Hello, First Time One This Site

Guest Loopylou

Guest Loopylou

Hi, my name is Lorraine, my husband Ian and two children aged 10 & 8 are hoping to migrate to SA. Next week we will be submitting our EOI form. Ian has been working as a bricklayer/construction worker for the last 20 years. Would anyone know what the current economic climate is like in the construction industry?

Thanks

Lorraine

Hi Lorraine & Ian, I work in construction and things are a little quiet at the moment but it looks like you have a while to go yet with your application process, so work situation will more than likely change, but keep in mind there is always work if your willing to find it....

Keep looking at this forum and you should pick up the general feel of things over the next few weeks/months.

I have stepson in england with his own bricklaying/building company, things have been hard for the last year or so for him but work has picked up in the last month, so like here its just the cycle of life! its the steepness and length of the uphill section we have to fight to get over before we can coast along!!

Good luck

Guest Loopylou

Hi Keith, thank you for replying. Like your stepson it has been a struggle for us the last couple of years, but we have managed to keep ticking over. I'll keep looking on the forum.

Thanks again

Lorraine

Keith is totally right. It is quiet here at the moment but there are projects in certain parts of the city that offer some hope for the building industry. My bother in law is a builder in the West Yorkshire area (Batley) and he's had a hard time of it over there.

The South Australian state government has just extended the new home build subsidy to the end of the year and will hopefully extend it further. This is an effort to stimulate the building trade.

As Keith says it will be best to check what local conditions are like at the time of your move. Australia has a multi speed economy with different conditions in different states so that's always an option to look at other areas if things are still slow in this state when you are ready to move.

Tamara

Guest Loopylou

Thanks Tamara, we really appreciate your comments. Let's hope the South Australian State Government extend the new home build subsidy. We hope to come for a visit once we get our visa's, to check out schools, best area to live and work opportunities.

Regards

Lorraine

Thanks Tamara, we really appreciate your comments. Let's hope the South Australian State Government extend the new home build subsidy. We hope to come for a visit once we get our visa's, to check out schools, best area to live and work opportunities.

Regards

Lorraine

Hi Lorraine,

It will be interesting to see what happens in the future and there are so many factors at play.

We have two friends arriving soon. One's a painter and he arrives at the beginning of August. The other one is from my OH's local area in Yorkshire and he's a carpenter...arriving in August. These are friends (not guests) and they will very quickly guage how easy it is to get work. There's some indicators that the property market may be recovering.

Tamara