Have you thought about volunteering?

Guest zippie

Guest zippie

Hi everyone,

I've seen a few posts recently where people are finding it hard to get work in Adelaide & thought it might be helpful if I shared our experience.

We've been here six months & we love it!!!! I was lucky enough to get a good job after about 4 weeks looking but my husband struggled. He has 20+ years finance & customer service experience but struggled to get any interviews.

Eventually after talking to several agents we narrowed down the problem to not having any Australian experience. So, he started volunteering at the Salvation Army in Marion for two days a week. One day on the community services desk & one day in the thrift shop. This not only gave him experience but also meant he had a focus & was much more positive. After he added the volunteer work to his CV he started getting interviews straight away & has since secured a job.

So, if you have time on your hands whilst looking for work why not think about volunteering for a charity, it will help others & may well help you get work sooner too!

Good Luck

Debbie

Hi Debbie

Good advice - Very similar thing happened to me, I was sending my CV out to employers for jobs less than I would usually do - but needed work, I was frustrated that I wasnt even getting to the interview stages.

So, I too decided to do some volunteering - I just worked a few hours per week in the hospital canteen and hey presto having a Australian reference, I got the first job I applied for after volunteering.

It does go along way and would totally recommend it.

Sarahx

Guest guest8040

Love this post! I've been doing volunteering virtually from the UK too (as I work for a charity here, my paid role is to recruit volunteers!) and I'll be doing some when I arrive. There is a network of Volunteer Resource Centres across SA who will give you advice on the volunteering opportunities that are out there

Guest Jon&Linds
Anyone who wants to volunteer, get in touch, my football club always need people!

Hi adelaidenow. I am hopefully out there in November and looking to get involved with a football team. I am a sports therapist with various other quals. Is it kids football? I will get in touch nearer the time to see if you are still looking for people. Jonathan.

Hi adelaidenow. I am hopefully out there in November and looking to get involved with a football team. I am a sports therapist with various other quals. Is it kids football? I will get in touch nearer the time to see if you are still looking for people. Jonathan.

Always looking for help :-)

Kids and adults.

Guest Guest75

Look for volunteering to help/work with/mentor Autistic or Asbergers if any chance,so rewarding.

I've worked with a few and close friends have an Autistic son with Asbergers. Great lad, really connected with him.

SA has always had a great record of people volunteering and the OP is right.

Volunteering is fun, rewarding and can lead to paid employment through networking or just having Australian referees on your resume.

Please don't look at it as a short term thing though. Vollies are needed in so many areas from reading to kids, helping out at the school/sports canteens, food runs, suicide helplines, animal welfare, the zoo, hospitals, to people in areas like Hindley Street or at Schoolies offering guidance and help to kids who have partied too hard! I'm sure as there's something for everybody out there :notworthy:

:wubclub: LC