freddy duggin

Guest fgduggin

Guest fgduggin

hi i am now retired my son is in the process of uprooting to adelaide in the near future,i am thinking of leaving this now crap country (GB) hoping for late quality of life. are there many retired in the same position, if so would you recomend lifestyle change. fortunately my financial situation is very sound. your comments please.

Guest happy feet

Hi,

Sorry can't help with retirement. although my aunty retired in perth and loves it. Just wanted to welcome you, and say go for it, has got to better than here!!!!

Cara

My parents are retired and are set to come out at the end of the year. They are in their 60's and can't wait to come out to live.

If you pass the balance of family test where there are more of your offsprings living in Aus than the U.K, (or one in each country) you could be eligiable for a parent visa. Your son would have had to be here 2 years to sponsor you or he can sponsor you ealier if he can prove he is settled here.

Another option is for you to apply to Aus Gov for a 12 month visa. Its takes about an hour to fill out the paper work online. You could then come and see for yourself if Aus is for you, no pressure and if it is apply for an on-shore parent visa whilst here.

Parents visa's can take up to 10 years to be granted but you are allowed to live in Aus until it is. Parent contributary visa will take 9 months or so but you'll have to part with $31,000 for the privaledge.

Good luck and personally I don't think you could wrong with Adelaide. There's so much going on for all ages, I'm sure you'd settle in nicely. :wubclub:

Judi x

We are over on a contributory parent visa, and generally loving it, although we knew Adelaide having visited numerous times in the past 15 years.

We were feeling a little lonely last week, so I checked on the internet and found a number of potential organisations to maybe join.

Best so far, ARPA (Australia Retired Persons Association) a number of groups about the city. We have now been to two different group meetings, this week found out that about 70% are ex brits at this particular meeting, played bowls, table tennis and Pool. All extremely friendly, and cant wait for the Sports day. They also have groups made up from all meetings who regularly play golf, cycle, do walks, and numerous other activities. It reminds me of the Church Youth Clubs I used to attend back in the fifties, but for retirees!!!. When we told a few that we were deciding to whether to stay or not, they all without exception said that we would stay, as all thought it was the best thing they had ever done, although all thought that Australia had its faults.

Get you appliaction in for your visa as soon as possible, as it is likely to take a year before being granted, if you are lucky, but as said earlier you can come out to visit for up to a year, to test the water.

Guest mOZzy

hello freddy and welcome to pia! :cute:

i see you've got some sound advice already!

if you want to know if it's for you ... then you'll have to try it out ;)

good luck!

We are over on a contributory parent visa, and generally loving it, although we knew Adelaide having visited numerous times in the past 15 years.

We were feeling a little lonely last week, so I checked on the internet and found a number of potential organisations to maybe join.

Best so far, ARPA (Australia Retired Persons Association) a number of groups about the city. We have now been to two different group meetings, this week found out that about 70% are ex brits at this particular meeting, played bowls, table tennis and Pool. All extremely friendly, and cant wait for the Sports day. They also have groups made up from all meetings who regularly play golf, cycle, do walks, and numerous other activities. It reminds me of the Church Youth Clubs I used to attend back in the fifties, but for retirees!!!. When we told a few that we were deciding to whether to stay or not, they all without exception said that we would stay, as all thought it was the best thing they had ever done, although all thought that Australia had its faults.

Get you appliaction in for your visa as soon as possible, as it is likely to take a year before being granted, if you are lucky, but as said earlier you can come out to visit for up to a year, to test the water.

Hey Hayshake,

I'm going to pass the tip about ARPA on to my parents, sound right up their street.

Cheers

Judi x

Guest Django

Hi Freddy welcome to PIA,

I'm going over now so when I reach retiring age I'm already there.;) I deffo don't want to retire in the UK.:( Good luck. Keep us updated with your plans and if you do decide to go let us know what you think of life out there.

Pete

Guest alibongo

Hi

good luck with your future plans..

Good to hear on this thread about parent visas etc just in case my dad wants to come over once we have settled so thanks guys for the info. will have to check it all out

Ali

• 1 month later...