Medicals prior to being given a case officer?

Guest bobbster

Guest bobbster

Hi

We are just lodging our 190 visa to South Australia:) Loading up documents at the moment. Can anyone tell me how long it took to be issued a case officer and would it be beneficial for us to go ahead with medicals prior to being given a case officer?

Anyone else applying for 190 visa with State Sponsorship for South Australia?

Guest Rachael M Bowen

Hi

we are at the same process (waiting for case officer) but on a 189. We have a migration agent sorting out ours and as yet we have not been asked to get any medicals or police checks. I'm not sure if it's worth you getting these yet until you have a case officer. I think they will let you know when to get them. i guess if you get them too soon they may say that your health could have changed in the meantime.

sorry it's vague but wouldn't want you to spend out on medicals to be told you have got to do them again. from what I have read on the forum they are not cheap.:unsure:

Guest ingyfikry

Hi we applied in early february and got a case officer assigned about two weeks later (PR190 SA sponsorship).

However, our agent had told us not to go ahead with the medicals till we are assigned a case officer and asks for them since you are granted the visa, you have one year to enter australia from the date of medicals and not date of visa grant. So if you do medicals and then case officer assignement is late you are basically cutting down on the amount of time you have to get in australia for the first landing. My advice: wait for case officer (even though I know its excruciating to wait:). Good luck.

Hi we applied in early february and got a case officer assigned about two weeks later (PR190 SA sponsorship).

However, our agent had told us not to go ahead with the medicals till we are assigned a case officer and asks for them since you are granted the visa, you have one year to enter australia from the date of medicals and not date of visa grant. So if you do medicals and then case officer assignement is late you are basically cutting down on the amount of time you have to get in australia for the first landing. My advice: wait for case officer (even though I know its excruciating to wait:). Good luck.

Totally correct. :-)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest AliinAus

It's a while ago now, but someone I know frontloaded medicals and police checks giving them only 4 months to validate the visa - they had to do an additional validation trip which was expense they didn't need (they'd hope their first trip would be migration), you also with some airlines lose any extra baggage allowance (Singapore) if your visa has already been validated.

Guest Warrat
Hi

We are just lodging our 190 visa to South Australia:) Loading up documents at the moment. Can anyone tell me how long it took to be issued a case officer and would it be beneficial for us to go ahead with medicals prior to being given a case officer?

Anyone else applying for 190 visa with State Sponsorship for South Australia?

I know the DIAC website directs you to load your medicals and character checks if your Case Officer allocation is imminent - they state a 190 should get a CO within 5 weeks. There are many other blogs where people who have front loaded have gone straight to grant.

We lodged on 27 June 2013 and I've booked medicals for end of Aug, but intend to cancel if I do not have a CO by then - my reason being that I applied for a 176 in 2009 and was told this would take 12 months and I'm still waiting for a CO - so I'm slightly wary of the timescales given!

If I remember correctly (it was a few months ago), it took around 18 days to be assigned a case officer once we had paid for the application. We had uploaded all documentation besides the medicals and police checks by the time she was assigned to us. These documents have a time limit on them - they are good for 12 months I think. Anyway, we proceeded to book the medicals and go to the police for the police check (for this we had 30 days to prove we had least arranged both of them). We are not in the UK and the results were sent for the medicals direct to Sydney and for the police, to the Australian Embassy. This took a few weeks, but we eventually were granted the visa. Our latest entry time to Australia is 12 months after the date our CO was assigned.

Geoff.