Just over 5 weeks till we arrive...where are good locations to live??

richcaz

Hello

My husband, son (1year) and I are flying out 5 weeks Sunday, we have sorted out short term accomadation for when we arrive but wondered if anyone could recommend some areas?

We picked Mount Barker as a location for our application to research, but wouldn't mind going somewhere else if better and accesible to parks, schools and shops.

As we are only renting to start with it will make it easier for us to move after a year if not happy but would rather find a location we like and settle in not only for us but our son, as it is already going to be a big thing!

Info much appreciated!

Richy & Carylin

It depends what you're looking for and where you'll be working. We live in the hills just a few minutes away from Mt Barker and it suits us. I drive down the freeway and back up again each day and while it's nothing like the commute I used to face in the UK, not everyone would want to do it. We can go for a day out to the beach at weekends if we fancy, but it's not something we could easily do midweek or in the evenings.

If you want close proximity to the CBD and to be beachside, then Mt Barker isn't the place. If you want great countryside, plenty of wildlife, still enough shops and 'life' to not feel isolated, then it might well tick the boxes. (Incidentally, being up in the hills doesn't necessarily mean being any further from the cbd than some southern beach suburbs.)

Jim

Hi guys, Can I be the first to welcome you to Australia when you arrive. Are you being met at the airport, if not, may I offer my services to meet, greet and transport you to your temporary home? No charge except a smile. P.M. me with details of your arrival if you'd like it to happen.

Cheers, Doug

Welcome, I would hold fire until you get here.

From our experience you can research areas online as much as possible but you really don't get a feel for them until you have looked around in person.

Also, everyone is different so whilst someone may love a particular area of Adelaide it may be your idea of hell. Looking for yourself when you get here is the best advice.

Thanks everyone!Liz no work lined up yet trying well hubby is!Jim and Adel,Great info! We are really not beach people dare I say it but being 30min hours drive from it and the city is fine for us, so in reflection it sounds like it will tick all the right boxes. So will still start our initial search in that location based on your comments.Doug,Thank you for your kind offer we arrive late evening so one of the things we both decided was to ensure transport sorted in advance forrpeace of mind. But a lovely offer!Tomjonesdad,Valid point and whilst we keep an eye on what's available nothing is set in stone as we know what we do and don't like, just wondering if any areas highly recommended for a young growing family.Looking forward to our arrivalRich and Carylin