dogs to Oz

Guest ben.karen

Guest ben.karen

Hello,

Finally have decided we will indeed take the plunge and go for sponsorship/visa etc. Have told the family which to be honest felt like the hardest part, so the form filling will feel like a doddle in comparison!(I hope so at least).

Just wondered if anyone had taken their pets with them and what problems this encountered. The shipping of pets is all very straightforward but not sure whether it might be problematic in terms of finding rental etc. Also not sure if it's the best thing for our gorgeous, (but nervous - barks at skateboards and woolly hats) Border Collie. Is Adelaide a city of dog lovers? I will be happy to leave him behind to friends of mine who have offered to have him but my kids will really miss him and perhaps him coming over will help them to settle in?

Thanks for your help

Ben and Karen

Hi Ben and Karen,

I've not brought a dog over myself but from living here, I'd say Adelaide is geared up for dog lovers.

The beaches have areas where you can exercise your dog and here in HC, the coastal walk, has plastic bags on a roll and wheelie bins to aid you keep the place free from poop. Plus there's plenty of franchises here of mobile dog washers.

Judi x

Hi Ben & Karen

We have just bought our dog over from the UK. He is 2.5 years old so we felt he was young enough to take it. He had never been in kennels before and was a real lap dog and a great member of our family. He too is nervous of skateboards and bikes etc. We contacted PetAir in the Uk who were very helpful and they arranged all his paperwork and flights. He was at Spotswood Kennels in Melbourne and I think they looked after him really well. I was able to telephone them and speak to his kennel maid , and she was helpful and kind. She could even describe his personalty. We then flew him to Adelaide using Dogtainers and I collected him from the Airport. He was very excited to see us ( as you can imagine as he was in kennels for 30 days) and as soon as I got him back to our house he ran around the garden and has settled in very well. He now loves to sit in the sunshine ( he never did like the rain ) and I am so glad I bought him with us.

I must admit I think he was probably terrified during the journey but it does not seem to have had any affect on him at all.

We live in Hallett Cove and there are dogs everywhere. We did not find it a problem getting a rental , we just offered a high bond ( which they did not take) incase he damaged anything.

You can also fly over to Spotswood kennels ( very cheaply) and visit him as many times as you like.

I hope this information helps.

Regards

Susan.

Guest Nick11
Hello,

Finally have decided we will indeed take the plunge and go for sponsorship/visa etc. Have told the family which to be honest felt like the hardest part, so the form filling will feel like a doddle in comparison!(I hope so at least).

Just wondered if anyone had taken their pets with them and what problems this encountered. The shipping of pets is all very straightforward but not sure whether it might be problematic in terms of finding rental etc. Also not sure if it's the best thing for our gorgeous, (but nervous - barks at skateboards and woolly hats) Border Collie. Is Adelaide a city of dog lovers? I will be happy to leave him behind to friends of mine who have offered to have him but my kids will really miss him and perhaps him coming over will help them to settle in?

Thanks for your help

Ben and Karen

My friend bought her border collie over last year and found no probs in getting a rental. Okay there are not as many about - but they are out there.