To stay or to go! that is the question

Guest MrsG

Hi there,

New on here but have been having a look for a while now.

We're seriously thinking about selling up & moving our family out to the Adelaide area. The 'We' consists of myself, hubby & 2 smal children (one 3 and one 7 months).

As I'm sure everyone else can appriciate it's not something you can do on a whim & we have loads of questions, mainly about visas, finances & living costs, moving costs etc. Childcare is also an issue I'm trying o investigate as currently my mother in law looks after my two while we're at work.

Let's face it, as much as I'd love to up sticks there's no point in doing it if we're going to be completely skint! lol

My job is on the SNOL list (I work in IT but not massively technical!) & I think i'd be OK for work but I think my husband would be considered as unskilled. He works in warehousing HI LOPs & I havent managed to find many jobs for this sort of work.

Does anyone have any advice on things like where there are good sources of info on things like childcare costs, what the rate of tax is, or just general pearls of wisdom to get us a clearer view of what we potentially could look forward to!

Thanks!

Clare

Guest magicsprout

i would advise to do a reccie before making any big decision, you can then have a good look around, investigate a few firms and see how things cost for yourself. visas are a long drawn out expensive process and you do need to be sure

Guest Guest75

It is a big move to say the least, probably the biggest change you will ever effect upon your family.

I can only give vary general advice .

Come with as much money as possible.

I've seen a family of 6 turn up with 5000GBP and be happy here but in general that does not happen.

The first 3 months will see you bleed money for cars,rentals,deposits but don't forget that this is replacing what you had in the UK.

Cost of living is around the same as the UK in general now, utility prices are going up like crazy with the price of electric set to double in the next few years.

It's a fairly stable economy though - this country has an eye on the mistakes that happen in the northern hemisphere and does learn from it.

Sometimes it is "tough love" here but I for one feel proud to be part of a nation that is still proud,will speak it's mind and is not afraid to act - although I see this attitude diminishing slowly now as the non pc brigade gain strength.

At the moment we are in a financial lull, work is harder to come by, often you will have to take a lesser position and work your way up again.

It is the "same but different" here, very hard to explain. Almost every new arrival I have spoken to has said Adelaide is different to what they expected in some or many ways - be prepared !!!

Have a sense of humour, be adaptable,embrace rather than try to change here - it is "their" country!!

Plus points abound ,from the small moments to some pretty Wow! ones

It's quieter here, good base to bring up family, clean beaches on your doorstep, the people in general are laid back - I like the Aussies.

There is talk of Adelaide being behind the times - yep! But for all the right reasons to me personally. Quieter, big country town feel, less crime, people still have old fasioned values.

It really is your choice, I'd never paint a rosy picture but it works for a lot of people with a lot of effort, LOTS of research and a bit of luck!!:smile::smile:

Research, research, research. And if you have never been here before a Recce is advisable. Some don't and it works but more foyer then not people who come without seeing the place find out they don't like this or that or it's not what they thought. I know money is an issue but if it goes wrong because of something you could have found out on a Recce then going back is a lot more costly.

MrsG

We're not moving to Adelaide for a few weeks but I've been on this forum for a few months and I think Tyke is a genuine, honest kind of guy so I'd listen to what he says.

Also, research is vital. We did a trip to Melbourne in 2011 and it is surprising how much things seem the same but different - as others have said. However, no matter how much you think you've prepared there's going to be a bit of a blind leap of faith. I don't think you can expect to just step in an and pick up where you've left off in the UK. It might be a bit of a step back and rebuild your career once you start to get local experience. Regarding the reccie, it's a balance between the cost of the trip against having extra cash when you do move. Most people would recommend a reccie cos you could just hate things. But you have to be a bit wise and try to separate the good, holiday feeling from the reality of life once you have to commute to work, deal with schools, and do all the run of the mill day-to-day stuff.

First things first - have you checked the visa options? It was an eye opener for me that we had to go through the points system, get IELTS tests, skills assessed etc. It might be best to speak to a migration agent first - I'm sure many of them to a free 1st consultation. Also, think long and hard about the impact of losing your parents as carers for the kids. We're lucky in a way cos her parents are 300 miles away and my Mum wasn't able to watch the kids so we don't have that link holding us back. I've watched lots of the TV programmes and one of the biggest issues is how close, childcare and daily contact, people are to their parents.

Sounds a wee bit gloomy but right now the wind is battering the back of the building (in Glasgow) for the second week running, it 's rained for most of the day and we simply cannot wait for that flight on the 28th.

Good luck.

If you have any specific questions PM me and I'll try to help if I can.

Tony

Guest Guest75
Hi Tyke.

I'm fine, thanks. Had a busy couple of years so didn't get on here much. Still lurk a bit, then log on if I have something relevant to say.

Still find it interesting to see what people are thinking.

Good to hear,if if ya do lurk........:tongue::tongue:

Guest Guest75
MrsG

We're not moving to Adelaide for a few weeks but I've been on this forum for a few months and I think Tyke is a genuine, honest kind of guy so I'd listen to what he says.

Tony

Ya fiver is in the post.........:biggrin::biggrin::cute:

My job is on the SNOL list (I work in IT but not massively technical!) & I think i'd be OK for work but I think my husband would be considered as unskilled. He works in warehousing HI LOPs & I havent managed to find many jobs for this sort of work.

Depends what you mean by "work in IT". Don't want to be the voice of doom and gloom but it depends exactly what your job is as per the list and even if you do that job in the UK it doesn't necessarily mean you'll get the same kind of work here.

Thanks for the replies everyone. To be honest I dont think we will be able to do a reccie. Sidestep, My current job title was Systems Administration but was changed to IT Operations Analyst. I've looked on the SNOL list and theres definately one on there which matches the description of what I do. I've worked for the same company for 7 years and I havent got any qualifications in IT but that's a whole other post!

Thanks for the replies everyone. To be honest I dont think we will be able to do a reccie. Sidestep, My current job title was Systems Administration but was changed to IT Operations Analyst. I've looked on the SNOL list and theres definately one on there which matches the description of what I do. I've worked for the same company for 7 years and I havent got any qualifications in IT but that's a whole other post!

Well the first thing to do is get your skills assessed by the relevant Australian body and see where you stand then. If the man form Del Monte say "yes" then you're halfway there.

Guest Guest75
Hope that fiver's sterling and not them Aussie $$s

:biglaugh:

Another lesson to learn when here......................... don't convert back to the old money......... That'll be 3.60 GBP I owe you then????:tongue::tongue:

Hi Clare

As others have mentioned about reccie and other preparations, I will stick my neck out to give you my assesment based on what you have written.

If I were you, I would not consider going at this stage, based on (1) child care (2) your and your husband qualifications.

1. Child Care. Me and my wife work in childcare at the moment. I was a journalist with 20 years experience and she was a secondary school teaching assistant back in the UK before we moved. Child care is expensive here, especially if you have to pay full time. Depending on the visa (if you get a permanent one where you could get some benefit, the child care cost should be high in the agenda. These will be eased when the children are older and go to school.

2. Job qualifications. Adelaide is not that big town, so consequently, jobs are limited, and here you will be competing againts migrant from other countries as well. Without qualifications, I would think will be more difficult to convince the employer to pick you, not other people. I had a friend in Sydney who came and needed to "force" the employer to test her for her skill. Only after doing that, they employed her. But stories about no response from hundred of application being sent out are common.

I gather you and your husband are still young.. So probably still enough time to equip yourself with qualifications.. Eventhough, that is also not a guarantee but hopefully will make life a little bit easier..

People often say that they were willing to take any job. I was in the same boat before I came, even tough I have more qualifications. I was once a senior journalist with a salary nearly 100 k $. But when I applied to be a trolley pusher for Woolies, they did not response..

Kind regards

Guest MandiMR2

Fantastic answer Tyke, I think you hit the nail on the head & answered a few questions for many others too, myself included!

Its great to see people like you who have been, there done that & are still interested in this forum & helping others, its much appreciated.

Thanku Mandi

Guest Guest75
Fantastic answer Tyke, I think you hit the nail on the head & answered a few questions for many others too, myself included!

Its great to see people like you who have been, there done that & are still interested in this forum & helping others, its much appreciated.

Thanku Mandi

Thank you very much Mandy :cute:

Your compliment means a lot to me.

To be honest I can't seem to shake it off and could not stop if I tried now:goofy:

I spent a while yesterday discussing this forum and the current issues when I really did not to.

Even the local paper calls me for any good stories abut folk moving over here - I am doomed!

One wish is that more of the older posters would just pop back in and report what they are up to now:smile:

Sometimes it is "tough love" here but I for one feel proud to be part of a nation that is still proud,will speak it's mind and is not afraid to act - although I see this attitude diminishing slowly now as the non pc brigade gain strength.

I suspect you're mixing up your brigades - the days of the non-PC brigade are unfortunately numbered!

Jim

Tyke,

Only read your reply in the last few minutes.

It is the best descriptor of current life in Adelaide and Australia that I have had the priviledge to read. Fair play. Agree 100%. Here 4 years with the family, came from Ireland and if you work hard and get the breaks, you can do ok. Great place to bring up the kids.

It is a big move to say the least, probably the biggest change you will ever effect upon your family.

I can only give vary general advice .

Come with as much money as possible.

I've seen a family of 6 turn up with 5000GBP and be happy here but in general that does not happen.

The first 3 months will see you bleed money for cars,rentals,deposits but don't forget that this is replacing what you had in the UK.

Cost of living is around the same as the UK in general now, utility prices are going up like crazy with the price of electric set to double in the next few years.

It's a fairly stable economy though - this country has an eye on the mistakes that happen in the northern hemisphere and does learn from it.

At the moment we are in a financial lull, work is harder to come by, often you will have to take a lesser position and work your way up again.

It is the "same but different" here, very hard to explain. Almost every new arrival I have spoken to has said Adelaide is different to what they expected in some or many ways - be prepared !!!

Have a sense of humour, be adaptable,embrace rather than try to change here - it is "their" country!!

Plus points abound ,from the small moments to some pretty Wow! ones

It's quieter here, good base to bring up family, clean beaches on your doorstep, the people in general are laid back - I like the Aussies.

There is talk of Adelaide being behind the times - yep! But for all the right reasons to me personally. Quieter, big country town feel, less crime, people still have old fasioned values.

It really is your choice, I'd never paint a rosy picture but it works for a lot of people with a lot of effort, LOTS of research and a bit of luck!!:smile::smile:

2. Job qualifications. Adelaide is not that big town, so consequently, jobs are limited, and here you will be competing againts migrant from other countries as well. Without qualifications, I would think will be more difficult to convince the employer to pick you, not other people. I had a friend in Sydney who came and needed to "force" the employer to test her for her skill. Only after doing that, they employed her. But stories about no response from hundred of application being sent out are common.

I gather you and your husband are still young.. So probably still enough time to equip yourself with qualifications.. Eventhough, that is also not a guarantee but hopefully will make life a little bit easier..

People often say that they were willing to take any job. I was in the same boat before I came, even tough I have more qualifications. I was once a senior journalist with a salary nearly 100 k $. But when I applied to be a trolley pusher for Woolies, they did not response..

In the case of IT work, if you have certifications eg MCP, VCP they are global. Again it depends in what field you are working in. Australians like Australian qualifications funny that ha ha! Say for example if you want to work as a Trainer and Assessor delivering accredited training they will ask for a Certificate IV TAE (Training and Assessment), that is the industry standard. I personally do not have any of my UK qualifications on my resume only my Australian ones, these are the qualifications that get me work.