Hello

Guest AlisonB

Guest AlisonB

Thought it was about time I introduced myself. My husband (Alastair)and I (Alison) arrived in Adelaide on 29th December 2012 from Newcastle upon Tyne (although we are Scottish). So far we have loved living here and enjoy the great weather and lifestyle. We have secured a rental on a house in Glenelg South which is so handy for the beach and the tram into the CBD. My husband has a 5 year contract at Adelaide University and I am a lady of leisure at the moment. We are more mature members of this site (56 & 55 years old) who have left their grown up children back in the UK. I love walking along the esplanade at Glenelg and was wondering if there were any members nearby who would like to meet up for a coffee and a walk or cycle - new bikes bought last weekend!

Looking forward to meeting some new friends.

Alison

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I love Glenelg (we'll be moving there later in the year from the UK). Its a lovely suburb and luckily where we will be living its a 5 minute walk to Jetty Road and the shops which I will appreciate as we do lots of walking here and think nothing of a 20 minute walk to the local shops. I know with the heat in Adelaide is isn't always easy or practical to walk those distances but I want to be able to get around on foot and bike/tram as much as possible.

We don't arrive till a bit later in the year. I'm 42 and our son is at school so my days will be free until I start working and I still hope to only work part time so would have time to meet up.

Guest gormusoglu

Hi alison, can i ask a personal question? My husband and i are of the older bracket me 42 and my husband is 48 this year. We were already to come over, but my husband has got cold feet now saying he feels he is too old to start again. Did you find it harder being older?

Also, second question is if you know. What happens to our state UK pensions? Is it just frozen and you can claim when your 65? Or do you loose it?

Thanks

Adrienne

Hi alison, can i ask a personal question? My husband and i are of the older bracket me 42 and my husband is 48 this year. We were already to come over, but my husband has got cold feet now saying he feels he is too old to start again. Did you find it harder being older?

Also, second question is if you know. What happens to our state UK pensions? Is it just frozen and you can claim when your 65? Or do you loose it?

Thanks

Adrienne

Hey Adrienne,

Sorry but can't resist, I was 45 when we came over (47 now), if your husband thinks he is too old at 48 then God help the rest of us! He is middle aged, that's all, and has enough experience of life to be better placed to make a go of it than most. Maybe he doesn't want to come, which is fine, but to say he is too old is IMHO ridiculous.

NWM

Hi Alison, we are looking to move to SA in December, we are looking at Glenelg and Brighton at the moment so it is nice to hear the positive comments about it! I will probably need to travel to the CBD for work so it is good to know they have tram. I am 37 and my oh is 42, and we have a 14 year old. Hope you meet some new friends soon, I have been advised that when we move 'never to turn down an invite' as it helps you settle when you make lots of friendsx

Guest AlisonB

Hi Snifter

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I'm glad you agree with me that Glenelg is a lovely place to live. Please get in touch once you are over here and we can arrange to meet up.

Alison

Guest AlisonB

Hi Adrienne

We are looking on our time in Adelaide as our great Australian adventure! For us the move has come at a great stage in our life. The children are through school and university and are making their own way in the world. We have no grandchildren as yet and we have the financial resources to enjoy ourselves here. As far as UK pensions are concerned, our occupational pensions have been deferred and we will be able to access them when we are 65. I don't know what happens to the state pension but we will probably be back in the UK when we are due to receive them.

Alison

Guest AlisonB

Hi The Naughtons

If you like living by the beach then you can't go wrong with either Glenelg or Brighton. Henley Beach is also another nice area to look at. I have made some friends through an international book club but most of them live in the Eastern suburbs so it would be good to meet someone local. Good luck with your move to Adelaide in December.

Alison

Guest gormusoglu

Thanks AlisonB, I think I will have to ring the pensions department to find out. I hope you have a fantastic Australian Adventure!

Noworriesmate - Hi, no one said he was too old, it's more like referencing to AlisonB, her children are grown up. We have three children of 3, 7 and 10, all needing to be put through school. Because he is already 47 and we only got our first mortgage 5 years ago, so not much equity, he feels that he would probably have to work harder and longer over there to recover to get back to where we are now? Does that make sense? With our mortgage at the moment, we had to take it out over a lower amount of years than the normal 25 because of my husbands age, I am not sure how mortgages work in Oz, but assume it is the same. We would be paying a higher monthly amount because we would have spent a minimum of £15000 pound probably moving over and living expenses in the beginning. So, it's not a case of age alone, it's about circumstances too. However, he is fitter than most 30 years olds we know, so i do remind him of that too!!

Anyway, I always start to drivel on trying to explain myself on here lol. You guys will know more about me than my own family soon haha. I love this site, but it does always spark up debates and I cannot resist on writing endless drivel of mindless rubbish no one cares about lol.

Hopefully, we will be over by the end of this year and I will be full of the joys of spring and my husband will be rejuvenated!! lol xx

Guest oztostay

We have been here for 9 months now and have arrived and the grande age of 40 something and I would like to say this it was the best thing we have ever done.

My husband worked long days and weekends and the stress level was very high , we have come here and he has changed his career and earn's good money we are still

renting but the quality and the life style is so different we want to live long healthy lives and make the most of the outdoors which we never used to do.

We also brought over two teenage children and there lives have changed for the better too...I would say the 40 something bracket is a great age to come we are extremely happy

once you earn in dollars life is so much better.

Good luck with everything you will be fine make the leap well worth all the stress of getting here :notworthy:

Guest gormusoglu

Thanks Oztostay, I will definiately show my husband your post. I am raring to go, but he flits from yes to no lol, as I'm sure everyone does. It is just so far away, it feels that you have to be sure your making the right decision because it will be hard to come back. Anyway, I don't personally feel too old at 42 so I can't wait to get out of these dark and gloomy days. forcast for (at last) some sunshine this weekend, however, they have now changed the forecast and guess what, it's raining again!!

At least we can say it's very green in England haha, looking out from our windows lol xx