Hi!

Guest kate11

Hi everyone,

Im Kate and my husband is Damien. Im going to qualify as a nurse next year and my hubby is an accountant As soon as I get a bit of experience under my belt we will be heading over and hope to make some friends and get a bit of help on this journey.

We are comparing different areas of Oz, Adelaide sounds amazing, we are also looking at Melbourne and Perth. What are your opinions ? What makes Adelaide great and is there a spider waiting to get me in every corner? :wink:

Wishing everyone on their journey luck and those who are there, well done!

Kate :)

Hi Kate,

Great to hear you're thinking of heading down under, we love it so far. My husband and me have lived in Adelaide for about a month and lived in Melbourne for a year prior to that. Both cities are very different in my opinion and I would never have left Melbourne but situations dictated and here we are! We have a completely different lifestyle in Adelaide than we had in Melbourne, it's not that it's any better or any worse, it's just totally different. Melbourne had heaps of cools bars and restaurants and lots going on with a real buzz about it. We've found Adelaide is much quieter in comparison and have had to either drive or try and catch the bus if we want to go out, then get a cab home.

I think it depends what time of lifestyle you would like as to which city you might like to settle in. The beaches here are beautiful, the sea is blue and clean and we have a puppy who we could've never had with our lifestyles in London or Melbourne.

I think tapping into these forums is a good idea to weigh up all your options - good luck!!!

I can't really compare cities as we've only lived in Adelaide but the good things for me are:

Take your pick of beaches, compact friendly city center, generally low traffic volumes, low density of people even in the central suburbs, easy access to some lovely countryside, hits the spot on being family friendly and generally relaxed. I'm from Devon and just couldn't stick a big city like Melbourne myself.

Barely any spiders so far - couple of red backs lurking in the garden furniture but that's it. Nothing of face sized proportions......yet. Seen lots of lovely wildlife though - right whales at Victor Harbor, the odd dolphin, a stingray right close to the shore at the weekend, koalas of course. Kangaroos seem a bit more elusive in the Adelaide region but probably looking in the wrong spots. Weather has been stunning over the summer (though the odd day which is too hot to do much).

Not much has disappointed me about Adelaide - though I find the suburbs generally a bit bland, but I'm guessing that's just due to the modern city thing. It's sprawled too, and I do miss living in a small town and being able to commute to the nearby city. Probably can work that out in Adelaide, just haven't found that place we really want to settle in, yet.