Info on Adelaide

Guest dodo

Hi All I am new on here and was looking for some information about Adelaide, My husband and I are hoping to move out next spring, I am a Staff Nurse off 10 years and my husband is an australian ( but brought back over to scotland when he was a child) and works as a IT Officer. The questions are : Would we get jobs easy and what is Adelaide like to live in also where not to stay in Adelaide? (my husband is from Melbourne.)

we are in our 30s and 40s.

Thanks for any information.

Hello and welcome :)

Good luck with the move.

With regards to where not to live, everyone has their own preference of what they like and don't like. And often the 'where to avoid' or 'where not to live' threads can become a bit heated as of course, not everyone agrees.

The subject matter was discussed recently and there is a thread on it here. Perhaps have a read of that and see if there is anything of use there. People also mention areas they like.

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/renting-real-estate/33499-what-suburbs-should-we-avoid.html

Often where you end up living comes down to your budget, commute times to work and things like schools if you have kids. There are some very nice suburbs in northern Adelaide apparently. And also some good ones in the east (pricey) and the south. I am sure you could find places in all those directions that you'd be happy with.

• 4 weeks later...

In your 30's and 40's eh, so you don't have long to get in right? Firstly, nursing staff is always wanted, particularly if you're specialized in some way. It may well be advisable though, to nominate for a country area rather than a city location initially. Fully trained staff are hard to come by out in the sticks (not talking desert country here) and there are many beautiful small town hospitals around.

As for you husband, IT techies are needed all over. Dependent on his knowledge and ability, he may well be able to work from home or even start his own business. The government may even help with that.

Cast you net far and wide to catch the first you're desperate to snare.

Good luck guys.

In the south is Noarlunga hospital, from Seaford it's easy to get to the CBD (Royal Adelaide or Wmns and Children's) or Flinders. The there are many jobs in the community too, Non Government Organisations NGOs receive govt. funding and are responsible for the provision of many and varied services. Hb can get job in all sorts of places depending on his work history and qualifications, important that he has everything documented when applying. From Christies Beach, down the coast through Port Noarlunga, PN Sth, Seaford,Moana, Seaford Rise, Aldinga and beyond are some lovely places to live within walking distance to the beach. Every area has schools, library, surf life saving clubs, RSL (British Legion) and so on, community services are very good in general. Seaford will have a brand new train station in the coming months for even easier access to CBD. Hallett Cove has a vibrant ex pat population inc. many Scots but you definetely need a car as there is no train and the beach is ... 'scuse me...crap. (stony). Really though, if you have each other and are determined to go for it together, you'll make it work, none of it is that especially hard . Good luck

Guest BackToAdelaide

Just to clarify, they shouldn't have any issues with age limits as they hubby is an Australian citizen (no visa required) and dodo will be able to apply for a partner visa.