hi

Guest James Burrows

Guest James Burrows

Hi everyone,

Thats us done 3 weeks in Adelaide now, currently staying at Quest waiting for our stuff to turn up, hopefully be with us mid December!!

I think we're most likely going to settle down south in Seaford or Port Norlunga area.

We're still trying to find a car though, any suggestions? we nearly got swindled by a guy selling a repaired written off vehicle!

James, Sara, Poppy & Oscar.

A lot of written off vehicles are auctioned off by insurance companies as "economical write offs" These can be repaired cheaply by those with the know how. Also a lot of vehicles that have minor damage are shipped around Australia after being fixed. As long as the vehicle is then deemed roadworthy, it's legal.

As for finding a car, you can tour the many car yards on Main North Rd, go to the companies which auction off cars, or look in the trading post. Sometimes there are cars advertised on here. If you buy from a dealer, then it will come with a warranty for a couple of months depending on price you paid.

Alternatively buy a cheapy and just drive it til it falls apart. :D.

There are plenty of dealers on Main South Road.

The government has an auction every couple of weeks. It used to be in Transport Avenue (where else!) Netley but I think that they might have outsourced it now. The government cars usually have around 60,000 km on them and many of them have been converted to dual fuel.

Have a look at: http://www.pickles.com.au/cars/promotions/-/content/SAFleet

Tamara

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

G'day James, welcome to Australia and to the forum.

I arrived some 32 years ago and have been through the first car thing. I'd advise that you look carefully but buy cheaply as you may well need cash for something more urgent than a car. Get settled first, then buy your 'expensive' car. There are plenty of good cars out there and at reasonable prices.

I'm at Morphett Vale so if you need help, mainly of the advice type, get back to me. My wife and I are retired now and have learned a thing or two along the way.

Good Luck to you and your's. DON'T be put off by this hot weather. It's short lived and you will survive it.

Cheers, Doug

• 2 weeks later...
Guest James Burrows

Thanks Doug,

We managed to pick up a little Jalopy to keep us going; and have moved down out of the city near to the beach

I hope that you are enjoying your retirement; I can't wait for mine here!!!

James.

Thanks Doug,

We managed to pick up a little Jalopy to keep us going; and have moved down out of the city near to the beach

I hope that you are enjoying your retirement; I can't wait for mine here!!!

James.

Ah, at least you're mobile, but where's "down out of the city near to the beach"?