where to live !!!

Guest k.minsh

Guest k.minsh

hi everyone.we are in the middle of the visa process and are undecided where to live,having never been to australia.I am a nurse and my husand a plasterer we have two children aged six and eight. We are a bit bewildered as to where to start looking for schools ,jobs ,house etc..Any ideas/info would be great...:smile:

Hi, I was the same when I first started looking. Unfortunately there is no way we could spend money on a trip over before making the move as we want to go pretty soon after the visa is granted. I searched his forum and others and made a list of the 'common' places to live, then searched schools in those areas and looked for reviews on each school etc.

when we move over we'll have a holiday rental for 4weeks and in the irst week we'll look at the different areas on my list and then go from there.

im also a nurse so depending on jobs will depend on the area, if I work in the city I wouldn't like to be much farther than hallett cove,reynella however if I got a job at flinders (I'd love that!) I'd really love to live in port noarlunga, seaford rise, seaford meadows, moana etc however feel these areas might be a bit far if I need to commute to the city for work.

Have a browse of some of the different forums on here. Education, Renting and Real Estate, plenty of threads discussing areas, schools and so on to browse away over :)

If you are a nurse are you the main applicant? As in do you have work lined up in one of the hospitals or some such? If so I'd go out from commute times for you to work and then go out from there. Areas with a decent commute time, your budget, schools in those areas and facilities etc.

realestate.com.au is great for oogling property. Just remember when you put in 'Adelaide' it will only cover a small part, the main city area. Other suburbs will have different names and area codes etc. Check google maps to give you an idea of the layout.

Guest k.minsh

like yourself a trip before is out of the question.when are you going?have you already got your holiday rental sorted?Thanks for the pointers.

Hi, I was the same when I first started looking. Unfortunately there is no way we could spend money on a trip over before making the move as we want to go pretty soon after the visa is granted. I searched his forum and others and made a list of the 'common' places to live, then searched schools in those areas and looked for reviews on each school etc.

when we move over we'll have a holiday rental for 4weeks and in the irst week we'll look at the different areas on my list and then go from there.

im also a nurse so depending on jobs will depend on the area, if I work in the city I wouldn't like to be much farther than hallett cove,reynella however if I got a job at flinders (I'd love that!) I'd really love to live in port noarlunga, seaford rise, seaford meadows, moana etc however feel these areas might be a bit far if I need to commute to the city for work.

Guest k.minsh

Thanks for the tips.We are like you in that a trip there is not an option due to fiances ,or lack of them.Have you got a holiday rental already sorted?Have you got your visa?Reassuring to know that there are other people out there that will be moving to Aus without having been .It can,t be worse than here....?

Hi, we're hoping for the end of this year! Don't have a holiday rental sorted but planning on using one of the ones on here or having alook at other recommendations. There was a tread in the renting section recently about the best ways to find short term accommodation.

My main worry just now is nursing jobs! There doesn't seem to be as many as I expected. I've had a look on seek.com.au and the SA health website and although there is jobs just not as many as I thought. I'm sure il be able to find a job I'd just love to have one before the move and preferably a job in the same place, I'm not very keen on bank work in a different country.

All the areas seem to look really nice and not really read bad reviews on any areas. I like to have a look at google maps and look at costal suburbs and then type the name in here for more reviews. Definately like the look on the southern suburbs, seaford rise, seaford meadows, port noarlunga etc however again it depends on where my work will be.

What visa are yous looking at? I have loads of lists on what to do for a nurse etc regarding visas, and skills assesments so if you are a bit stuck with how it all works just give me a PM. x