Migration agents ( or not)?

Guest ben.karen

Guest ben.karen

HI

Have decided that Adelaide is for us, and sorting sponsorship/skills assessment. Has anyone migrated without using the services of an Agent? Did this make Visa application a nightmare? or was it reasonably straightforward?

Any advice would be gratefully received

Thanks

Ben and Karen

Guest alibongo

hi ben and Karen,

welcome to PIA.. I am using an agent but i think it depends on how organised you are and what visas you are applying for . Quite a few of the nurses have been through the process without an agent ..But I needed to get it right first time with as little stress as poss so went with an agent.

God luck with the process

Ali

Guest DianeJ

Hi,

My OH did everything and it was straightforward. This was before the 1st Sept 2007 though and things have changed since. He used an agent in Sydney for his TRA which cost £300.

Diane

Guest Django

Applying for the visa is a doddle and anyone can do it.

The hard bit is the skill assessment, though this isn't so much hard as long winded. It really depends on the skill you are being assessed on.

Pete

Guest soggy

Hi,

I did it all myself and was fine, it was a lot of work, and it would have been nice to have a agent to answer questions at time, but this forum answered a lot of them and is free !

What skill are you using, I did this myself but it can be difficult, you can use an agent for just this part, the visa itself is just lots and lots of questions some seem to be asked several times, just make sure you check everything twice and write somthing like N/A rather than leave blank areas, ask on here if your not sure about anything and you will be fine.:D

Simon

Guest kerjam

I am attempting to do it all myself although I am now a little worried because other peeps reckon the skills assessment is the most difficult thing.

I have just sent off my forms and payment to VETASSESS for them to assess my academic qualifications. I am a surveyor but will have to go in as a construction manager. As far a I know, all they will do is check that I have the quallies I say I have and then pass or fail the skills assessment?

Have I just wasted my time and money?

Hi and welcome

We are using an agent as it is all a bit itty bitty with our application, we needed SA sponsorship and to take an english test to make up our points, it just seemed easier although has cost a fortune.

I think like everyone else says it depends how straight forward your occupation and skills are although they do seem to get priority processing.

This place is great though for any help you need and I'm sure if you have any difficulties someone here can help for no cost.

Good Luck

Guest ben.karen

Hi

thanks to everyone for their quick and helpful replies.

We are so glad we stumbled across this site. My skill is nursing, and so far that seems to be relatively straightforward in terms of assessment (though time consuming), so I think I'll plough on alone for now!

Guest paul_smart
HI

Have decided that Adelaide is for us, and sorting sponsorship/skills assessment. Has anyone migrated without using the services of an Agent? Did this make Visa application a nightmare? or was it reasonably straightforward?

Any advice would be gratefully received

Thanks

Ben and Karen

Hi Ben.karen

I'm an Electricial Engineer and going it alone, I started through an agent, which I paid £300 for an initial assessment, they then wanted £2000 within a 31day period for the completion so I told them to stuff it. So Far it's going to cost me £300 for the TRA assessment, and about £1000 for the visa it'self. it's straight forward but has taken me almost a month to get the proof together that I am qualified and experienced, even taking advice off of people on this site and writing out my "typical day at work" - I undid the screws, then using a multimeter blah blah, nothing hard just long winded, and they love to repeat questions about 7-8 times if what i've experienced is typical, so I have a folder on my computer with all of my info written out in, then when they ask about something for the upteenth time I just copy and paste, which has cut out about 3 hours of writing so far.

You need really to decide TRA or Vetassess, the latter being more expensive but you will get a trade card with them after doing a practical at a Uk based location, Vet are best for trades: sparks, Plumbers, mechanics plasterers, builders etc, mine is slightly different so I'm using the TRA and if I need to get a trade card I will do it in country which they will let you do, give the assess people EVERY last scrap of info you can to every boring detail, it seems the first step is also the hardest.

Paul.

Guest kerjam

I went to a reputable agent, highly recommended, and they told me a complete load of cobblers about having my skills assessed. The information was so wrong it was unbelievable. That's when I made up my mind to go it alone and save the £3000 for a reccie instead.

Guest susanmary38

hello all

We are doing it ourselves too, tight Yorkshire folk.

$300 for TRA

£60.00 for notary to stamp our capital forms for state sponsorship,

next $2000.00 for our visas, medicals will be about £500.00 for the family.

the money you save will pay for the flights, holiday, bit of rent, etc.

It isn't that hard, give it a go, there will always be loads of people on here to help.

Dave n Sue

Guest jill wright

Hi Ben and Karen

Just to add to Pete's post. We haven't used an agent either for skills assessment or visa application and have found it more or less straight forward. This forum is invaluable for ansewering questions and advice

Good luck

Jill

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Hi,

Horses for courses I would say, if you are fortunate to use a good agent and everything runs smoothly you say to yourself I could have done that, but when there are problems a good agent should be worth their salt.

From reading various forums over the last few years there are plenty of not so good/more expensive agents out there.

In our case the TRA was the biggest hurdle without doubt, but our agent in hindsight made it look very easy, if I had to do it off my own back at the time I not so sure how I would have faired,

Good luck

Guzzler

Guest Django
Thank you very much - I think you've probably just saved me a lot of money, as I was about to apply to the ANMC first!!

I have my uses. Not many I'll grant you. ;)

It will save you a little time as well as there is less to the modified assessment. Good luck.

Oh and another tip get someone at work to certify your documents. Better than paying a solicitor and easier than getting a JP to do it. ;)

Pete