Just accepted a job in Adelaide

Guest Bluebell

Guest Bluebell

Hi everyone,

I've just decided to accept a job offer in Adelaide over Melbourne after many hours of research on this and other sites ahhhhhh. Coming over with me will be my husband and 2 boys aged 12 and 7, it is now beginning to seem more real and I'm excited but terrified at the same time. Looking forward to spending many a happy hour trawling the site for advice. Thanks in advance :)

This place definitely gets into your bones very quickly...I may be a Pom but I am a happy expat Geordie in Adelaide

I work in one of the roughest areas in Adelaide (Kilburn) and I love it...welcome and safe journey to lovely Adelaide

;-)

Ridz & Co.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi everyone,

I've just decided to accept a job offer in Adelaide over Melbourne after many hours of research on this and other sites ahhhhhh. Coming over with me will be my husband and 2 boys aged 12 and 7, it is now beginning to seem more real and I'm excited but terrified at the same time. Looking forward to spending many a happy hour trawling the site for advice. Thanks in advance :)

Welcome Bluebell. I'm new to the forum as well but I'm already a true blue Ozzie. Been here for 32 years.

Let me say, you have made 2 first class decisions so far.

1. Coming to Australia.

2. Choosing Adelaide over Melbourne.

I don't really need to expand on 1 above, do I? Oz is a great place to live. So diverse in it's Flora and Fauna. You'll be hard pushed to see it all.

Adelaide is, imho, the perfect city. Not too big, not too small. Clean, well laid out, full of interesting sub area's, good alfresco eating, theaters, zoo, river walks, museums, universities, more than enough hospitals, and reasonable public transport even though the trains are a bit chaotic at the moment as they're being electicised (is there such a word?).

Melbourne on the other hand, is like Sydney. Huge, sprawling concrete jungles with hideous traffic conditions. The only thing going for Sydney is the harbour, and as for Melbourne.......................

Come back with any questions and I'll help if I can.

Cheers, Doug

Guest conner755

What kind of job have you just got? im a newly qualifield RGN and was wondering how easy it is to gain employement in Adelaide without my husband already having a job??

Hi conner75

We had the same choice as you...what I did is I got my wife (I was an disability employment consultant in UK so knew how to do CV) a job from UK first.

Go onto SA Health website or SEEK and have a look on there as that is where I found my wife's job.

I have came out here and retrained...ish, in just over 15 months I now have qualifications for the first time in my life...lol.

We love it here and so do all my family...and the money is better than hand to mouth every month like it was in UK...BUT it does not have streets paved with gold, and I consider ourselves lucky as some others have not been as fortunate as us...

Enjoy the ride and the life...for us in any case is worth every pain and worry that I personally had... ;-)

Hope that helps

Ridz