Just joined

Guest willmary

Guest willmary

Hi all,

Been visiting the site for a few days now since we made our decision to look into moving to oz seriously. We are keen on Adelaide having done some research. Never been to Oz, but clearly we wouldn't be the first to move there without visiting. The site has really helped us to answer a lot of our initial questions. We are both teachers, so hope to get in on a skills visa and we have a little boy, Ben (2).

Anyway that's enough waffle, we are going to appoint an agent in the next few days to get the ball rolling. We can't wait!biglaugh.gif

Will(33), Mary(34) and Ben(2)

Guest willmary

Thanks for your reply - it's great to hear from people who have already made the move.

I just have a few questions.

1. How well received will my british 'Bed Honours' by the Australian eduication system?

2. Are there plenty of teaching jobs available?

3. Where are the best places to find teaching vacancies in Adelaide?

Any help you can give would be really helpful.

Thanks

Will, Mary and Ben(2)

Guest guest569

I had a B. Ed hons degree and it was no problem :)

As to 'are there lots of vacancies'- depends on whether you are primary or secondary. I am primary and have been very lucky, so far and I have been in work the whole time since I have been registered (2 years), this is however on yearly contracts as there are very few postions that are availbale parmanently (except in the private system), but I think there are more jobs in the secondary system.

The questionabout 'where are the best places to find jobs' do you mean location or how to you find jobs. If it is location then I think that the north always seems to be better, when ever I look, but I know some would probably disagree:nah:

I know that there are a lot of other teachers on here who will also be able to help you with any questions you may have

Good luck with the whole process:jiggy:

Mrs PP

Guest willmary

We are both primary trained. I was wondering how vacancies are advertised and where might be the best places to find vacancies on the web. I would be grateful for any help with this.

Thanks,:)

Will, Mary and Ben(2)

Guest guest569

Try looking at the DECS website to get an idea of whats about , although you won't be able to apply for anything until you are here and registered to work.

Also consider the country towns, the ones like Mt Gambier, Whyalla, Ceduna, Robe, Pt Pirie....These are regional centres. Yes you will not be living in the big smoke but these places have very nice beaches too, houses tend to be cheaper and the communities can be very welcoming. People think nothing of driving a couple of hours to get to Adelaide for the day. Some like Whyalla and Ceduna are a good day's drive away though.

Hi to you all

I only started posting on this site last week but have been reading all the posts for months now. We, like you are a young family, (14month old and baby due in 7weeks). We appointed an agent August 2007 and should be moving to Adelaide May 2009 - we are taking things slowly as we need to save up!

I have been visiting Perth (8 times now) since I was 11 and absolutley love the place but house prices are double what you pay in Adelaide and its certainly not as quiet and laid back as it once was. I lived in Sydney for 12months and although a lovely place, just like living in London and very expensive.

We are going to Adelaide as we needed state sponsorship but since last August I have done nothing but obsess with forums and information on Adelaide and it just looks and sounds perfect.

I can't give you any information on jobs or places to live, just wanted to say hi and welcome and good luck.

Denise