Arriving in Adelaide October '13

Daveyboy

Hi everyone

I am Dave (29) and will be arriving in October '13 with my gf Orla (27). I'm originally from West Yorkshire but lived in Birmingham and London during the last 5 years. Orla is originally from Dublin but has been in England for the last 3.5 years.

Have been browsing through the threads and its good to hear of the experiences of others moving to Adelaide. Particularly reassured to hear of the nervousness people had before coming about finding work/settling in etc but they found with the right attitude and approach that seems to quickly fade away. Some of the posts brought a knowing smile to my face - particularly the one about friends and colleagues at home seeming puzzled about choosing Adelaide - I have had that ALOT too! I note that these people have almost always never visited Adelaide! I lived/traveled in Aus for about 10 months in 2007 and spent about a week in Adelaide and was very impressed - certainly the most understated city (by most people) in the country as far as I can see!

I work in HR and nervous about finding work in a reasonably quick time frame when I arrive. Understandably the recruiters at the migration events in the UK are focused on the most directly transferable professions such as Nurses, Skilled Trades, Teachers, Engineers etc but found with HR it is harder to come across any promising leads for work - any pointers on this from anyone would be really useful. My gf is a Peads. Nurse and was told by a recruiter at an event in Birmingham they would have her in work as soon as she was ready to work - apparently Adelaide is particularly short of Paeds Nurses?

Would love to attend a meet up when we arrive to chat to people if that's ok. Its always great to talk to people that will have encountered the same problems that you are going/likely to be going through when migrating. Hope I can help others further down the line too!

All the best

Dave

Wondered whether you would be able to put your resume in with some of the Adelaide recruitment agencies? I'm sure the forum could probably throw a few websites at you to begin with, that they can recommend. I can relay our recommendations if you want just PM me, don't know if they could help but might be able to give you some pointers.

Maybe start a separate thread for your GF about the nursing side, and see what people come up with, links and contacts etc in case people don't read this one. There is quite a few nursing agencies here as well and probably lots of people on the forum with good knowledge to offer.

I found the migration events not as informative as I had of hoped, well that was just the one we went to anyway, either that or I had done to much research before I arrived.

Good luck with the planned move, count down really begins now :wink:

Hi Dave

I have been in Adelaide 6 years now and have worked in a variety of roles including HR, recruitment and training roles. There is a lot of competition for HR roles in Adelaide and in the current climate roles are harder to find in this area. Have a look on www.seek.com.au under 'Human Resources and Recruitment' for Adelaide and you will get an idea of the roles that are out there and the skills/criteria they are looking for. In Adelaide the job market a lot of the time is who you know, not what you know, it can be a case of being in the right place at the right time and being the right 'fit' for the role.

It is worth noting that as you are arriving in October, generally Nov, Dec, Jan are the hardest months to find work and Adelaide 'shuts down' over this period in terms of recruitment. I would ensure you bring enough money to cover you for this period as a safety net. Having said that there are always exceptions to the rule and I scored my current contract role at the end of November.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the responses. I will follow up on the pointers you all provided. Fortunately my girlfriend has a cousin from Dublin living in Adelaide so we are staying with them when we first arrive which will help our savings go further until we both find work.

Henley Girl - sure - how are you progressing? are you all ready?

Jessica - If its OK I will drop you a PM if you have worked in the industry it would be great if I could talk to you about your local experience

Hi Dave & Orla,

Dave, you might want to keep an eye on the web pages for the three universities in Adelaide as they often seem to have HR vacancies. They are University of South Australia, Flinders University and Adelaide University.

Good luck!

Thanks - I will check that out. Have some public healthcare experience in the UK so might be some transferable experience there.

Hi Dave

It is worth noting that as you are arriving in October, generally Nov, Dec, Jan are the hardest months to find work and Adelaide 'shuts down' over this period in terms of recruitment.

Hi Dave: I was going to suggest you have a look at the seek.com.au site, but Jessica Berry beat me to it. However, she's right about it often being who you know, rather than what you know etc. Still, I'm thinking because people go on holiday during the summer months, October's probably a good time to get yourself registered with a couple of employment agencies who specialize in HR placements, because there's bound to be companies who would need casual staff to fill in while their HR personnel are away. This would give you very good grounding on how it all works here, and also pave the way to possible future permanent employment once you show the agencies/companies what you're made of. It used to work for me many years ago, and all my best long-term jobs stemmed from temping in the first place. It won't hurt to give it a try, anyway. All the very best!!

Guest English rose funerals
Hi everyone

I am Dave (29) and will be arriving in October '13 with my gf Orla (27). I'm originally from West Yorkshire but lived in Birmingham and London during the last 5 years. Orla is originally from Dublin but has been in England for the last 3.5 years.

Have been browsing through the threads and its good to hear of the experiences of others moving to Adelaide. Particularly reassured to hear of the nervousness people had before coming about finding work/settling in etc but they found with the right attitude and approach that seems to quickly fade away. Some of the posts brought a knowing smile to my face - particularly the one about friends and colleagues at home seeming puzzled about choosing Adelaide - I have had that ALOT too! I note that these people have almost always never visited Adelaide! I lived/traveled in Aus for about 10 months in 2007 and spent about a week in Adelaide and was very impressed - certainly the most understated city (by most people) in the country as far as I can see!

I work in HR and nervous about finding work in a reasonably quick time frame when I arrive. Understandably the recruiters at the migration events in the UK are focused on the most directly transferable professions such as Nurses, Skilled Trades, Teachers, Engineers etc but found with HR it is harder to come across any promising leads for work - any pointers on this from anyone would be really useful. My gf is a Peads. Nurse and was told by a recruiter at an event in Birmingham they would have her in work as soon as she was ready to work - apparently Adelaide is particularly short of Paeds Nurses?

Would love to attend a meet up when we arrive to chat to people if that's ok. Its always great to talk to people that will have encountered the same problems that you are going/likely to be going through when migrating. Hope I can help others further down the line too!

All the best

Dave

hi mate , plenty of work in Adelaide for people that want to work but don't get sucked in to the 12 hour days that most employers want you to do , make a life for your self and stick to that rule and you will find Ozz a great place to work rest and play , bit like a mars bar , good luck , graham & Robyn.

Edited by snifter
fixed quote tags

• 1 month later...
Still waiting for the all elusive visa!

I remember feeling the same frustration waiting for mine. I drove my visa agent mad calling him every week for an update! Do you have any news yet?

We are flying out on 23rd October, the build of nerves and excitement is growing now!

Which area of London to you live?

I remember feeling the same frustration waiting for mine. I drove my visa agent mad calling him every week for an update! Do you have any news yet?

We are flying out on 23rd October, the build of nerves and excitement is growing now!

Which area of London to you live?

We finally got it and leave on 17th October, slight panic but I'm sure we will get everything done

we are in Hammersmith

Guest Rustyspoon

Great month to arrive, jobs should still be available and not shut down for Christmas, weather is getting better (although today it's lashing rain), trees have flowers out and the grass is green, it also allows you to get used to the hotter temps on the way.

While you are hunting for your job, go and enjoy your time off before you get stuck into the routine of work/home, take days at the beach/hills and enjoy the area as much as you can.

Best of luck!

Hi Daveyboy,

I am smitesh and would be arriving Adelaide in Jan- 2014. I am also a HR professional mainly into recruitment. Where do you plan to settle? Would appreciate what all stuff you would carrying with you.?? I am winding things down at my place...its too much :mad: would appreciate any help/advice. May be we can talk about other things too..(meeting up, jobs, about place etc).

Looking forward to hear from you

REgards

Smitesh

Hi Daveyboy,

I am smitesh and would be arriving Adelaide in Jan- 2014. I am also a HR professional mainly into recruitment. Where do you plan to settle? Would appreciate what all stuff you would carrying with you.?? I am winding things down at my place...its too much :mad: would appreciate any help/advice. May be we can talk about other things too..(meeting up, jobs, about place etc).

Looking forward to hear from you

REgards

Smitesh

Hi Smitesh

Sure. Are you on a state sponsored visa too? I have seen too much work being advertised I am hoping that it will pick when I get there. Where do you live at the minute?

Not sure on where we will be settling - we are just going to have a look in the first few weeks we are there. Fortunately we have some family to stay with for a couple of months

How about you?

Thanks

Hi Smitesh

Sure. Are you on a state sponsored visa too? I have seen too much work being advertised I am hoping that it will pick when I get there. Where do you live at the minute?

Not sure on where we will be settling - we are just going to have a look in the first few weeks we are there. Fortunately we have some family to stay with for a couple of months

How about you?

Thanks

Hi Dave,

Yes. I am on State sponsored visa. You are right..i have also seen many jobs being advertised..hopefully will land one of them soon. Right now I am in India...! I have few friends with whom would be moving for first couple of months...! Stay in touch and share your progress :)

Have a good one.