Student nurse looking for placement in Adelaide

kyliedonut

Hello guys....first timer here, not sure if I am posting in the correct place or not, but hoping someone can help me.

I am a student nurse in Scotland at the moment and am looking into completing my elective placement in Adelaide. I was out in Aus/NZ for two years and am hoping to move out to South Australia once I graduate.

For my elective placement, I am allowed to choose where to go for 4/5weeks clinical practice. I thought this would be a good opportunity to get my foot in the door, so to speak.

Just wondering if there are any nurses out there who have knowledge of this sort of thing taking place where they work?

Thanks, Kylie

• 1 year later...

Really started to look into this a lot more recently and have contacted a couple of universities.... no luck as of yet. It is the universities I must contact in the first instance it seems (not the hospital), as I need to be registered through APHRA as a student...and it is the education provider that does this. My university also wants it completed through an Australian university so they can establish it is of same standard as I would expect in the UK.

I know there are way more nursing students than there are clinical placements in SA, but I'm still gonna keep trying. I would love a rural placement, and I know these aren't as popular so I'm optimistic!

Again, any advice is most welcome! And any nurses who know of overseas students gaining a placement where they work...would be good to hear!

I work in Professional services in one of the Uni's in the relevant division and I can tell you we have problems getting enough placements for the existing students it is unlikely they will be able to find one for someone who isn't a student, but you never know. The problem is so bad the numbers being accepted on the course are restricted by the clinical placements that can be found and they are looking to send students overseas to complete the placements.

Also, have you looked at the visa situation? You would need a visa to be able to come to Australia, although I'm not sure which one. You might want to be sure you can get a visa before going too much further, if you haven't already.

Guest Claire-n-tel

Hi Kylie :smile:

I think it will probabley not be good news for you tbh. I have experience from both ends of this.

Firstly i am a nurse and worked in the NT, rural placements are in fact quite popular, lots of students are keen to experience this area, it is just getting qualified nurses that is difficult!

We actually have interstate nurses come to the NT for placements as there is such a shortage of placements.

Secondly, my neice did her nurse training in London, in 2011 she asked me about doing her elective placement in australia, we got a list of every uni in oz that ran the nursing course, she emailed every single one of them, she included with her emails a statement from her tutor and results of her exams etc. Some never replied at all but most emailed back to say that they no longer accept OS nurses for placement.

TBH i would concentrate on finding a really good elective in the Uk and then once you qualify getting a year or two experience under your belt and then look at moving here. There is also little to no chance of you getting a graduate year here, there is a lot of publicity atm regarding the number of nurses qualifying that are unable to get on to a graduate program as there are just not enough.

Good luck!

Thanks - wow! Lots of useful info, thank you! What you're niece done re:emails....I'm currently experiencing same replies. Hmmm. Don't know how much longer my optimism will last!

I don't plan on doing a graduate year in Oz, I know I have no chance! I graduate next year, so will get the PR visa ball rolling once I've got some UK experience.

Guest Claire-n-tel

Oh well at least there are not that many uni's to email here! I think back then there were something like 40 uni's in aus and maybe 12 i think that ran a nurse course.

I would suggest you might try charles darwin university. If you like the idea of going rural, they offer a variety - although even working the the royal darwin hospital, you will cover much more rural type work than you would if you were anywhere rural in scotland!! lol its a whole different world! So, yes try CDU and the Royal Darwin - they operate together - also fyi Darwin pays more than most other places in aus for nursing and if you dont mind the heat, love tropical flowers, majestic sunsets and multicultural food - you might actually enjoy it :) mind the crocs tho ;)

Guest Claire-n-tel
I would suggest you might try charles darwin university. If you like the idea of going rural, they offer a variety - although even working the the royal darwin hospital, you will cover much more rural type work than you would if you were anywhere rural in scotland!! lol its a whole different world! So, yes try CDU and the Royal Darwin - they operate together - also fyi Darwin pays more than most other places in aus for nursing and if you dont mind the heat, love tropical flowers, majestic sunsets and multicultural food - you might actually enjoy it :) mind the crocs tho ;)

Hi Nomad!

QLD is actually the highest paid state (about $2500 more for graduate nurse than NT) also WA is higher, if you work remotely, in any state, you may be entitled to remote area payments.

:smile:

Edited by Claire-n-tel
spelling!

Hi Nomad!

QLD is actually the highest paid state (about $2500 more for graduate nurse than NT) also WA is higher, if you work remotely, in any state, you may be entitled to remote area payments.

:smile:

Hi Claire

Thanks for letting me know. Yes I did mention in the post that NT paid higher than 'most' other places. I have obviously been given wrong information regarding QLD when I applied for my graduate position last year/this year. It appeared that WA then NT paid best for new grads (when I was looking) I was offered NSW and QLD... and NSW were paying higher... as it is I am now short notice moving to SA and have to give up my grad pos in NSW and hope I can get one next year in SA. Thanks for the correction - hope it helps Kylie

Thanks Nomad. Charles Darwin Uni was the first to tell me they don't provide clinical placements for overseas students. .altho they did send me all the info if I wanted to enrol!

There are a few universities that won't speak to individuals directly, instead asking for a placement coordinator to contact. So I guess I'll see what my uni can do for me