Mark Builder

Guest Mark Builder

Guest Mark Builder

Hi im mark from gloucester

Thinking of emagrating to Adelaide and like to find out the work prospects within the building industry. Im a Bricklayer and roofer by trade and have been working for myself building everthing from garden walls to houses for the last 20 years. I am 40 my wife is 38 and I have 3 children:idea:

Guest Django

Hi Mark,

Welcome to PIA. I can't give any deffo info as I, like you, am still in the UK. However there is somewhat of a building boom at the mo in Adelaide so builders are needed at the present time. Graham (graandjac) is in a similar line and is making the one way trip very soon. I'm sure he can give you low down. Good luck.

Pete

Guest graandjac

Hi Mark, Iam a roof tiler by trade and after our reccie there seems to be loads of trade jobs in adelaide ,all the brickwork (or most) is single storey single skin,and roof work is shallow pitch interlocking tiles(which i hate not good for the back). After having run my own business for the past 11 years iam wanting to head in a different direction, or maybe head towards more leadwork ,as what i saw was bloody awfull. Landing soon will let you know what we find out. Cheers Graham

Guest Nicky&Andy

:jiggy:hi mark. my oh is in the same trade as you, (does any form of building work, brick, stone,block etc ) we have been told skilled trades men shouldnt have too much of a problem of getting work, we'll let you know when we get there!! graandjac please keep pia posted it will be great to hear how you get on.

nicky

Guest graandjac

:unsure:something we do have to be aware of is that ALL trades have to have a licence to work as self employed, or if employed you can work under someone else's as in the boses, but the wages would then be lower.

Long term i would also like to get out of full time on the tools but as for setteling in and bringing in the $ might have to stick to what i know for a while. cheers Graham

as said before , to be a subby you need a licence:SLEEP:complete load of codswallop, buts its more money for the govt......and Master builders. Plenty of work for brickies. Tiled roofing...........you dont need an angle grinder:wacko: they just use this nibbly thing!!!!!

Guest graandjac
as said before , to be a subby you need a licence:SLEEP:complete load of codswallop, buts its more money for the govt......and Master builders. Plenty of work for brickies. Tiled roofing...........you dont need an angle grinder:wacko: they just use this nibbly thing!!!!!

:wacko:And ive just sold all my nibbly things as i didnt think i would need them.....lol

Cheers Graham

Guest soggy
:wacko:And ive just sold all my nibbly things as i didnt think i would need them.....lol

Cheers Graham

don't worry, I brought a spare nibbly thing just in case !

Simon:)

Guest graandjac
don't worry, I brought a spare nibbly thing just in case !

Simon:)

Wow thanks Simon dont know what i would do without my nibbly thing:biglaugh:, .................cheers Graham

P.S are the ozzy nibbly things the same as we use in the uk....???????....lol