12 weeks in Adelaide

thesportyone

Hi Everyone,

Well the story so far! We arrived in Adelaide on the 16th November with my OH and 3 children 14,16 & 18 (all boys) not knowing anything or anybody and we love it. Everybody has been so helpful and friendly. We stayed at Adelaide Shores for 3 weeks while we found a permanent place and it was great. With the help from the locals we have managed to get all the medicare, driving licences cars etc sorted.

We have settled in West Beach and have got involved with the local clubs and made some great friends. Kids have started at Henley High and are loving it, even after 1 week.

The only down side is the work, even though the OH is on the skills list (Carpenter/Joiner) there seems to be very little opportunities for him, I am also struggling to get work. Having both submitted numerous applications, nothing has come of it. It seems once you arrive the skills test completed before you arrive counts for nothing even with 20+ yrs expin the trade. You have to complete varies courses to be able to work and this comes at a cost. I am not moaning, just want you all to know it isn't as easy at it first appears. We will not give up nor will we complain as we are loving every minute of our new life in a beautiful City :smile:

If I can be of any help to anyone or if you fancy a meet up near West Beach, please feel free to PM me & I will do my best to help

Thanks

Guest Micknsuzy

Hi glad you are loving it,we have been in Adelaide for 7 months and like you loving every min....but.......like you the work opportunities are not so great,your post has it in a nut shell our exact position ...good luck on the job front and keep enjoying this beautiful city xx

You may already know this, but Nov/Dec and Jan are the hardest times to be looking for work as Adelaide 'shuts down' leading up to and over the Christmas period. I always advise posters to make sure they bring enough money with them to cover them over this period. There will always be exceptions (me being one of them as I started a new job at the end of Nov) but generally it will be tough around this period. Things will start to pick up now, but the overall job market is slow, but the job paper on Saturday was looking pretty healthy so fingers crossed.

Guest sithewindows

Hi Jessica, is the job paper viewable online? We are still in UK so just like to check out. Thanks Simon.

You may already know this, but Nov/Dec and Jan are the hardest times to be looking for work as Adelaide 'shuts down' leading up to and over the Christmas period. I always advise posters to make sure they bring enough money with them to cover them over this period. There will always be exceptions (me being one of them as I started a new job at the end of Nov) but generally it will be tough around this period. Things will start to pick up now, but the overall job market is slow, but the job paper on Saturday was looking pretty healthy so fingers crossed.

Hi Jessica, is the job paper viewable online? We are still in UK so just like to check out. Thanks Simon.

Hi Simon

Some of the job adverts go onto the newspapers website http://www.careerone.com.au and as you will see from the example below it will state at the bottom of the advert if it has appeared in the newspaper.

http://jobview.careerone.com.au/TAXI-DRIVER-Job-Happy-Valley-SA-118967988.aspx

There are also job adverts on the site that have not appeared in the newspaper. I personally find the site hard work compared to seek.com.au, but it is worth checking out. When you arrive I would always recommend buying the newspaper on a Saturday (job day in Adelaide). A contact at The Advertiser told me that Adelaide is the only capital city in Australia that still has a separate jobs supplement pullout as it is a more traditional job market. Also as the job market is getting more and more competitive, employers are flooded with applications (a lot of them irrelevant) when they advertise on seek, so they are using the newspaper as a method of attracting a more targeted job seeker.

Guest sithewindows

Hi Jessica

Thanks for your reply. Hopefully we will get our visa and be able to take your advise. I will have a look online.[

Many thanks

Simon QUOTE=Jessica Berry;253424]Hi Simon

Some of the job adverts go onto the newspapers website www.careerone.com.au and as you will see from the example below it will state at the bottom of the advert if it has appeared in the newspaper.

http://jobview.careerone.com.au/TAXI-DRIVER-Job-Happy-Valley-SA-118967988.aspx

There are also job adverts on the site that have not appeared in the newspaper. I personally find the site hard work compared to seek.com.au, but it is worth checking out. When you arrive I would always recommend buying the newspaper on a Saturday (job day in Adelaide). A contact at The Advertiser told me that Adelaide is the only capital city in Australia that still has a separate jobs supplement pullout as it is a more traditional job market. Also as the job market is getting more and more competitive, employers are flooded with applications (a lot of them irrelevant) when they advertise on seek, so they are using the newspaper as a method of attracting a more targeted job seeker.