To go or not to go

Guest skybolt

Guest skybolt

Hi

I and my husband have received our expression of interest acceptance back, we now have the decison to make of whether to apply for the visa. we have been doing our research and we are worried about finding jobs, my husband is a IT systems administrator, i am a production planner but could turn my hand to admin work, shop work etc. we were wondering what the job scenario is over there as we have been reading that it is hard to find jobs?

sorry i have a couple questions so i will just write them below...

As a rough estimate could anyone help us with what monthly outgoings there would be i.e basic grocery shop

council tax, electric etc?

house prices and where to be , which area i would rather not be in the middle of the city thou?

I know it doesn't help but it really is a kind of leap of faith type thing for many people migrating. Unless you have a job lined up via a sponsor or some such it usually is a case of making the move and looking for work once you are here. As to if the work is around, others are better placed to give info, but if you are prepared to turn your hand to anything you should hopefully find something.

Adelaide isn't exactly the IT hotbed of Aus. That seems to be more centered in Sydney and Melbourne but I have looked at SA/Adelaide job listings for specific skills and found some employers seeking.

If you are not tied to a mortgage in the UK (or can rent your property out) and there is only the two of you, I'd be inclined to give it a go. Nothing ventured and all that. If it doesn't work out or isn't for you after a while, ok you've spent some money but you can return to the UK and know you gave it a try and can then settle into life there for the longer term.

We came over 5.5 years ago and my partner came under the IT Systems Administrator category and he has never looked back. His career has gone from strength to strength and he is very happy here. He changed jobs just over a year ago and has great job satisfaction. A lot of IT work is contract work, but often once you get in somewhere and prove yourself it may lead to something more permanent.

Guest AngPhil

We have been here 10 weeks and we are loving it. We both came with no jobs and have both managed to get work doing what we did in the UK. The kids love it and don't want to go back to the UK. We keep pinching ourselves that we are actually here, it is an amazing place. It look my hubby 15 years to talk me into it and I wish I'd listened to him earlier (he doesn't hear that much).

Food seems expensive when you compare to the UK for some things $3 for a loaf of bread, but other things are much cheaper. I think we spend a similar amount on living as in the UK, but are earning more here.

Good luck

We have been here 10 weeks and we are loving it. We both came with no jobs and have both managed to get work doing what we did in the UK. The kids love it and don't want to go back to the UK. We keep pinching ourselves that we are actually here, it is an amazing place. It look my hubby 15 years to talk me into it and I wish I'd listened to him earlier (he doesn't hear that much).

Food seems expensive when you compare to the UK for some things $3 for a loaf of bread, but other things are much cheaper. I think we spend a similar amount on living as in the UK, but are earning more here.

Good luck

That's really usefull. All I seem to hear is how expensive things are, and looking at online shopping prices for coles etc it appears to be true, it's encouraging to hear a different perspective.