Moving to Adelaide in Feb

Guest mtorchard

Guest mtorchard

Hello

My husband is being sponsored for a 457 visa, we are nervous and excited at the same time. We have two children 10 and 16 who are excited aswell.

The employer wants my husband over there by the 20th Feb so we have a tight deadline to get everything ready plus we've never been to Adelaide before.

Tracey

Guest moonraker1959

Hi mtorchard and welcome to PIA.Just wanted to send best wishes for a happy bright future.Adelaide is a great place,easy to get around and warm! lol Where abouts are you heading?

Guest deardos

Welcome !! I am also moving in Feb 12th my flight goes out. My job starts on the 25th. We can meet up if you want. My family are coming over in in May Jo 37 and twins aged 18months

Guest mtorchard

Thanks for your kind wishes. My husband will be working in O'Connell Street, North Adelaide. We are going to book into a motel for the first two weeks of getting into Adelaide,what areas do you suggest we look to rent when we are there?

Guest mtorchard

Nice to hear from someone else going over the same time as us. We have decided to all go over together apart from our Dog, he will have to stay until May so he has the shortest time in quarantine.

It would be good to meet up, were heading for the North of Adelaide what about you?

Just to say good luck with the move - that's a pretty short time frame, so you'll be running around trying to catch up with yourselves!

We're over on the west side of the city (Henley, Lockleys, Fulham, West Beach...) and it's easy for getting into the city from here but for North Adelaide all suburbs north of Glenelg are probably good to be looking at for ease - as you'll find though, everyone on here has an opinion about where's best; you'll just have to decide for yourself once you're here what it is you're looking for in an area.

Enjoy all the newness and adventure.

ps - I was an Orchard before I got married - you don't see too many around.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, we are arriving 27th Feb. It's myself, my husband and my little boy (3 yrs old). Our daft cat (who is really more like a dog but without the barking) will be joining us in May (sob!). We are planning to live on the coast anywhere from N Glenelg to North Haven, but focusing on Henley, Grange and Semaphore areas. Starting to get v nervous know and feel like I am about to jump out of a plane without actually knowing whether or not the parachute will open.

Good luck to all us Feb arrivals!

L x

Guest mtorchard

Nice to hear from you Leanne, my dog will arrive in May also but then be in quarantine for a month. Maybe we can chat when we get over to Adelaide or sob about missing our pets over a cup of tea.

Tracey

Nice to hear from you Leanne, my dog will arrive in May also but then be in quarantine for a month. Maybe we can chat when we get over to Adelaide or sob about missing our pets over a cup of tea.

Tracey

Great Idea! x

Hi there, we are arriving 27th Feb. It's myself, my husband and my little boy (3 yrs old). Our daft cat (who is really more like a dog but without the barking) will be joining us in May (sob!). We are planning to live on the coast anywhere from N Glenelg to North Haven, but focusing on Henley, Grange and Semaphore areas. Starting to get v nervous know and feel like I am about to jump out of a plane without actually knowing whether or not the parachute will open.

L x

Hi Leanne,

My husband and I arrived in Adelaide 2 weeks ago (from Melbourne where we were for a year, and London before that). We are living in Henley Beach and love it so far. We were recommended by an ex-Adelaidean to live anywhere between West Beach/Henley Beach South up to Semaphore. Best advise we got so far I think! Grange and Henley Beach have a couple of bars/cafes/restaurants and we have found that the bus directly into the city takes around 30mins and last night we caught the bus to Glenleg for a bit of a night out and got a taxi home that cost us just over $20. The beaches are clean and there's a couple of sand bars around so that when the tide goes out there's some nice warm, shallow water left for kids to play in.

If you fancy meeting up when you get here drop me a message, I could do with a friendly face also.

Good luck! And the parachute will open if you pull the string :smile:

If you fancy meeting up when you get here drop me a message, I could do with a friendly face also.

Good luck! And the parachute will open if you pull the string :smile:

Thanks for that, it really made me smile!

Would love to meet up!

L x

What a really kind offer DougM!

We will probably be OK as we have each other, but I know there are some coming over shortly who will be on their own, waiting for their other halves to follow.. so I'm sure they'd be happy of a friendly face, they may have already got in touch with you.. anyway.. just to say I thought that was very kind of you to post that message to everyone who is on their way over. :)

Good Luck Leanne, You will be fine, Me and My partner arrived into Adelaide around 4 months ago, and love grange and henley, grange has a great jetty cafe and is beautiful at sunset, it also has grange hotel which is set just off the beach and a little more expensive, whereas Henley had a whole square of resturants, take aways and pubs etc just near the jetty, the stretch of beach is beautiful. Semapore is gorgeous to and has a high street running down to the jetty so has everything there including a cinema, coffee shops, chinese,sweet shop and clothing store etc I think semophore is slightly cheaper for rental/buying as it is already establish and the homes seem older. All the best for your transition over.

Feel free to message me when you arrive (or if you are ever in need of a babysitter) ;)

Leanne and Simon.

L x

That is. Brilliant way of explaining how you feel , I totally get that and feel exactly the same! Were arriving in may so got a bit longer of that feeling! It's driving me crazy

Kerry x

That is. Brilliant way of explaining how you feel , I totally get that and feel exactly the same! Were arriving in may so got a bit longer of that feeling! It's driving me crazy

Kerry x

Hi Kerry, we have 3 weeks left, you have three months, not sure which is worse in a way (the waiting, or the mad rush?)!! This forum is a god send isn't it? for hearing from people in the same boat. those three months will fly though, I remember when we had three months to go, felt like last week. My emotions seem to swing quite rapidly, e.g. today was a good day as I bought some new gorgeous sunglasses and longed for that good weather, tomorrow may be a crap day as I see a friend for the last time... those goodbyes bring it all home!

Leanne x

Hi Kerry, we have 3 weeks left, you have three months, not sure which is worse in a way (the waiting, or the mad rush?)!! This forum is a god send isn't it? for hearing from people in the same boat. those three months will fly though, I remember when we had three months to go, felt like last week. My emotions seem to swing quite rapidly, e.g. today was a good day as I bought some new gorgeous sunglasses and longed for that good weather, tomorrow may be a crap day as I see a friend for the last time... those goodbyes bring it all home!

Leanne x

3 weeks ahh!! Bet you just can't believe it! We have just booked our short term rental and im constantly looking at it on line thinking I'm going to actually be there I'm going to be pulling up on that drive way!! I know what you mean soooo much to do, must be manic for you now! But not long and your new life will begin! It's just crazy and brilliant why we want to do this??? I have a great life,fantastic family and friends yet we are wanting to do this move so much! Like you said emotions are all over the place can't wait then completely terrified!

Well keep us up to date with your journey! Good luck,enjoy your last few weeks in uk!!

And maybe see you for a wine or two in oz!

Kerry x