour:confused: Back in Kuala Lumpur it was again the same story only that Carlsberg and Heineken were sold in every Seven/Eleven and pubs. I'm not that choosy though. As long as there are good people around to enjoy a pint or two and have a good laugh I'm OK:smile:

Menatwork,

You can always brew your own at ubrewit

You turn up. Choose your beer or lager from 150 varieties. Make it onsite using their equipment. Leave it at there site to ferment. Go back later to can or bottle. There are two locations in Adelaide.

http://www.ubrewit.com.au/

I've done this a couple of times. Unfortunately it was with people who preferred the lighter, lager style beers.

It's difficult to describe the end result. Best I can come up with is to think of a set of bagpipes. No matter what tune is played there is always the underlying drone that doesn't change regardless of whatever else is going on. U-Brew-It beer is the same in that there is the same underlying yeast taste in all the beers I've tried.

One tip though - if anyone wants to make some beer do not buy the bottles from U-Brew-It as they are 330ml. The bottling process involves you sticking empty bottles underneath a beer tap and pouring. Simple as that. Snag is that if you're not careful you end up with half a bottle of head.

I would recommend going to a recycler and buying a crate of empty longnecks that don't have a screw top. They'll cost you 20c per bottle but you'll get a better end result as the bottle is a better shape. Plus who in their right mind only drinks 330ml in one sitting!!

Edit: If anyone wants to try concocting something non-lager from their "Super Strength" list, Old Particular or maybe even the Barley Wine then I'm in. See Super Strength range

2nd edit: "Each brew yields 50 litres of beer ( 133 x 375ml ) ( 151 x 330ml ) ( 145 345ml or an even 100 x 500ml U-Brewit Cans."

Allow 10-15% or so for wastage and remember that as the beer contains no preservatives it must be kept refrigerated at all times.

Edited by sidestep

Allow 10-15% or so for wastage and remember that as the beer contains no preservatives it must be kept refrigerated at all times.

Surely if you drink it all really quickly that'll stop the need for refrigeration :goofy:

Guest SA Great

uuurrrggghhh the beers not the same and the tea tastes funny. the chocolates not the same.......well guess what guys...you now live in a different country and in a different country things are not the same! What is it the Aussies say? AUSTRALIA....LOVE IT OR LEAVE!

Guest moonraker1959
uuurrrggghhh the beers not the same and the tea tastes funny. the chocolates not the same.......well guess what guys...you now live in a different country and in a different country things are not the same! What is it the Aussies say? AUSTRALIA....LOVE IT OR LEAVE!

Wow thats abit OTT SA "Great"Just because you live in Australia does'nt mean you have to love the beer does it?I know aussies that hate some aussie beers and will openly admit its like drinking nats p***!Each to their own I say.