Moving in 10 weeks!

Guest Helen Pryse Lloyd

Guest Helen Pryse Lloyd

Hi we are due to move out to adelaide in 10 weeks time! We've only just arranged it. Due to fly out on 5th June and i'm coming with 4 kids under 8 and my 19 year old babysitter to help me! hubby will be coming out 10 weeks later.

So....need help with....

car rental - 6 seater, im too scared to buy something myself so would need something for 10-12 weeks until hubby comes out and guessing i'll need to sort out car seats for all the kids?!

short term (8-10 weeks) 3 bedroom accommodation which can sleep 6. Not too bothered where but would need to be maximum 600 per week

private schools - i'm looking at middle of the road cost wise which need to be co-ed. I've emailed cedar and trinity which i think are my top choice at the mo. any other recommendations?

guessing location we live in will be dependent on where kids go to school

any advice gratefully received!

Guest weegie

Hi Helen,

Scary times and hats off to you for traveling with 4 kids. Sounds like you've drawn the short straw and hubby is laughing!

You'll find some short-term rentals on here in the accommodation section: http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/accommodation-available/

For example:

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/accommodation-available/32655-homes-down-under-availability-update-short-term-furnished-rentals.html

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/accommodation-available/34586-coastandvines-rentals-availability-update.html

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/accommodation-available/26289-roo-rentals-availability-update.html

There are others in that section so it's worth a browse.

We hired a car from Red Spot - https://www.redspot.com.au/car-hire-adelaide-airport.html

We were lucky though, the online system seemed to give us a long-term rental rate when we booked. I'm sure someone on here with more experience can recommend others. The excess (what you are liable to pay in case of an accident) is very high on the standard rentals but you can pay extra to reduce this. We decided to take our chances as we only rented for 1 week. We picked up a cheap 7-seater on Gumtree for $3k - it's a bit of a risk but we needed to keep costs down until we have jobs in place. It's worth adding up the total rental cost as you may be able to buy something decent for the same money, especially when you add on the budget for what you want to spend on a car anyway.

You will need child seats and these can normally be added to your rental at a cost. Spotted these guys while out driving but I'm not sure how the costs compare: http://www.redcross.org.au/baby-seats.aspx

On schools, we've decided that we need to know where we're living before choosing a school. I know many people would go the other way around to get the right school. We're currently interested in Brighton and the public schools there look very good. There also seems to be plenty of choice for private too.

Hope this helps a wee bit - having only been here for a couple of weeks I can still remember the stress and hassle of the last few weeks in the UK. Any other questions, just post on here or Private Message.

Tony

PS: We are loving it here although still in a bit of a holiday mode.

Guest patsmb
Hi we are due to move out to adelaide in 10 weeks time! We've only just arranged it. Due to fly out on 5th June and i'm coming with 4 kids under 8 and my 19 year old babysitter to help me! hubby will be coming out 10 weeks later.

So....need help with....

car rental - 6 seater, im too scared to buy something myself so would need something for 10-12 weeks until hubby comes out and guessing i'll need to sort out car seats for all the kids?!

short term (8-10 weeks) 3 bedroom accommodation which can sleep 6. Not too bothered where but would need to be maximum 600 per week

private schools - i'm looking at middle of the road cost wise which need to be co-ed. I've emailed cedar and trinity which i think are my top choice at the mo. any other recommendations?

Holden Captiva is a 7 seat car -we have one and its a beaut -look them up on the net and get an idea of prices etc as car hire will eat into a budget

Guest Jon&Linds

So....need help with....

Hi Helen, you can also find lots of links at www.adelaidebound.com.

Guest Ricky

Hi Helen , glad you are happy good on ya, i used Smile rent a car they are at the airport now .Very friendly staff at Smile as it is a family run business , they have good prices maybe worth giving them a try , GOOD LUCK

Guest Paula H

If your going to buy a car eventually then it is worth buying ASAP like a previous post says, it'll eat into your budget. We hired for 2 weeks through MD Auto in aldinga and purchased a car within the 1st week.

Good luck, if you need any more advice, help etc, just ask

G'day Helen.

Are you being met at the airport? If not, can I offer my services for a free pick-up and delivery to you temporary home. Some of the guys/gals here will vouch for me so just ask around. I'm meeting the thewhitehouse family in a couple of weeks when they arrive. I'm also available to to assist you buying/renting a car etc etc.

I'm too old to be dangerous :biglaugh: so no worries there. Good with kids as well. Reply here or pm me.

Good luck with the lead up and the flight. Doug

Both the schools you mention are in the north of Adelaide - Trinity is in Gawler and Cedar is in Northgate. Is this the area you are looking at living in? There are a couple of other private schools in the north east that you might like to consider also - there is a good list here http://www.northeast.net.au/ne-schools.php?maincat=1&subcat=&linkscatid_animalsL=1003#1003 (I'm really not sure why that link has the word "animals" in it!!)

A lot of the short term rentals offered on the site tend to be down in the south, so if you are looking at settling long term in the north, have a look for something that is more central. There are a couple I know of who have places more centrally - I have to go do the school run now but will post up links to them when I get home!

Guest Helen Pryse Lloyd

Thanks very one for all your information. My brain is googled out. I've had a no from a few schools as they have a long waiting list already and I'm waiting to hear back from others. I had a good chuckle this am as I received an email from scotch college who said they had a place. I got quite excited as I thought the fees were a very good price then noticed the fees I'd been reading were per term not per year!!!! Haha that ones out!!! Thanks Doug I've pmed you. I've lived in 2 of the areas you've lived in the uk!

lol yes Scotch College is one of the more expensive private schools. The non-denominational ones tend to be very pricey.

You could try Tina and see if she still has this place available in Greenwith http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/accommodation-available/36429-townhouse-greenwith-northeast-rent.html

Otherwise a member Kris used to have a place in Glandore that is fairly central - I think her website is http://www.margaritasplace.com.au/