electrical training centers and licence adelaide

Guest bill carmichael

Guest bill carmichael

Hello everyone ,

myself and family are moving out to Adelaide, around April 2013 , i am a time served qualified electrician,

can anyone recommend a training center where they run courses for the Australian wiring regs , and possible other quals i may need to do

so i can obtain my licence

kind regards

Bill

Hello everyone ,

myself and family are moving out to Adelaide, around April 2013 , i am a time served qualified electrician,

can anyone recommend a training center where they run courses for the Australian wiring regs , and possible other quals i may need to do

so i can obtain my licence

kind regards

Bill

Hi mate, best to get in touch with PEER, they are the best to sort wiring regs out, but first apply to the TRA when you arrive to get your electrical licence, they will then decide if you need further training.

http://www.peer.com.au

hope this helps.

Guest bill carmichael

Hi appreciate that info, i am just going through the trades skill assessment stage now and its driving me crazy , all the assessments here to get recognized then when i get to Adelaide, more of the same , white cards etc and not to mention the dollars !

No worries if it was easy it wouldn't be worth it :cool:

regards

bill

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Interested in the same as me and my partner are starting the process soon, but i will be going on her visa if approved. i qualified 2 years ago but had a more stable job offer that meant I haven't kept up with all my knowledge. I am under no illusion that i would have to re-train so any other hints and tips other than the above would be great.

Hope to hear from you Bill/Zak

Regards Chris

Hi Guys,

Interested in the same as me and my partner are starting the process soon, but i will be going on her visa if approved. i qualified 2 years ago but had a more stable job offer that meant I haven't kept up with all my knowledge. I am under no illusion that i would have to re-train so any other hints and tips other than the above would be great.

hi, PEER is the way to go, seven day course, can be over three weeks or one plus two days, (there is TAFE but thats 18 weeks of night school) if you are fresh out of college you should walk it,, its not hard but it is certainly not easy.

not knowing what your electrical back ground is, if you have done testing, or passed your C&G inspection and testing it will help.

it is not like the uk wiring regs course,,, no multi guess exam. 7 days writing clauses out, and dont plan to be doing anything else over the weekends or nights of the course because if you want to pass first time you will have to put the effort in. the course is based around alot of maths, while in the uk we do more actural testing.

the ozz wiring course is not cheap. about $790.00. and the books you need about $630.00.

but YOU must join CITB as soon as you get here and they sub the course so you only pay $300 but you will still have to get the books.

also you need to go to skill regonition services they will help with the TRA part. then one day and a fist full of dollars more you may get a licence.

enjoy.. but least is not raining like worc's

Hi Guys,

hi, PEER is the way to go, seven day course, can be over three weeks or one plus two days, (there is TAFE but thats 18 weeks of night school) if you are fresh out of college you should walk it,, its not hard but it is certainly not easy.

not knowing what your electrical back ground is, if you have done testing, or passed your C&G inspection and testing it will help.

it is not like the uk wiring regs course,,, no multi guess exam. 7 days writing clauses out, and dont plan to be doing anything else over the weekends or nights of the course because if you want to pass first time you will have to put the effort in. the course is based around alot of maths, while in the uk we do more actural testing.

the ozz wiring course is not cheap. about $790.00. and the books you need about $630.00.

but YOU must join CITB as soon as you get here and they sub the course so you only pay $300 but you will still have to get the books.

also you need to go to skill regonition services they will help with the TRA part. then one day and a fist full of dollars more you may get a licence.

enjoy.. but least is not raining like worc's

Thanks for the useful info.

I have done C&G level 3 Certificate in Electrotechnical Technology Installation (Buildings and Structures), 1 of the parts towards this qual is inspection, testing and commissioning. Is this the testing your referring to or do you mean 2391 (Domestic installation inspecting and testing) the course is £500 over here, which i would gladly do if it was recognised in Aus and didn't have to do it again.

Do the courses that PEER concentrate on the practical side of the trade and TAFE all of the electronic principles (which i have already done)?

Sorry for all the questions.

Chris

Thanks for the useful info.

I have done C&G level 3 Certificate in Electrotechnical Technology Installation (Buildings and Structures), 1 of the parts towards this qual is inspection, testing and commissioning. Is this the testing your referring to or do you mean 2391 (Domestic installation inspecting and testing) the course is £500 over here, which i would gladly do if it was recognised in Aus and didn't have to do it again.

Do the courses that PEER concentrate on the practical side of the trade and TAFE all of the electronic principles (which i have already done)?

Sorry for all the questions.

Chris

hi,

yeah i mean 2391 inspection and testing, but if you havent all ready got it, you would have to think twice, as i have found out the ozzys dont recognise anything from the uk!!

PEER and TAFE i believe is the same course for the wiring regs, PEER is like mmmm Birmingham electrical training, (course over 7 whole days) and TAFE is the college night school( 3 hours a week for 18 weeks)..

there is hardly any practical to the course.. a fare bit of maths.. lots and lots of writing and a hour or so practical test ( which you should be able to do in half hour) on a test rig of a distrubution and socket outlets. which has faults put on it to find. with the power off.. no live testing, all done with a megger and ohm meter, so no rcd tests, to be honest as far as comparing the ozzy way to 2391 its a joke, i'm still registered as a NICEIC approved contractor in the uk, worc's infact. the stuff i had to put on a NICEIC elect cert by comparison to the ozzy way.

some of the examples used in the class room of circuit values (Ze)s would not comply in the uk.

do you understand things like Ze, Zs, max demand, derating factors for cables, voltdrop, because the course is full of it.

in ozz you derate a cable for being clip to wood, and england you can rate up a cable for being clipped direct!! its all to do with the back groundheat here! as apposed to the uk where to back ground takes heat out of the cable..increasing it load capacity.

hope it helps

Guest ceejay

hi,

yeah i mean 2391 inspection and testing, but if you havent all ready got it, you would have to think twice, as i have found out the ozzys dont recognise anything from the uk!!

PEER and TAFE i believe is the same course for the wiring regs, PEER is like mmmm Birmingham electrical training, (course over 7 whole days) and TAFE is the college night school( 3 hours a week for 18 weeks)..

there is hardly any practical to the course.. a fare bit of maths.. lots and lots of writing and a hour or so practical test ( which you should be able to do in half hour) on a test rig of a distrubution and socket outlets. which has faults put on it to find. with the power off.. no live testing, all done with a megger and ohm meter, so no rcd tests, to be honest as far as comparing the ozzy way to 2391 its a joke, i'm still registered as a NICEIC approved contractor in the uk, worc's infact. the stuff i had to put on a NICEIC elect cert by comparison to the ozzy way.

some of the examples used in the class room of circuit values (Ze)s would not comply in the uk.

do you understand things like Ze, Zs, max demand, derating factors for cables, voltdrop, because the course is full of it.

in ozz you derate a cable for being clip to wood, and england you can rate up a cable for being clipped direct!! its all to do with the back groundheat here! as apposed to the uk where to back ground takes heat out of the cable..increasing it load capacity.

hope it helps

Yes I do understand Ze, Zs and all the others you mentioned, never had any problems with them before and what you say makes sense about the background heat, i expect cables run in loft spaces has to be very over rated when you compare cable sizes in the UK.

Thanks for your help.

Chris

hi,

hope it helps

Not sure that's true mate. How a cable is installed and whether it is surrounded or enclosed is just a method of installation. Things that derate cables would be ambient temperatures, buried, bunched the same sort of things that 'derate' a cable in the UK. It's exactly the same as in the UK but just with different loading values. Whether a cable is clipped to a surface or clipped direct never let us 'uprate it' we used the tabled values for the method of installation from BS7671 to determine the rating of the cable, it's exactly the same here but just with different values from AS3008. Obviously a cable that is unenclosed can carry more load which is the same here as well as back home.

Just my opinion though ;)

I wouldn't bother with the 2391 as it will not get you out of the testing side of the course so save your money. Unless of course you can't test then get some practice in.

Good luck.

Edited by minty

Not sure that's true mate. How a cable is installed and whether it is surrounded or enclosed is just a method of installation. Things that derate cables would be ambient temperatures, buried, bunched the same sort of things that 'derate' a cable in the UK. It's exactly the same as in the UK but just with different loading values. Whether a cable is clipped to a surface or clipped direct never let us 'uprate it' we used the tabled values for the method of installation from BS7671 to determine the rating of the cable, it's exactly the same here but just with different values from AS3008. Obviously a cable that is unenclosed can carry more load which is the same here as well as back home.

Just my opinion though ;)

I wouldn't bother with the 2391 as it will not get you out of the testing side of the course so save your money. Unless of course you can't test then get some practice in.

Good luck.

hi ok...

its sunday morning and i dont want to spent a lot of time on this... from my understanding and

its a forum, just a guide... yeah i concur i wouldnt bother doing the 2391 if your on your way here... but if you have no experience of Ze, max demand etc it would help.. and yes there are a lot of electricians out there who wont. it may help to start to get your head round it.before you do the course here

the term i used "uprate it" yeah not a correct term, but hay its a forum, i guess i should have used "derate it less",

regards

Just trying to point out that it's not electrical science reinvented its universal and the principles are the same. Slightly different methods of installation with different accessories but we use the same principles. If people understood the principles at home then they understand them here. If people can test properly in the UK which from experience is as bad there as it is here then they will be fine.

Just pointing out that a lot of people and I'm not saying you claim it is a completely different world and what it really was is they never understood what they were doing back at home.