Nurse moving to Adelaide- advice please

Guest The Moffats

Guest The Moffats

Hello everyone! It is a difficult decision to make, to move to the other side of the world and one which has taken us a long time to reach. I am a Nurse (RGN) here in Edinburgh and have lots of experience in Transplant Theatre, Recovery, anesthetics and I am currently a community nurse. My husband is a Police Officer but doesn't get any points for the VISA so I'll be the main applicant.

We are a bit stuck on what is the best route to get us started. We are going to Downunder live next week in Glasgow but aren't sure if the best route is to use a migration agent or to do the work ourselves. From out research so far it seems the first thing I should be doing is getting state sponsorship and joining the Nursing and Midwifery council in Oz so that I am eligible for employment.

I would love to hear from any Nurses who have gotten PR in Oz and to find out what the best route to take is. We have sold the house here in Edinburgh and have the money in the bank ready to get going so any assistance would be much appreciated.

My husband and I are both nurses .we chose to do the application ourselves,it wasnt difficult .In my opinion its a waste of your money to get an agent. Its a case of filling in an application nothing difficult . Its a rip off. Definately get PR in the UK . We didnt I was sponsored on a 457 Visa then PR then citizenship.

Its another waste of money to get sponsored then PR as its double money.

Certainly dont waste your money .......

Apply for PR and APRHA forms for registration in Australia.

Hope this helps.

Elaine from Dundee :-)

Hi, I'm also a nurse and doing the application by myself.

We (husband and 2 kids) are applying for either the 189/190 PR visa, you need at least 60points for each of these visa, will get an extra 5points for state sponsership if you go with the 190. You can calculate your points here http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/index/visas/subclass-190/

Even though your British You will need to sit an academic IELTS before your skills assesment and sore a 7 or above in each category.

You then get your skills assessed by AUstralian nursing and midwifery council http://www.anmac.org.au/

Once you pass your skills assesment you can place an expression of interest for your visa and also state sponsership if that's the way your wishing to go.

you'll receive an invite to apply and once applied you'll be given a case officer who will request medicals and police checks and any other documents.

AHPRA is who you apply to for nursing registration and as far as I'm aware you can apply for this at any stage during the application process.

Im also just at the very beginning so some of my info may be off but that's the plan I'm following :) you will get a lot of info on his site and pomsinoz.

Many agents will give you a free one off consultation, I spoke with go Matilda and Ian harrop and got a lot of helpful advice.

Kelly.

Guest MandiMR2

Hey there, I've not long since finished my application & received my 190 permanent visa in November. The route Kelly is planning to pursue is exactly what I did. The first thing to do is the IELTS as you can't apply any further with either your visa or the AHPRA registration until you have passed & achieved at least 7. State sponsorship may or may not be required depending if you need to gain the extra points, so not a waste of money if needed.

There are fors & againsts regarding agents, some people may feel confident to complete the process alone & I envy those who take the risk, however if you can afford it, I would definately recommend using one as mine was superb every step of the way, very supportive & explained each course of action involved & most importantly they verify each & every piece of info prior to been sent or completed on your behalf (to avoid it being incorrect).

Although the route sounds pretty straightforward, the tasks you have to do along the way can be quite challenging & the requirements are very rigorous & both the Dept. of immigration & the ANMAC are very strict about correct & precise criteria being met & should one piece of information be missing or not exactly right, the application is put on hold until they are suffice with it.

Hope this helps, if you require any further help please ask, that's what we're all here for...all aiming for the same goal!

Best of luck, Mandi

Guest The Moffats

Thanks to all of you for the info, The bit that sticks in my throat is that we still need to complete the IELTS test, English is our first language which we shared with the world!:smile: When are you planning to make the move Mandi now that you have your PR?

Guest rooney74

Hi To The Moffets,

I am also an Anaesthetic & Recovery Nurse and we are very nearly ready to go, fly out to Adelaide in April :)

I used a company called Healthcare Elite and they have been brilliant. I had my interview in Manchester last May.

We have done everything ourselves, the company just helps you get a job.

Firstly i would advise you apply for your Austrailian Nursing Registration APHRA as this had took ages and held us up.Make sure you get everything on the check list required and that it is certified by a notary or JP or they will not accept.

I am going on a 457 visa and the company help you with this, my hubby is coming on my visa.

Hope this helps

Kirsten

Guest rooney74

Hiya,

Its just what I was offered by my sponsor.

No I didnt do the IELTS test as I was taught in English but I had to get a letter from my senior school to proove this.

Kirsten

Someone correct me if I'm wrong :)

It's my understanding you don't need ielts when applying to ahpra for registration you just need to prove you we're taught in English.

you just need ielts if applying for a PR visa as you need to have a skills assesment which requires the ielts exam.

The 457 does not require a skills assesment just a job sponser so no ielts.

I think that's right.

kelly.

If you studied in UK then you don't need IELTS for ahpra.

for skills assessment you need IELTS. The following reply I received from anmc

This is quite a common question, I would recommend going on the AHPRA website and having a look for your name on the public register, although AHPRA have sent you a letter it might not necessarily mean you are registered with them, sometimes the letter is stating that you are eligible to become registered with them.

If your name is not on the public register you will need to complete our full assessment which requires IELTS.

If you do find your name on the register then you will only need to complete our modified assessment which does not require IELTS.

UOTE=Kel87;253645]Someone correct me if I'm wrong :)

It's my understanding you don't need ielts when applying to ahpra for registration you just need to prove you we're taught in English.

you just need ielts if applying for a PR visa as you need to have a skills assesment which requires the ielts exam.

The 457 does not require a skills assesment just a job sponser so no ielts.

I think that's right.

kelly.

Guest MandiMR2

Hi everyone,

Yes both Kelly's are right, I only submitted my IELTS with my APHRA application as it was the latest certificate I'd received.

OMG Yes it is very frustrating that we have to do the IELTS, considering we are English!! were taught English, have nursing degrees etc. lol however I kind of appreciate their rules, as unlike here they don't just allow anyone into the country!!

I'm hoping to move there end of our summer aug/sept & I CANNOT WAIT!!! no fixed date yet.

Congrats to Kirsten & best of luck to you. Can I ask which shipping company you used?

Mandi

Guest rooney74

Hi MANDI,

We are using Movers international from Preston, Lancashire. I got about 6 quotes and they were the best. we are only having half of container as there is only 2 of us.

Kirsten

Guest MandiMR2

Thanku Kirsten, I'm not sure if we'll get all ours in half a container, even though there's only 2 of us! as we're taking all our possessions, plus 1 car!!! lol bet you're so excited?!!!

Mandi

Guest thesalix

Pop

Can I confirm ielts is needed for the PR visa - as ielts is needed for the skills assessment. Do you know whether we need academic or general? - I'm all confused

I don't need it for AHPRA as UK

Thanks

Salix

Hi Salix

My conclusion is that for PR (190) we need ANMC skills assessment. Salix you can get a letter from your school which says you taught and assessed in English. Then you apply for AHPRA. Once you get your eligibility letter then you need to go to Australia to get the full registration. So that your name will come on the full register.Then you can apply for modified skills assessment with ANMC.

THIS IS THE SHORT CUT METHOD WHICH YOU CAN AVOID IELTS.

If I am wrong then my seniors can correct it.

pop

Guest MandiMR2
Pop

Can I confirm ielts is needed for the PR visa - as ielts is needed for the skills assessment. Do you know whether we need academic or general? - I'm all confused

I don't need it for AHPRA as UK

Thanks

Salix

Hi Salix,

It was & still is my understanding that if you initially registered here as a nurse, the full skills assessment by the ANMAC is required, if you hold current registration in Australia or NZ then you can go for the modified assessment.

So the full skills assessment requires you to do the IELTS academic level with 7's and above in each category.

You can then use your points awarded from the IELTS if needed for your visa application if you haven't got enough.

You can also use it for registering with AHPRA as evidence of English instead of your secondary education evidence.

Hope this helps,

Mandi

Guest rooney74

Hi Mandy,

We are just taking essentials, kitchen stuff, no fridgefreezer or washer as our accomodation has it already in. Bedroom furniture & lounge/dining room furniture & 2 mountains bikes and about 8 boxes included for pictures etc.

Thanx for the congrats, its been a frustrating process.

Kirsten x

Have you looked into taking your car, the shipping company came to assess our furniture last night and told us the process of taking a car over. its very expensive and pay tax on what it is worth in Oz not u.k. It works out expensive as cars over there are very high in price. x

Edited by rooney74

Guest MandiMR2

Hi Kirsten,

You sound very organised! I bet you're well excited!!!

Have you seen the thread from garyupnorth about another nothern meet up? I'm hoping to go, would be great if you did too!

About the cars, I'm looking into it, there's a guy, who comes highly recommended on PIO forum who asks for the details of your car, then advises whether it would be worth the hassles & expense of shipping it over or whether to would be easier & cost less to sell here & buy one once over there, so I'll see what he suggests, then compare it to my own findings, combined with what some friends of ours who already live there say, then decide what to do!!! lol

Mandi

Hi I came over on a 457 visa, and then applied for an employee nominated PR visa, was all really quick! 457 only took a few months and then once I applied for the employee nominated that only took about 3 months too. I did the IELTS but later found I had not have needed to do it for the 457, not sure the situation now. AHPRA had just changed there criteria for overseas nurses to become registered as a div 1, I did a Diploma in adult nursing and have done further study since which allowed me to be registered but at one point was concerned would be registered as a div 2 (EN)! I would contact AHPRA if I was doing it again, we also did not use an agent and did not find the process difficult, not sure if a PR visa would have been different though!? from what i understand PR takes a lot longer!? I know theatre and recovery is highly sought after, so would imagine you could get sponsorship if you wanted to. good luck with your decisions!

• 2 months later...
Guest kezkev199
Hi To The Moffets,

I am also an Anaesthetic & Recovery Nurse and we are very nearly ready to go, fly out to Adelaide in April :)

I used a company called Healthcare Elite and they have been brilliant. I had my interview in Manchester last May.

We have done everything ourselves, the company just helps you get a job.

Firstly i would advise you apply for your Austrailian Nursing Registration APHRA as this had took ages and held us up.Make sure you get everything on the hi check list required and that it is certified by a notary or JP or they will not acceptr

I am going on a 457 visa and the company helyou with this, my hubby is coming on my visa.

Hope this helps

Kirsten

Hi kirsten

I have just received a job with health care elite at burnside.where is you job and when are you moving,if you don't mind me asking.I am hoping to move out June/july it would be nice to keep in touch to discuss moving tips

Thanks

Kerry

Edited by kezkev199
wrong name!