Advice on which removal company to use

kadina

Posted this a few days back in the shipping section but have had no response, can anyone help please?

I am needing some advice please on PSS and Pickfords removal companies I have had quotes from both and they are both very competitive price wise so I am after any recommendations on which one to use to help me make my decision on the two, no negative comments on the site please, any advice you can give would be much appreciated but by private message please, thanks in advance :unsure:

Guest Cornish Pasties

Hi,

I am using Pickfords & so far so good. We have 20' on its' way to Adelaide. The removal guys were great & so experienced at packing a whole house up - it was lovely just to sit, watch & make them cups of tea! We also found that Pickfords were as competitive as PSS but we are down in Cornwall so PSS wouldn't do a home survey for us so that put them out of the running.

I have just been contacted by the Adelaide branch of Pickfords & they seem pretty on the ball as well.

Think you would be pretty safe with either company as from feedback I have read it seems that they provide a good service.

Best of luck

Posted this a few days back in the shipping section but have had no response, can anyone help please?

I am needing some advice please on PSS and Pickfords removal companies I have had quotes from both and they are both very competitive price wise so I am after any recommendations on which one to use to help me make my decision on the two, no negative comments on the site please, any advice you can give would be much appreciated but by private message please, thanks in advance :unsure:

Pickfords did a great job for us - from packing to unpacking. Job done. Big Tick.

Guest vikkiann

It's the luck of the draw.

We used a company, had ours delivered in July and am still waiting for the insurance to pay out from where they smashed our bedroom suite to pieces as well as lots of other items

Im sorry but I dont get why everybody allows the removals company to pack? I would never allow the removals company to pack as I want to clean, check and correctly pack everything prior to leaving. Sad I know but we keep alot of original boxes and packaging in our loft.

I deal with removals co's sometimes with my work and Pickfords are fine although I dont trust their storage facilities during peak times (not applicable in this instance as the items are to be shipped not stored), Bonner are becoming very popular and my company now has a formal agreement with them. PSS I dont know about.

Also a lot of these companies charge on volume and if they pack for you then they tend to bulk things up....my brothers friend who moved within HK found the removals company had even bubble wrapped breakfast cereals!! As mentioned previously we will pack ourselves using original packaging where possible.

S

Edited by srg73

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mr mover

One important thing to remember with Pickfords. When you use them, you get Allied pickfords ,in Oz to do your delivery {the same company] both being owned by the Sirva group. Most other companies apart from Crown use a sub contractor, so there is less accountability...................MM

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for your feedback.

I have always been told that when moving overseas, especially oz as they are very fussy, items have to be packed by the removalists or they will not be insured, also there is more chance that things will get inspected at customs if packed yourself, also original packing causes problems cause items can be considered new by customs. also if using a shipping crate the boxes the removalists use all fit in the container correnctly original packinging can cause problems with fitting it all in. by all means pack things yourself but I think it can cause a lot of problems at the other end, regards :)

Guest Guest9815

we used pickfords coming out here, they were good, dont think we will use for our return

Guest Jersey Bean

I used pickfords, white company, crown relocation, E movers

all ok but you got to supervise my furniture is trashed what can I say... Think stop caring the first trip!! Tbh ?

I recently used Pickfords out of Truro, packed everything myself to make sure a) any breakages are my fault! b) pack tight so no bulking out and extra expense. (I have sent numerous things over past 20 years UK to ADL the only trouble I had was years ago when stuff came in through Melbourne, lots of things missing mostly antique items) I bought the boxes from Pickfords and the packing materials from a little company in Pool, down by East Pool mine. Much cheaper if you are a good packer and know what you are doing. Things were inspected at customs but not disturbed, spoke often to the receivers in Adelaide so knew exactly how things were going. No problems from beginning to end. This time a couple hundred pieces of Fosters Pottery, not a crack in a single piece

Thanks so much for the feedback on that we are probably going to be using Pickfords.

Its the making tea/ bacon sandwiches etc that worries me lol, even watched the program that was on tv and all they seem to do is drink tea, we are moving back for a 2nd time never made even a tea for the ozzies movers coming back here, everything from packed up, they went off and had there own lunches I never even gave it a thought to make them a tea or anything was far too busy, doubt I will have time now not easy when you have two kids to look after it will be the last thing I have time for don't think them guys are gonna like me much lol xx

Hi,

I am using Pickfords & so far so good. We have 20' on its' way to Adelaide. The removal guys were great & so experienced at packing a whole house up - it was lovely just to sit, watch & make them cups of tea! We also found that Pickfords were as competitive as PSS but we are down in Cornwall so PSS wouldn't do a home survey for us so that put them out of the running.

I have just been contacted by the Adelaide branch of Pickfords & they seem pretty on the ball as well.

Think you would be pretty safe with either company as from feedback I have read it seems that they provide a good service.

Best of luck

We used PSS coming over at the end of October. Their quote was the cheapest from several companies. We had one 40ft and one 20ft bringing household goods and 2 cars! The packers were fantastic, worked hard all day for 3 days with limited breaks. Everything was loaded up and sent off. We received the household goods yesterday. They passed without any trouble through customs and quarantine and Kent Removals delivered them to the house. They unpacked, made up beds and tables etc and were friendly and efficient. There have been a couple of minor incidents of damage which we will talk to the companies about but overall we have been very happy with the service they provide. Hope that is helpful. Sarah-Jane

Yes many thanks Sarah-Jane :wink:

We used PSS coming over at the end of October. Their quote was the cheapest from several companies. We had one 40ft and one 20ft bringing household goods and 2 cars! The packers were fantastic, worked hard all day for 3 days with limited breaks. Everything was loaded up and sent off. We received the household goods yesterday. They passed without any trouble through customs and quarantine and Kent Removals delivered them to the house. They unpacked, made up beds and tables etc and were friendly and efficient. There have been a couple of minor incidents of damage which we will talk to the companies about but overall we have been very happy with the service they provide. Hope that is helpful. Sarah-Jane

I meant to say also we were thinking of shipping a car too but not sure I can be bothered with the hassle seemed to get different advcie on it from everyone so many people to contact found a company in adelaide that would deal with it all don't think its worth our while, did you use a particular company?? I imagine you had pretty good cars to make it worth while ?? just sounds like a hassle think hubby has decided not to bother now as extra work to sort it all out xx

The cars also went with PSS, and are being processed through customs and quarantine next week. The removal firm Kents who operate in partnership with PSS this end in Adelaide have organised someone to value them and then booked the customs and quarantine guys to come next week. We are expecting to have them recleaned and then hopefully they we will be free to leave port. Then we will present the vehicle import approval forms for both cars and on temporary driving permits paid for and ordered through a local government office, we will then drive the cars to the inspection place in Regency. We are attempting to do all the paperwork ourselves, as the quotes for someone else to do it were huge. We will see how it goes! As far as what cars they are ... well O/H adores his old but in perfect nick Mercedes CLK 320 convertible so that HAD to come and I have an old S type Jag. Both cars are worth very little in the UK but worth considerably more here if we were to sell. Once we are through the whole process and get the cars back, I will put it all including the costs on the forum so that maybe it helps somebody else. It is definitely some thing else to have to think about on top of the move itself but for us it was something we wanted to try. Sarah-Jane

One thing I'd advise to make sure of is the time you have owned the car and the current rules regarding length of ownership as this has relevance on the import duty. I'm rather out of date regarding the info but (an I am talking years ago) if you had only had the car a short time (Back then two years) it was not deemed as bringing in your own car but importing one.