Hello everyone, and about time!!

beebul

I’ve sourced a huge amount of invaluable help from this forum so thought it’s about time I introduced myself!

I’m Penny, 38, and my other half is David, 40 and we don’t have any children (yet). We currently live in Manchester, UK, and we fly out to Adelaide on 2nd April. Can’t believe it’s actually happening, the days are just flying by now. So much to think about and do in preparation - I find myself drifting off to sleep every night with images of me cleaning our vacuum pipes and scrubbing shoes with Milton!!

With the exception of the visa application, everything else we’ve done throughout this process would have been so much more difficult without the folk on PIA. Shipping, flights, transit hotel, car hire, rental accommodation, suburbs – you’ve helped with the lot! :notworthy:

We’ve never been to Australia and have no family or friends there – we’ve talked about wanting to emigrate for about 4 years and finally did something about it when we realised David was about to hit 40. It was the kick up the @$$ we needed and we began the process Mid Jan 2012 and had the PR visa sticker in our passports by the end of June 2012. Then we sold our house within 3 weeks! It was all a bit of a blur but we feel so lucky that everything went through so quickly and smoothly. We thought it was a sign that we’re doing the right thing......

Things we enjoy:

Cycling

Walking

Movies (can’t WAIT to go to the Opel Moonlight Cinema)

Music

A tipple (or ten)

Restaurants

Pubs

Dinner Parties / Board Games

Beach/Sea

Can’t wait to start our new life and to meet up with some of the terrific people on POI. We begin our journey in Largs Bay from 7th April for 1 month short term rental, during this time we’ll be checking out the suburbs deciding where to move next.

If anyone fancies meeting up, please get in touch :jiggy:

Well now that my introductory post is done, I look forward to contributing to others and chucking out plenty of questions!

Penny & David

Guest deardos

Hi Penny,

I too am from Manchester. I go on the 12 of Feb ... Scary, unfortunatly my wife is joining me at the end of April with my twin children ... only 18months old ... so you can have some practice at child care if you want ???????

We are into the same intrests but the kids limit us these days. We would love to meet up I am 33 and my wife is 37.

Guest milne family

We are also making the move this year, you've made fast progress, its taken us years to get to this stage with all the ups and downs of the process. Good luck with everthing and hope it all goes well for you.

Hi Penny,

I too am from Manchester. I go on the 12 of Feb ... Scary, unfortunatly my wife is joining me at the end of April with my twin children ... only 18months old ... so you can have some practice at child care if you want ???????

We are into the same intrests but the kids limit us these days. We would love to meet up I am 33 and my wife is 37.

My best friend had twin girls when we were 18, I've been like a second mum to them and will miss her, and them, terribly when we move. Therefore I'd be more than happy to assist with some twinny baby sitting!!!

Hi Penny,

Good luck with your move - my name is Emma and my husband and I were issued with our PR visas nearly a year ago - we are similar in age and have no kids as yet either (here's hoping!!). We live in Newcastle (husband is a Geordie and i'm Irish/Scottish - so love a few drinks!!). We popped over to Adelaide in August last year for a week (yes, a week!! Was purely to activate our visas and have a quick recky due to work commitments - boooooo!).

My other half also works in IT (Dev Programmer) and funnily enough, I am currently temping as a University administrator! Hehe, we have some much in common! We're liking the idea of Semaphore for when we arrive - hopefully by this time next year! We've had to spend more than anticipated on doing up our house to rent out, so haven't been able to save for the actual move until now.

Wishing you all the best and hope to catch up next year X

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Penny,

Good luck with your move - my name is Emma and my husband and I were issued with our PR visas nearly a year ago - we are similar in age and have no kids as yet either (here's hoping!!). We live in Newcastle (husband is a Geordie and i'm Irish/Scottish - so love a few drinks!!). We popped over to Adelaide in August last year for a week (yes, a week!! Was purely to activate our visas and have a quick recky due to work commitments - boooooo!).

My other half also works in IT (Dev Programmer) and funnily enough, I am currently temping as a University administrator! Hehe, we have some much in common! We're liking the idea of Semaphore for when we arrive - hopefully by this time next year! We've had to spend more than anticipated on doing up our house to rent out, so haven't been able to save for the actual move until now.

Wishing you all the best and hope to catch up next year X

Hello Emma,

What a lovely reply. We'd love to catch up with you when you finally arrive (I've added you to my contacts). It does sound like we have lots in common - so much so we'll be in competition for jobs!!! Semaphore is a 10 minute walk from where we'll be staying for the first month so I'll be sure to check it out for you, let you know if there's any good drinking establishments, perhaps an Irish Bar!

Hope everything goes smoothly when you do come over, speak again soon x

Edited by beebul
remove signature

Guest LittleMissWildChild

Hi Penny,

We've just arrived and have more or less the same interests as you. I'm Aussie but have lived in London for so long that I don't really have Aussie friends anymore and feel more English than Australian, and hubby is from London. We're both 35 and have a 9 month old. Get in touch when you arrive :) x

Hi Penny,

We've just arrived and have more or less the same interests as you. I'm Aussie but have lived in London for so long that I don't really have Aussie friends anymore and feel more English than Australian, and hubby is from London. We're both 35 and have a 9 month old. Get in touch when you arrive :) x

Little Miss Wild Child!

Only two days in - wow - I'll look out for future posts to see how you're getting on and we'll be certain to get in touch when we arrive :-)

Hey and how exciting... not long to go now at all! Sounds like we have lots of the same interests. I'm 28, my partner is 34 and we live in Glenelg with our two kitties. Love to catch up for a drink sometime, send me a message when you're over x

Hell yeah it's exciting, we're on proper countdown now, only TWENTY DAYS left at work then we're officially unemployed!! Bring on the beach :-)

We'll definitely be in touch when we arrive - and if you ever need a sitter for your two kitties, let us know. Leaving our cat, who we've had for 12 years, is absolutely heartbreaking :-( She's off to live with parents though, which makes it a little easier......

hi penny sorry to bother you im a newbie and dont know how to post im searching for someone plz can you advise?

julie from oldham xx

Hi Julie, I'm new to posting too (though I've been reading lots and lots of others posts over the last 6 months!). How can I help?

When you say you're searching for someone, do you mean you're wanting to meet people over in Adelaide, that have come from your neck of the woods in the UK? We're currently in Mossley, Ashton Under Lyne, so only a stones through from Oldham! But we don't arrive until 4th April. Are you in Adelaide already?

no im looking for a family member in oz x

Hi Julie, I don't think I can help you much as we are still in the UK... I'm sure you can start your own thread asking for information about your family member? Have you tried using Facebook or Friends Reunited to track them down? Good luck x

Hi Penny and the other PIA members who have posted

It is a small world - we are from oldham and are into our 4th week of our new life. It has been a whirlwind but so far my hubby has just secured a job and 8 year old daughter is back in school.

We have similar interests but as can be seen plus 2 lively daughters. However Oldham is nbot far from Ashton and if you fancy a tour of the Southern suburbs we would love to show you around. PM me when you are over.

Karen and Jon.

Hi Penny and the other PIA members who have posted

It is a small world - we are from oldham and are into our 4th week of our new life. It has been a whirlwind but so far my hubby has just secured a job and 8 year old daughter is back in school.

We have similar interests but as can be seen plus 2 lively daughters. However Oldham is nbot far from Ashton and if you fancy a tour of the Southern suburbs we would love to show you around. PM me when you are over.

Karen and Jon.

Hi Karen & Jon

What a kind offer - we would very much appreciate a tour of the Southern Suburbs. We'll be in Largs Bay for the first month but during this time we'll be cramming in as much suburb investigation as possible, whilst job hunting! Whereabouts are you staying in the Southern region?