Hello

Guest texas

Guest texas

Hello, I am new to the site. Hoping to be out in Adelaide by September. Being sponsored by a company in Adelaide. We are a family of three, boy aged 9 called Alfie and we are in the South of England (but from up north originally).

I have loadsa questions, but will try and get them out in decent intervals!!!!

My husband has family in Glenelg, Marion and Strathalbyn, so we are lucky in that respect. We will be living in Glenelg for three months and hope we can buy somewhere farily quickly, although the prices of the properties are getting very high and the dollar exchange rate going down, not a good combination, will have to see how it goes. Not selling house yet, waiting...

Does anyone know if we get and equivalent of the child benefit payments over there, ie the old family allowance which is currently £18.00 P/W in the UK? Just out of interest.

Anyway, hello again and goodbye for now.

:o:nah:

Guest Libby1971

I would have thought so if your hubbie is Aussie. If you have permanent residency in your passport as part of the visa, you can claim child allowance, childcare allowance and rent assistance. I think this is what you can claim anyway.

Nice to have you join us

Libby

Guest texas

Thanks Libby,

We are both British, some of his relatives emigrated in the 60's on the £10 pom thingy! We are travelling on a sponsored visa, which will be a permanent visa.

Have you been over there long?

Regards,

Carole, Edge & Alfie:v_SPIN:

Guest mOZzy

hello carole and family and welcome to pia :wubclub:

sounds like you've got some help already with having family over!!

good luck with the whole process and just ask away ;)

If you are eligible for child allowance, it's worked out on your income. For this year the max payable for a child under 13 is $145 per fortnight. This decreases depending on how much your income is above a set level down to a base rate of $46.90 a fortnight. There is a further cut off where the base rate decreases until you are not eligible for any payment. There is also a supplement paid at the end of the tax year of around $600 per child if you receive any child benefits during the yr.

If your family income is $91 542 or more a year (plus $3 650 for each Family Tax Benefit child after the first) the base rate (Table 1) of Family Tax Benefit Part A will reduce by 30 cents for each dollar over that amount until your payment stops.

For more info go to http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/payments/ftb_a.htm

Rachel

Guest texas

Thanks all,

It is great to hear from so many people. The information you have all provided is first class, thank you.

I do Email husbands relatives in Adelaide a lot with questions, however they are in their eighties and information on education and child related things, they haven't had to deal with for many years, so they are a bit out of touch. They do provide me with lots of other information and have been sending me food brochures!!! Gives us an idea of how expensive everything is!! Seems that most stuff costs about the same as over here.

Are there any bad flyers out there? I hate flying and haven't flown since 2002, we have been to France every year to avoid having to fly!!! I will need valium I think before the flight to Australia!!! I am dreading it!!! Wish I could sail there, but the cruise ships only leave in January. Anyone got any ideas?!!! ha ha!

Regards,

Carole, Edge & Alfie:D

Hey that was a good idea your rellies sending you their food junk mail. All the big supermarkets offload their weekly catalogs into my postbox, and the variety ones like Kmart, Target etc. If anyone wants my junk mail sent on just send me your address. I don't mind cos it would only be about the cost of a biggish letter. The shops like Kmart, harris Scarfe sell clothes, bedding, crockery, toys and stuff, can't think of your equivilent... maybe ASDA without the food.

well not at first, we emigrated 2 years ago, but sadly came back to britain, (yes i can imagine all your faces at the mo), we have regretted it ever since but now going back when the house sell. Silv