Moving to SA in January 2013

Dublibn2OZ

Hi

Myself and the family are moving to SA in January. I think I'm having a wobble, do we go or do we stay in Ireland. The worry is the amount of Jobs in IT and my OH as a Community worker. We have a rental in the city for 3 weeks but we are looking to see if we can rent in port noarlunga. We have two kids, 3 yrs and a 16yr old.

We have our house rented out so nothing to stop us moving but Just the job scene. I have tried to apply for jobs from Ireland but seems to be wasting my time until I arrive.

Thanks

I think having a wobble is perfectly normal. Just about everyone seems to experience this sort of conflicting range of emotions at some point during their countdown.

Often applying for jobs from overseas won't get you very far. Generally it seems to be you are much more likely to be considered once you are actually resident in Aus or at least till you are much nearer your time to depart. Think about it from an Aus employers POV - they are advertising a job, can choose between people they can interview and meet in person and start usually quite quickly or interview someone long distance who isn't due to arrive till January. For most employers waiting months for a start date isn't an option if they have a vacancy *now* or coming up very soon.

As to the actual job market, I can't comment. Have you been seeing what is listed on the tech sites and so on? And the usual job sites? Agencies and so on. If there is a real shortage of jobs actually listed on a regular basis I'd be a bit concerned but if there are jobs showing up, being filled and taken off and new ones appearing I'd take it as there is a job market there, but you'd need to be in it it to really stand a chance of getting a look in.

Hi ya,

I understand fully were your head is! We depart on the 27th Jan - Manchester - Singapore - Adelaide and are both excited and nervous at the same time. I'm a teacher and so have already handed in my notice and last week I was replaced, which left me feelign quite uneasy and questioning what the future holds. However I soon realised that my worries are grounded in those things I can't control - jobs / how kids will adapt etc. But I'm confident we will be fine on our adventure. We have two girls - 2 years and 8 years. One of Tamara's rentals sorted for 8 weeks down in Christies Beach. We loved Port Noarlunga and too would like to be around there is possible.

Keep in touch Dublin2Oz.

Karen & Jon

We have all had wobblers it is normal. We are from Ireland too and loving it here! We have 4 kids and it took a while for them to settle but they have now and everyone is happy. It is a great place for families. Pm me if you want to meet for coffee when you arrive.

Siobhan

Guest Helchops

Hi There - and welcome to the forum!!

As others have said, a wobble is a perfectly normal, and expected, part of emigration. I can, hand on heart, say that it's probably been the toughest thing we've done as a family, and it's not for the feint of heart - you'll just find yourself back on a plane to Heathrow if you're not mentally prepared.

Unless you've got tonnes of money, come expecting to start right at the bottom again; housing, jobs, cars etc...I would say that unless you've got $50K to spend the second you arrive (or bring everything with you - which we couldn't afford to do) you'll probably be starting from scratch again...which is no bad thing...but just expect it because you might find yourself longing for those things if you don't prepare yourself for it.

With regard to jobs, I managed to find one while living in the UK and had the usual Skype interview. I was really lucky to find lovely employers and a great company - and to be honest, I only applied for that one! I wasn't really actively searching for work before we arrived as I'd been put off by so many people saying it's impossible. I just happened to see this company and thought they were a great fit for me. My partner, who's a teacher on the other hand has struggled - but speaking to other teachers here has been told she's done amazingly well to get the work she has got! (relief teaching). I firmly believe that if you work smart instead of hard at finding a job, you will before you arrive. Market yourself well though.

The other thing I find, is that Australia really seems to be full of really enthusiastic, hard working, smart and determined people and there is a lot of competition for the best jobs out there at the minute. You can certainly get them - and looking around, there are no signs of a recession when compared to the UK - but it's how long you could survive without one.

We had three - six months of savings we gathered and knew we could survive for that long with neither of us employed. This provided a real safety net; and with me getting work before we arrived, meant we could actually save quite a lot of that toward a house deposit in a couple of years.

Edited by Helchops

Hello DublintoOZ!!!

My husband, son and I made the move to Oz last year and we moved from Wexford.We're so glad we made the move, as we have a better lifestyle out here, better weather too. At the moment My son and I are living in Brisbane and my husband is working in Adelaide. We're joining him in December.

Would be good to meet some fellow irish in Adelaide.:smile:

Guest Cornish Pasties

Hi there,

We also arrive in Adelaide in jan & like you guys have not already secured jobs. We are going on Hubby's visa (he's an aircraft engineer) he has sent a few C.V's out but the general consensus is that he should contact them again when he arrives. I suppose if you look at it from their point of view then nothing is definate until you land on Oz soil i.e you might not emigrate at all or delay it for one reason or another. So I do not think I would worry about it too much - yes the ideal would be to have a job lined up but reckon he/she who dares..normally wins!

Good luck with everything

Zoe

Hi there,

We are also from Dublin and moved here with a 2 year old and 12 year in 2009. We have had ups and downs but Adelaide is home and we love it here. Great place, in my opinion, to bring up kids. You do need to take a leap of faith but the hardest part of the decision is making it. Go for it and have no regrets. There are a few Irish around and some social networks. PM me and I will help anyway I can. We understand coz we were there!

Regards

Hi

Myself and the family are moving to SA in January. I think I'm having a wobble, do we go or do we stay in Ireland. The worry is the amount of Jobs in IT and my OH as a Community worker. We have a rental in the city for 3 weeks but we are looking to see if we can rent in port noarlunga. We have two kids, 3 yrs and a 16yr old.

We have our house rented out so nothing to stop us moving but Just the job scene. I have tried to apply for jobs from Ireland but seems to be wasting my time until I arrive.

Thanks

Guest Rustyspoon

I'm in a similar position to the OP apart from the fact we took the plunge and arrived in Adelaide on Sunday.My wife is looking for community support / counselling role and I'm looking for an IT role.We did a good bit of saving but as another poster put it you are starting at the bottom again but hopefully we have enough put by in case work isn't there in the first few weeks or months.So far I like the look of Adelaide, took the tram to Glenelg today in the coolish sun. Am hoping for work calls after spending the last few days applying and in agency meetings.Looking forward to getting out and meeting people or getting involved in community or sports etc so would appreciate any ideas or contacts, we are currently near Hyde park.So OP, for us its so far so good, it takes courage but we hope that it will pay off in days like today at the beach.

Guest Rustyspoon
thanks Rustyspoon, we are going to take the plunge and give it a go
We had our wobbles too before leaving Ireland it's only natural.Send me a PM if you need any info etc.