Hello All

Guest SoccerCoach

Guest SoccerCoach

Hi all...well been here nearly ten years now and only just found this site..shame would have made life a lot easier.

Well originally came to Australia on my own when I was 26 on a working holiday visa and never returned...apart from a few Christmas visits.

After a multitude of visas (and a great deal of expense may I add) including temporary 457 working visas, de-facto visas and spouse visa's I finally got my citizenship last year.

I still get homesick from time to time but find the best remedy is to go for a walk on the beach or do something that you would 1) not had the time for or 2) just not had the weather for in the UK.

Main things I miss about the UK is family and football but you have to make the best of what you have and I am pretty sure my family would prefer me to be here and happy than in the UK and miserable.

If anyone needs any advice on anything to do with visa's, Adelaide in general etc. feel free to ask as I have pretty much been there and done it in my time here (including diving with Great Whites in Port Lincoln which is a must).

If anybody also needs advice on football (soccer) over here then also please let me know also worked in air conditioning and managed my own small business so advice advice i can give would be happy to ...

Hi SoccerCoach

Welcome to the site, it sounds like you have definitely been through it on the visa front, well persevered and congratulations on Citizenship. We got ours last year, it's a very rewarding feeling :P

It sounds like you will be able to give a lot to the forum for people just arrived or on their way over so stick around.

Regards

Andy

Guest Andig

Hi SoccerCoach

Good to see you are having a good time now that all your visa issues are finished with.

I may ask for some advice as I proceed with my 489. I have to go this route as I'm 42 and will require ss.

I am a plumber by tease originally but have also done air con for last 15 years and all HVAC services.

Being multi trade how do you think the work prospects would be for me. I have a will to I get over as waiting for OH to finish your degree, so it will be 2014.

Also because I'm doing a 489 provisional I've been told that after 2 years it will not be a proble to get this changed to a pr.

And long term if all well I to would like my whole family to get citizenship, is this a hard process?

Any way, just finished a 18hr day! (Why would I want to leave uk)!!

Look forward to your advise and experience.

Andy

Guest SoccerCoach
Hi SoccerCoach

Good to see you are having a good time now that all your visa issues are finished with.

I may ask for some advice as I proceed with my 489. I have to go this route as I'm 42 and will require ss.

I am a plumber by tease originally but have also done air con for last 15 years and all HVAC services.

Being multi trade how do you think the work prospects would be for me. I have a will to I get over as waiting for OH to finish your degree, so it will be 2014.

Also because I'm doing a 489 provisional I've been told that after 2 years it will not be a proble to get this changed to a pr.

And long term if all well I to would like my whole family to get citizenship, is this a hard process?

Any way, just finished a 18hr day! (Why would I want to leave uk)!!

Look forward to your advise and experience.

Andy

Hi Andy happy to advise.. Unlike the 457 that i was on the 489 leads to permanent residence I believe after two years but you have to prove you have resided in Adelaide for that period.. After that obtaining citizenship is pretty much a doddle and may require you to wait another period of time though before you can apply..

People who are involved in trades will be able to advise you more but I believe that you need to do some sort of certification to transfer your UK trade qualification over once you arrive in Adelaide so I would leave 6 weeks after you arrive for just getting your trade qualifications recognised over here.. (you pretty much need some sort of certificate to do anything over here)

As for the job front over here air conditioning is very seasonal booming in the Summer months and quietening down in Winter but with some get up and go you can get hold of some very lucrative maintenance contracts in and around the city which go all year round. There seems to be a lot more full time jobs in air con in other states however there are opportunities if you are willing to do some travel and regional work aswell as metropolitan. Being multi trade aswell I am sure you will be fine.

I would consider setting up on your own once you get here if you have the funds to do so (as it seems to be the main way to earn some decent money over here) and using forums like these to initially get your name out and about.

​Hope this helps..