Thank you PIA for 'Paypal scammers' warning...

Guest ojeelani

Guest ojeelani

Hi

I put my car for sale on gumtree just yesterday. I had the following reply this morning...

Thanks for mailing back,am ok with the price and the condition,i work with New Zealand Oil and Gas (NZOG) and we are presently offshore in New Zealand Taranaki Basin on kupe project.We do not have access to phone at the moment,its 15days off and 15days on and that's why I contacted you with internet messaging facility.Regarding the payment,i will be paying you through PayPal,please get back to me with your paypal details so i can process the payment,you can alternatively send your bsb and account number if you have no PayPal account.I have also contacted my courier who will come for pick up and deliver it to my place in Darwin after the whole fund has been cleared into your account.

I was pleased about the 'quick sale' and was deciding what to do when i got another text followed by e-mail - different person

Thanks for the response,I would have loved to call you directly but due to the nature of my work we do not have access to phone at the moment,which is why I contacted you with internet messaging facility. What is your last negotiable price?

I am buying this for my first son who just graduated on top of his class at Charles Darwin University in NT ,He studied Building Design & Architecture. I want it to be the perfect graduation gift for him and am making it a surprise package ,Does it have any history I should be aware of? and why are you selling if you don't mind my asking.I am already in talks with freighters that will handle the pickup and delivery .I will really appreciate if you can email more info

Due to the nature of my work i am a very busy man working all day,am a sailor am presently on-board, i don't have access to my bank account online as am not with my credit card details here but i have my ANZ bank account link up with my PayPal account so I will be paying you through PayPal to your nominated bank account or better still is if you have a PayPal account ,please get back to me with your BSB and account details or PayPal account so i can proceed with the payment and contact the courier agent who will come to pick it up and deliver it in NT for my son .Await your reply .

Hee hee at this point still Amazed by the response i was getting, i even considered writing to him saying that its a big family car and may not be suitable for his son !

I was still in la la land when i got a third text / e-mail .......

Hi I am ok with the price and the condition,am buying it for my vacation,because i'll be coming soon from our rig.I'm a petroleum project engineer on a rig offshore,i won't be able to come for the inspection due to the nature of my work,i would have love to call

in person but we have call restriction due to bad weather condition our satellite server has been down.I will be paying you through PayPal the safe and easy way to pay online,Kindly get back to me with your PayPal details(name and email address) so i can proceed with the payment and contact the courier agent who will come to pick it up and deliver it in my place.

Await your reply.

I got a bit suspicious and found the following thread in Poms in Adelaide..

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/news-gossip/20327-beware-paypal-scammers.html

Just makes me wonder...do people really fall for these kind of scams...I feel sad for those who do....

Anyway... car's still available and not going through any paypal accounts...Thanks for the warning Poms !

I would have known from the first email. It's a common scam. I suppose some people must fall for it as they keep trying it. Been done for years. Nobody would be stupid enough to buy a car they hadn't seen.

I've had a couple, you just have fun with them before telling them to go forth and multiply.

Glad you realised before giving your car away though.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tinkham_lee

Had exactly the same this morning for my car which is on gumtree and carsguide, exactly the same situation was used. I gave him all the info about the car and said I would only accept cash and wouldn't deal with a courier unless the buyer was here to sign the rego papers and verify the condition of the car before transport.

Guest Cadas

It's not just online this comes up.

I recently tried selling my Audi by the side of the road. Had several 'buyers' wanting it and asking to pay by PayPal as they needed to use their credit cards.

Happy to wait for funds to clear before taking keys, etc.

But the scam here, for those not aware, is that the minute you sign the rego over and they drive away, they register a dispute with PayPal and the money gets returned. Your only route is civil action to recover...... If you can find them.