New Member-Thinking of Adelaide

Guest stum85

Hi Guys and girls

Myself(Stuart) and Grilfriend Kelly (27 and 24) are going through the process of applying for a visa. Just about to send my skills assessment away as a mechanical engineering technician. We're hopefully moving over from Glasgow.

As my occupation is on the sponsorship list for SA we are looking at Adelaide.

We would like to know peoples opinions on staying there?

We like eating out and going to the cinema and the odd drink although dont fancy mad nights out anymore just a couple of drinks before or after dinner. Is there plenty of variety in this respect?

Any other opinions on Adelaide will be welcome.

Thanks in advance :smile:

Tons of places to eat out and have a drink before/after, although how far away somewhere decent will be obviously depends where you choose to settle (Adelaide doesn't have a very big population but it's a very spread out place).

I know the OP didn't ask about Prospect, but the Reepham Hotel is another establishment known to serve alcohol in that suburb ...

Jim

That's great thanks for your replies.

Are most of these based relatively close together in the city centre or dotted about in different suburbs?

Also the girlfriend wants to know what the shopping is like :P

Shopping is average, more expensive then the UK and you have all the main shops in the Mall and Rundle st. But it gets quite boring after a while.

Food is amazing, never had a bad meal but if you in the suburbs there is very little to do. Better to stay close to the city, specially as you both young.

Grange and Henley Beach are both great, quiet suburbs but 30m by train or bus.

Adelaide is quiet and it gets boring sometimes.

Cinemas check out this one, is in the city and the one with the best selection and you can sign up to be a member and is cheaper

http://www.palacecinemas.com.au/

Just remember is quiet and can be boring but is a beautiful city.

That's great thanks for your replies.

Are most of these based relatively close together in the city centre or dotted about in different suburbs?

Also the girlfriend wants to know what the shopping is like :P

I know when I met my husband he was living in the CBD and had a great little place only a few minutes walk from shops of Chinatown, cafes and so on the city centre has to offer. He lived off Gouger St and we used to walk to the Central Market in 5 minutes or so and into Rundle mall from his place in about 15-20 via Victoria Square and King William St. Cinema was about a 15 minute walk, maybe 20 and most of the bars and cafes we liked were about the same on the north side of the CBD. And the trams and buses went from Victoria Square so could easily head out to Glenelg or elsewhere to the beach when we wanted. Also it wasn't far to head to the parklands surrounding the CBD and have a bit of space and greenery.

If I were in my 20's and it was just hubby and I still I'd probably be looking either for a beach suburb with things going on that also wasn't too far from the CBD or finding a place in the CBD somewhere.

Shop wise in Rundle Mall I always found it decent. But then I wasn't really looking for much more than a tee shirt or new pair of shoes. I bought the odd top or skirt I seem to recall. I know we had a big shop one day and hubby got a heap of shirts and some shoes and tbh much like any High St in the UK you get your big chains and off the main streets the independent stores and boutiques etc. Found plenty of great little stores we liked. Also you can still do online shopping for UK stores and get it shipped to Aus. Most of the big retailers ship out these days. Although I tend to think 'fashion' goes out the window in 30C plus and you tend to dress more for comfort if you can.

You then have the out of town shopping malls in various suburbs and they can often have cinemas and/or entertainment complexes within. I recall I saw Avatar at Marion and there were a lot of screens to choose from. Tis huge. Link below :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinatown,_Adelaide

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adelaide_Central_Markets

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_Square,_Adelaide

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rundle_Mall

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westfield_Marion

Edited by snifter

Probably the kindest way to describe shopping is 'average'. Fashion doesn't really happen here (not that such things matter to me - as a bloke who just shoves on an old pair of jeans and t-shirt!) and I don't think it's got anything to do with temperatures - there hasn't been a +30c day in the last six months but that hasn't improved anyone's dress sense!

I agree with snifter about being either in/near a fairly lively beach suburb (Henley, Glenelg, Semaphore etc) or in/near the cbd if it's just the two of you, although the cbd is really poorly served from a cinema angle.

Jim

Good places for a couple would be North Adelaide, Norwood or Glenelg. All three have lots of shops, cafes and bars. Glenelg is by the beach but has a tram line directly in to the city. North Adelaide and Norwood are both very close to the city and there is a cinema in both places.