Hi I'm new & need quite a bit of advice please? x

Guest simpsona

Guest simpsona

Hi everyone,

We are Sharon, Andrew and 3 children aged 14, 12 & 7. This is our dilemma and really hope we can get round this!:unsure:

Basically, we are a family of 5 trying to emigrate to Adelaide, Myself & Hubby & 3 children aged 14,12 & 7. Our problem is that my Mother in Law would be totally alone if we can't get her out there with us as my hubby is an only child and his Father passed away 18 months back. The Parent Visa app would take too long as she is 65 now, we could not afford the other faster Parent Visa, so we are really stumped is there any other way to get her out there and get a bridging Visa to fill in the gap? She would be incredibly vulnerable if we left her behind and could not make the journey alone to visit us either (she is a little bit ditsy bless her and would end up on a wrong plane lol!) I wondered if any type of bridging Visa's could help in this case?

Also our eldest child has Aspergers & ADHD and I've been lead to believe this will also cause a problem ie if he needs support in school he won't pass the health check and if he passes the health check he won't get support in school once in Australia, is this true? He is exceptionally bright academically (well above average IQ!) Just struggles socially especially around disruptive children.

Any help much appreciated as terrified our plans will hit a brick wall! Oh Hubby is a secondary school teacher so would be the main applicant.

Sharon. x

Hi Sharon,

There are several posts relating to this type of situation, however a member called Gollywobbler is the font of all knowledge when it comes to parent visas.

My mum is currently living here on a bridging visa A which she got after she applied for an ONSHORE parent visa. The criteria for this is:

1 The applicant must be 64 years old

2. The applicant must have at least half of their children lving in Oz

from the sounds of it (and I have only looked briefly) your MIL could apply for an ONSHORE visa once she is in the country. So I would suggest she comes over on a tourist visa for say 9-12 months and if she likes it she could apply for the ONSHORE parent visa (Subclass 108 I think). Once the application is accepted ie she fits all the criteria, she will be given a bridging visa A. She can leave Oz whilst she is on this visa but must apply for a bridging visa B.

That is really just a snapshot of it. If you do decide to go this way I have a copy of the papers I filled out for my mum so would be happy to assist you. The initial cost for this application is about $2500, then there are further costs along the way but its way cheaper than the contributary parent visa.

Hope that helps

Karen

Hi everyone,

We are Sharon, Andrew and 3 children aged 14, 12 & 7. This is our dilemma and really hope we can get round this!:unsure:

Basically, we are a family of 5 trying to emigrate to Adelaide, Myself & Hubby & 3 children aged 14,12 & 7. Our problem is that my Mother in Law would be totally alone if we can't get her out there with us as my hubby is an only child and his Father passed away 18 months back. The Parent Visa app would take too long as she is 65 now, we could not afford the other faster Parent Visa, so we are really stumped is there any other way to get her out there and get a bridging Visa to fill in the gap? She would be incredibly vulnerable if we left her behind and could not make the journey alone to visit us either (she is a little bit ditsy bless her and would end up on a wrong plane lol!) I wondered if any type of bridging Visa's could help in this case?

Also our eldest child has Aspergers & ADHD and I've been lead to believe this will also cause a problem ie if he needs support in school he won't pass the health check and if he passes the health check he won't get support in school once in Australia, is this true? He is exceptionally bright academically (well above average IQ!) Just struggles socially especially around disruptive children.

Any help much appreciated as terrified our plans will hit a brick wall! Oh Hubby is a secondary school teacher so would be the main applicant.

Sharon. x

Guest simpsona
Hi Sharon,

There are several posts relating to this type of situation, however a member called Gollywobbler is the font of all knowledge when it comes to parent visas.

My mum is currently living here on a bridging visa A which she got after she applied for an ONSHORE parent visa. The criteria for this is:

1 The applicant must be 64 years old

2. The applicant must have at least half of their children lving in Oz

from the sounds of it (and I have only looked briefly) your MIL could apply for an ONSHORE visa once she is in the country. So I would suggest she comes over on a tourist visa for say 9-12 months and if she likes it she could apply for the ONSHORE parent visa (Subclass 108 I think). Once the application is accepted ie she fits all the criteria, she will be given a bridging visa A. She can leave Oz whilst she is on this visa but must apply for a bridging visa B.

That is really just a snapshot of it. If you do decide to go this way I have a copy of the papers I filled out for my mum so would be happy to assist you. The initial cost for this application is about $2500, then there are further costs along the way but its way cheaper than the contributary parent visa.

Hope that helps

Karen

Thank you so much Karen,

That nearly had me I tears as been on another forum and told by everyone just to forget it! :-( Even if there is a hope that is so helpful! She will be 65 this year, did you mean under 64 or over 64? It is so important that we can take her as being recently widowed she would be crushed if we all left her! Can't even imagine how she would cope as we see her every day!

I will look forward to Collywobbler's take on this one! But thanks so much for what you have just told me! xxx

Sharon:smile:

[h=2]Age requirements[/h][h=3]Men[/h]Men must be 65 years or older to meet the age requirements.

[h=3]Women[/h]Women should use the following table. The table shows the age at which a woman becomes eligible to apply for an Aged Parent visa.

[TABLE=class: tableborder]

[TR]

[TH]Birth Date[/TH]

[TH]Earliest date you can apply[/TH]

[TH]Minimum Age[/TH]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Before 30 June 1944 [/TD]

[TD]From 30 June 2007

[/TD]

[TD]63

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1 July 1944 - 31 December 1945

[/TD]

[TD]Between 1 January 2008 - 30 June 2009

[/TD]

[TD]63.5

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1 January 1946 - 30 June 1947

[/TD]

[TD]Between 1 January 2010 - 30 June 2011

[/TD]

[TD]64

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1 July 1947 - 31 December 1948

[/TD]

[TD]Between 1 January 2012 - 30 June 2013

[/TD]

[TD]64.5

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1 January 1949 and later

[/TD]

[TD]From 1 January 2014 onwards

[/TD]

[TD]65

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Examples:

If you were born on 15 September 1947, you would be eligible to apply for an Aged Parent visa from 15 March 2012 onwards as you would have turned 64.5 years of age.

If you were born on 26 April 1953, you would be eligible to apply for an Aged Parent visa from 26 April 2018 onwards as you would have turned 65 years of age.

[h=2]Child in Australia[/h]You must be the parent of a child who is settled in Australia as one of the following:

• an Australian citizen
  • an Australian permanent resident
  • an eligible New Zealand citizen.

Sharon, I just downloaded this section for you. There is more info on the immigration website. Oh and it is the 804 onshore visa lol

g

Hi everyone,

Sharon. x

Guest simpsona

Hi Karen,

Thanks so much for that, really appreciate that! It is so complicated isn't it! Bless her she has just gone so quiet every time we have mentioned the hurdles as she would be crushed I know it! She has basically brought up the 3 kids along side me when I've worked etc so would just be devastating to not have her with us! I will look into that 804 Onshore now. xx:smile:

Hi

Golly wobbler gave me some great advice re this. We have been here three years and my Dad dies 5 months ago. All my Mum has got is me as I have no brothers and sisters. I spoke to Immigration and emailed them. Verbally they are much better but tied tied me up in knots of confusion regarding emails and just referred me to everybody else. I have contacted a chap here in Adelaide who has said that my mum needs to do an onshore visa. My Mum is coming back to visit in July and we are going to see them then to seek advice as I want my Mum here, she's 75 and is in good helath but there will come a point where she is not. If you want the details for them, pm me and once I've been to see them, I also might be able to shed some more light for you. Hope it all goes well. Niki

Guest Jon&Linds

Hi Sharon, Have you taken the advice of an agent? Most of them know the ins and outs of the visa processes and most will give you a free assessment. I can recommend my agent if you need someone. PM me if you need any further info. Jonathan.

Guest simpsona
Hi

Golly wobbler gave me some great advice re this. We have been here three years and my Dad dies 5 months ago. All my Mum has got is me as I have no brothers and sisters. I spoke to Immigration and emailed them. Verbally they are much better but tied tied me up in knots of confusion regarding emails and just referred me to everybody else. I have contacted a chap here in Adelaide who has said that my mum needs to do an onshore visa. My Mum is coming back to visit in July and we are going to see them then to seek advice as I want my Mum here, she's 75 and is in good helath but there will come a point where she is not. If you want the details for them, pm me and once I've been to see them, I also might be able to shed some more light for you. Hope it all goes well. Niki

Hi Niki,

Thanks it's such a worry isn't it!! I have read right through some of Gollywobbler's posts on this and it's been a big help! Sorry to hear about yr Dad and hope everything goes well when your Mum get's out there in July! If you could keep me posted that would be brilliant thank you! xxx

Guest simpsona
Hi Sharon, Have you taken the advice of an agent? Most of them know the ins and outs of the visa processes and most will give you a free assessment. I can recommend my agent if you need someone. PM me if you need any further info. Jonathan.

Hi Jonathon,

We haven't had any assessments as yet as really in the early stages of planning but yes if you could pm me your agent details that would be great thanks.

Sharon.

Guest Jon&Linds
Hi Jonathon,

We haven't had any assessments as yet as really in the early stages of planning but yes if you could pm me your agent details that would be great thanks.

Sharon.

PM'ed you (I think!!!)