Moving to Adelaide

Guest Lukas Atkinson

Guest Lukas Atkinson

Hi there. Me and my partner will shortly be moving to Adelaide. We have spent the last month in Perth and I'm worried as I want to stay in Perth. From the forums I've visited it seems that Adelaide is a ****hole? Can someone please put my mind to rest and at least say something positive about the place?

Many thanks

Luke

Hi there an welcome to the forum, although I'm not sure coming onto a forum peopled by those living in - or wanting to live in - Adelaide, and slagging off the place straight away is the best way to start!

Good luck with your move and your query

My family and I settled in Brisbane, and I have through my work stayed in Adelaide, and am presently in Adelaide, with my wife coming down to stay every couple of weeks or so. We both think Adelaide is a really great place and it would be our preferred choice by far, should my work have to take me away from Brisbane. Whilst I cannot personally say how Adelaide compares to Perth, a few friends/coleagues have told me that Perth is a smaller version of Brisbane, if that is correct then my preferred choice of Adelaide remains. Do not know which forums you have visited but from my experience some of the other capitals may, but doubtfull, be more fitting of your assumption about Adelaide.

As it appears you are moving then why are asking this? Life is what you make it, so come here with open mind and enjoy.

Regards Keith

Hi

In my opinion, Adelaide is a perfect family place to live - lovely beaches, Hill, Wineries, lots of play areas with public bbqs. Ive been to Perth and Brisbane and believe each place has something great to offer - but as a previous poster said - its what you make of it!

We've been here for 6 years and love it !

Sarahx

Guest jakeandshelley

We have been in Adelaide for nearly 6 months and I want to move to Perth as I am disappointed at what adelaide has to offer. People say its a great place to bring up kids ( we have 3) but I feel Perth is better for us. Although Perth is seemingly expensive you get more for your money in terms of housing and everything seems newer and cleaner!

Good luck.

Guest Guest12727
We have been in Adelaide for nearly 6 months and I want to move to Perth as I am disappointed at what adelaide has to offer. People say its a great place to bring up kids ( we have 3) but I feel Perth is better for us. Although Perth is seemingly expensive you get more for your money in terms of housing and everything seems newer and cleaner!

We are all different and have different priorities and what suits one will be what others don't like. However, I do find your reasons for preferring Perth a little baffling when you consider the reasons Adelaide won most liveable city again this year.

"ADELAIDE has been voted the most liveable city in Australia for the third year in a row because it is an affordable place to buy housing, has a good standard of living and is clean. The Property Council's national My City: The People's Verdict survey shows Adelaide recorded a liveability score of 63.6 out of 100, based on 600 locals rating 17 attributes of their city.

Nationally, 5842 people were surveyed and Adelaide rated ahead of Canberra, Hobart, Newcastle and Geelong while the other major capital cities were Brisbane (6th), Melbourne (7th), Perth (9th), Sydney (10th) and Darwin (11th)." adelaidenow, March 03, 2013

Edited by Guest12727

Guest Guest12727
Hi there. Me and my partner will shortly be moving to Adelaide. We have spent the last month in Perth and I'm worried as I want to stay in Perth. From the forums I've visited it seems that Adelaide is a ****hole? Can someone please put my mind to rest and at least say something positive about the place?

Hi Luke,

Please define ****hole. What do expect from a City and perhaps we can enlighten you as to whether Adelaide meets your criteria.

This website has some interesting comparisons on Cities (Perth doesn't actually feature on the comparison list - wonder why?) http://www.cityhobo.com/home-page-content/sydney-or-melbourne-or-brisbane-or-adelaide

I expect the secret is in choosing the right area to match the lifestyle you want ie nightlife and cafe culture choose inner city suburbs, surfing - choose southern beach, tranquil and laid-back - choose hills, wine regions, choose Barossa or McLaren Vale - the options are plentiful. The great thing about Adelaide is nothing is far, so you can get a mix of all these easily.

For some information on the sort of suburb to choose the link above also have an interesting shoe comparison. This does include Perth, so perhaps you could look at which shoes match the suburbs you like in Perth and see what the equivalent is in Adelaide. A bit of fun anyway.

Guest jakeandshelley

I suppose it's just what you are used to and as you say we are all different. I have done a lot of research on housing and the areas I like in Perth seem to offer more value for money than Adelaide. Also when I did a reccie in Perth recently things seem to be more modern hence cleaner in my opinion. I found the Swan river and the city itself to be stunning but again we are all looking for different things.

Guest Guest12727

Perth is certainly a newer City than Adelaide. Friends of mine that live there have had to build an extremely long way out of the City to be able to afford a house, and they are both professionals working in the City region. Long commute, but I believe the public transport system is pretty good.

Have you tried the shoe test? It will be interesting to see the areas you like in Perth and which ones are considered equivalent in Adelaide according to 'the shoe criteria'.

Why are you even considering Adelaide if you think its a ****hole?That does'nt make sense.If I were you,I'd stay in Perth tbh.Nothing wrong at all with Adelaide but you've said yourself you prefer Perth and that Adelaide is a ****hole.What are you basing that opinion on?People's viewpoints that have never been?

No need to jump on the defence - Lukas didn't say Adelaide was a poophole - he said that he read on some forums that people thought it was. I think many people overlook Adelaide, even Australians do and it's seen as a bit of a backwater. Perhaps it is. I dunno, I come from Devon in the UK and I'd take a slower pace of life and a bit of air over the big cities any day.

We've been here 10 months and the place didn't wow us immediately but it's really growing on us - it feels safe, it's got beaches that stretch for miles, plenty of lovely countryside near by and lots of great little towns just a short drive away. It does lack something iconic though - and the good bits are just a bit subtle and need finding. I think it's well worth it though.

And as far as poopholes go - how many grey, miserable little places in the UK do you want me to name?

Edited by zebedee

Guest AngPhil

We did a reccie as we were considering Perth, Adelaide and Melbourne. We like Perth, but found it had little to offer outside the city/suburbs for our family. Melbourne was too big and we felt, with two children. We felt at home when we arrived in Adelaide, the city is beautiful, with old buildings and parks everywhere. We loved the hills, but the beaches in the south with McLaren Vale a short drive away seeled the deal for us. We are still very happy that we chose Adelaide and are thankful every day that we are here.

What about a short trip to find out if it is the place for you?

I have been blown away by Adelaide. It's not London but i never expected it to be. It's quiet, safe, low crime levels, everyone is friendly and we have countryside/beaches on our doorstep. There are loads of parks for families and we love the central markets. There's heaps to see and explore as its small enough to walk round the cbd easily.

I'm with adelaidenow on this one, don't take what is said on forums as the absolute truth and base your decision on where you live on that. Visit it for yourself and make up your own mind.

I've found some Aussies tend to be rather negative about Adelaide without having ever been. Zebedee has a point that its viewed by some as a backwater place based on them never having experienced it but going on the old heard it said so repeat it as fact. Its far from a backwater but its not comparable to living in London or Sydney either I'd wager.

Edited by snifter
removed a line of text

Adelaide is most certainly not a ****hole, there are no real **** holes anywhere in Australia, every state is different and fantastic for different reasons, what more can I say, you need to find the passion to truly love Australia like we do its just fantastic xx

No need to jump on the defence - Lukas didn't say Adelaide was a poophole - he said that he read on some forums that people thought it was. I think many people overlook Adelaide, even Australians do and it's seen as a bit of a backwater. Perhaps it is. I dunno, I come from Devon in the UK and I'd take a slower pace of life and a bit of air over the big cities any day.

We've been here 10 months and the place didn't wow us immediately but it's really growing on us - it feels safe, it's got beaches that stretch for miles, plenty of lovely countryside near by and lots of great little towns just a short drive away. It does lack something iconic though - and the good bits are just a bit subtle and need finding. I think it's well worth it though.

And as far as poopholes go - how many grey, miserable little places in the UK do you want me to name?

I think alot of places around the world look grey and miserable when the suns not shining,not just the UK.

Adelaide is most certainly not a ****hole, there are no real **** holes anywhere in Australia ...

Whilst I agree that Adelaide isn't a ****hole, I can't agree with the second part.

We'll all have our own view on what constitutes a ****hole, but if it includes social deprivation, lower life expectancy, high levels of poverty, high levels of crime, high suicide rates etc, then Australia has some shocking places. Did some charity work last year in a remote SA Indigenous community (which actually wasn't that remote at all!) and it was simply appalling.

You don't need to go too far out of some cities – for example, Alice Springs, Darwin, our very own Port Augusta – to be faced with sights that very few other, if any, developed countries have.

Whilst I agree that Adelaide isn't a ****hole, I can't agree with the second part.

We'll all have our own view on what constitutes a ****hole, but if it includes social deprivation, lower life expectancy, high levels of poverty, high levels of crime, high suicide rates etc, then Australia has some shocking places. Did some charity work last year in a remote SA Indigenous community (which actually wasn't that remote at all!) and it was simply appalling.

They don't show that on WDU do they?I did aboriginal studies in Sth Oz,so know a lot about those issues you're talking about.x

You don't need to go too far out of some cities – for example, Alice Springs, Darwin, our very own Port Augusta – to be faced with sights that very few other, if any, developed countries have.

They don't show any of that on WDU do they?lol I did aboriginal studies in Sth Oz so know where you're coming from.x

Agreed - there are definitely some pretty rough areas in the Melbourne suburbs, just like there are back in the UK and anywhere else in the world!

I have heard Adelaide called many things, but never a ****hole. It's certainly not Melbourne or London where I've lived previously, but it definitely has other things going for it such as the beaches and more laid back way of life. It depends what you're wanting from your home city.....

Many thanks

Luke

I wanted Perth and although not visited, we've made the right decision coming to SA. I am not a townie but the city of Adelaide is very nice and parts are extremely affluent.

Sure, there are places I wouldn't want to live, but I'm sure that's true of Perth and other places around the World. I lived in Greater Manchester and used to drive through some very tough areas.

Depends on what you want. For me, Perth is just too far away from Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane/GC. I have friends who have lived in Perth for 5 years and were stunned by Adelaide when they visited. They couldn't get over how pretty it is.

In the current climate, gaining employment would be a priority.

All the best,

Cooler

Guest mature1_arnie

I came to Australia in 1960 & landed in Perth WA with ex-wife & 1 son, #2 born at KEM hospital but at that time there was no work in Perth so decided to drive to Sydney as there was lots of work there but my car broke down in Adelaide SA meaning to move on to Sydney at a later date but never did my #3 & #4 sons were born here in SA & believe its the best state to bring up a family, sure we have not advanced like Perth but its the slow, smaller town which gives room to move with out the crowds which I believe makes this such a good place, I went back to country one in 1989 for a holiday was going to stay 3 months but came back home after one month, I believe the old memory's make one huger what we felt was great as young one's but now nearing the end of my life story at 72 years old with 4 sons, 3 stepsons & 16 grandchildren plus 6 great-children & 2 more on the way this year its the best decision I made for a full & happy life, it what you make of the ups & down of life that in old age tells you yep I did that right all my family are still in Adelaide & would not live any where else !!