Hello from yorkshire, uk

Guest kpjoe

Hi Ive just joined the forum tonight and am looking forward to hearing from you all and getting to know Adelaide. Me and my family are so desperate for a move to Aus but wonder when will be the right time...never I guess ? but maybe a good time will suffice ;-) So Im interest in good communities to live in for families, schools, work, lifestyle, cost of living and even the bad bits ! So that's me ....

I had to reply as your a Yorkshire lass :-)

There is never a right time better to come Sep/Oct or Nov/Dec or even Jan as you don;t want back to back winters.

Maybe you should just decided to do it and make it happen once you have decided your coming it will get a lot easier. There a re pro's and con's of every area it depends on what your interests and likes are beach or hills for example. good luck with your journey

Hi Katie, so many Yorkshire people moving out here! My father in law still lives in Batley and we are planning to visit him towards the middle of the year. We want to persuade him to move out here. Tyke is a regular on here and he's a Yorkshireman too so you will get good advice and straight talk! All the best with your plans. Tamara

Thanks so much everyone ... Batley is only about half an hour away from us (small world) !! Thanks so much for the offers of help and advice etc Im sure itll be much needed and defo appeciated.

Hows the weather over there ? We have snow at the moment and as beautiful as it is I wont miss the chaos it brings

Guest miknlou

Hi kpjoe, were in Pudsey, and looking at the process at the moment.

I think ive missed the boat on SS due to my age, so looking at 457 Employer Sponsorship.

Good luck...and if we get out there maybe we'll meet for a beer.

Oh Hello to just down the road miknlou...Its such an exciting but scary time isnt it? Hopefully we'll both make it one way or another - what area do you fancy moving to ?... Beer sounds good ;-)

Guest Guest75

Aye oop Katie!!!

I think you can tell I am from Yorkshire by my name on here.

I'm a "Loiner" actually ( Leeds lad) - to narrow it down a Farsley, Bramley and Pudsey lad.

We've been here 13 years now.

So you are making the move???

Smart to find this forum (We shorten it to PIA) , bags of support and advice plus lots of older stuff to research.

It's a different lifestyle here , good for bringing up kids, many places to explore and visit, many new experiences to have.

Be tolerant and embrace the place.

It's not the UK but with sunshine.

The cost of living has gone up a lot over this last few years so you need to be earning well now.

So worth it if it suits you though!:smile:

Drop me a line if you need any info, seen and heard most of it now!!

Ignore some of my drivel on here, a few "in" jokes :wacko:

Guest Guest75
Hi kpjoe, were in Pudsey, and looking at the process at the moment.

I think ive missed the boat on SS due to my age, so looking at 457 Employer Sponsorship.

Good luck...and if we get out there maybe we'll meet for a beer.

Lived and worked in Pudsey. Had one of our frozen food shops in Lowtown just opposite the town hall.

Friends with Ann who has Sweet Memories just down the road.

We visit every year - that bus station is mental and an eye sore!!!!

Guest miknlou

Were just off the top of Marsh Tyke,, friends with the Sandfords that came out about 15 months ago.

Looking at everything at the moment, but trying to make the best of juggling the options of leaving the house to rent or sell up. Ill be coming over on a 457, so not sure which way is best, but decided its got to be the better life that is calling. Pudsey's bus station is not the only eye sore over here!!

KPJOE, I hve been looking for the negatives in everything I looked through. so far it extends to the "sun can be quite hot" so as far as I am concerned its a case of New adventures and its time to do something for us. Weve worked damned hard this last ten years and the system here does not reward that. Time for a change me thinks

Guest Guest75
Were just off the top of Marsh Tyke,, friends with the Sandfords that came out about 15 months ago.

Looking at everything at the moment, but trying to make the best of juggling the options of leaving the house to rent or sell up. Ill be coming over on a 457, so not sure which way is best, but decided its got to be the better life that is calling. Pudsey's bus station is not the only eye sore over here!!

KPJOE, I hve been looking for the negatives in everything I looked through. so far it extends to the "sun can be quite hot" so as far as I am concerned its a case of New adventures and its time to do something for us. Weve worked damned hard this last ten years and the system here does not reward that. Time for a change me thinks

We would have nearly been neighbors,we lived off Cemetery Road on Owlcotes lane.

The Sandfords??? Small world!,they live just down the road from us.We have mutual friends (the Palmers) and they stopped in one of our furnished rentals.

Good luck with the options. My personal opinion is to leave things clear cut - sell the house and then now worries back in the UK.

Plenty of negatives here but it depends upon your attitude as well.

Hi everyone, it's so great to see so many Yorkshire folk I had to say something! I'm originally from the Ossett/Dewsbury area and have been in Adelaide a week having moved here from Melbourne. I agree that there's never going to be perfect time to move, just get bite the bullet and get over here!!

We are living in Henley Beach and enjoying the lifestyle and the sunshine so far, hoping to find some useful gems on PIA in the coming weeks!

• 1 month later...

I'm originally from Yorkshire (Skipton) although Tom 'made me' move over the border to Lancashire because that's where he's from :dull:! Only a few miles over though, & currently in Kelbrook (15 miles or so from Burnley).

It's nice to see so many Yorkshire people on here (& Lancashire too :wink:).

We've umm-ed & ahh-ed for the last 8 months - have just last week decided to just go for it. What will be, will be & we're jumping right in with both feet. & throughly looking forward to what's ahead!

Hi,

How funny, my brother, sister-in-law and nephew all live in Kelbrook. My nephew is also a mechanic and a similar age to Tom - Maybe they even know each other, Kelbrook is not that big a place is it!

I'm originally from Yorkshire (Skipton) although Tom 'made me' move over the border to Lancashire because that's where he's from :dull:! Only a few miles over though, & currently in Kelbrook (15 miles or so from Burnley).

It's nice to see so many Yorkshire people on here (& Lancashire too :wink:).

We've umm-ed & ahh-ed for the last 8 months - have just last week decided to just go for it. What will be, will be & we're jumping right in with both feet. & throughly looking forward to what's ahead!

Hi,

How funny, my brother, sister-in-law and nephew all live in Kelbrook. My nephew is also a mechanic and a similar age to Tom - Maybe they even know each other, Kelbrook is not that big a place is it!

Can't think of who you mean, what is your brother/nephew called?

Will probably know of them! Like you say, Kelbrook is far from big!

Guest trall

More Yorkshire folk on the way.... We are coming over in October, possibly sooner as the interest in our house is much better than we had anticipated. Dogs vaccinated, shipping quotes obtained and Sorting out the junk. Looking at short term 4 week rental on forum but can't book yet til we sell house, getting excited and can't wait to start booking stuff. Yay

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Gemma Parker Gibbon

hey,

were like bad pennies us Yorkshire lot...

i have to agree with the list of people saying theres never a right time, you just got to apply and go with the flow. my partner and i came out here 18 months ago while i was 6 month pregs and knew nobody. You just get on with it once the flow starts. good luck.

gemma