Sprouts!!

siem&noah

Getting ready for our first christmas here and one thing I have not come across is sprouts! Can you get them here, hope so as christmas dinner will not be the same without them!!!!:arghh:

Hi siem&noah:

We had 18 traditional Christmas dinners in the years we lived in Adelaide and always had sprouts. However, you won't find fresh ones, so you'll have to buy frozen. That's what we always did. Coles, Woolies, Foodland supermarkets should sell them.

Merry Christmas and a fantastic New Year!! xx

Guest Sachertorte

I buy brussel sprouts from time to time (albeit in the winter) from Coles and Foodland- have you tried to ask customer services in store? Failing finding them fresh, you should be able to find them in the frozen isle.

Please be patient- you are in Australia now :)

Enjoy your Xmas dinner-!

Edited by Sachertorte

Guest Sachertorte
Yep,loads around both fresh and frozen .

Don't want to be in my house when I've eaten them!!!:arghh::arghh::biglaugh:

Ha ha Tyke!

Well we don't seem to have that problem... I will tell you a story about this.

When I was at Uni in London, I had an inspiration about reinventing the much maligned sprout after seeing an advert from British Airways on a billboard showing one overflowing and huge bowl of boiled sprouts with a slogan underneath reading "Time to leave the country".

I decided they had an unfair write-up and I would "Italianise" them. Here is how.

I stir fried shallots and cubes of pancetta (substitute with Danish smoked bacon) with juniper berries and when the fat was rendered (browned) I would set aside the lot leaving some oil and fat in the pot and then add the sprouts and toss them briefly in the fat/bacon juices. At this point I would add enough boiling water (covered by 4 in of water, adjust salt), 3 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar and let them boil as usual. Strain, put in serving dish and add back the shallots/pancetta combo and see how your tummy likes it better.

Since then I have seen Nigella doing the same thing on TV and thought "well, Nigella approves too"

:smile:

we are heading into christmas number 4 - i agree that they are hard to come by but I have seen them in Coles and woolies, both fresh and frozen. At my childrens request and to keep tradition we have had a full on uk Christmas dinner each year however this year I have caved into the heat and opted for a bbq and salads for tea!! We are a long way north of Adelaide and quite a bit hotter during the day so this is our first real ozzie Christmas.

I hope you and yours have a lovely Christmas, possibly very different to ones experienced previously - it took us a while( and severe sunburn )to become to accustomed to hot christmases however now it is the norm.

We have made wonderful friends who we enjoy spending christmas with - sadly their children would like me to provide an english christmas including yorkshire puddings - they are out of luck this year - maybe next year.......

I got fresh sprouts from Adelaide fresh fruitiers on Main South road Morphet Vale on thursday. I must admit that there wasn't a massive amount but definately enough for us and i have only had one year - and this will be our 9th Christmas here - where I really had to run around to try and find them.

Happy Christmas everyone!!!:xmas15: