Things to do when arrive

Guest Russ c

Guest Russ c

Hi all, we arrive on the 20 july and just trying to make a list of things to do when we arrive, am i right in saying i will need to register somewhere to get a tax number so i can work. Any other things i need to know when i arrive

Cheers russ

Hi russ

Once you're here, you apply online for a Tax File NUmber @ https://iar.ato.gov.au/IARWeb/default.aspx?pid=4&sid=1&outcome=1

You'll probably want to register for medicare (assuming you're eligible to do so - I don't know what visa you're on). You need to go into one of the medicare service centres, you can find the nearest one via this link - http://humanservices.findnearest.com.au/

As long as you're coming from a country with a reciprocal health care agreement with Australia, you should be eligible to access medicare.

As such, once you've registered, you *could* (not saying you should) cancel your private health insurance as

"being enrolled with Medicare under reciprocal health care arrangements is sufficient to meet the health insurance requirement at visa grant and to comply with visa condition 8501.You can only enrol with Medicare if you are in Australia. If you have enrolled with Medicare you should provide evidence that you have been issued with a Medicare card as part of your application.

If you are overseas, you must arrange adequate insurance for your initial period in Australia and provide evidence of this insurance as part of your application. You may be eligible to then enrol with Medicare once you are in Australia. Being enrolled with Medicare is sufficient to comply with visa condition 8501" (http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/457-health-insurance-faq-visa-holder.htm)

At the very least, it's useful to register, even if you only use it to obtain a Medicare card - which is a useful form of ID when it comes to 100 point checks, setting services up, Id for driving licences etc etc.

Guest Adelaide_bound

An SA driver's license is handy, you just pop into the transport dept. offices (on North Terrace, in the same building as the newest Tourist Information office) and can do it there.

Find your nearest Library branch and register with them/get a library card (I LOVE the library, free to order dvds! and loads of mags, its so super easy to use and our local branch is in walking distance - one card gives you access to all the Adelaide Library branches, they are all linked)

Once you are in your home, contact the local council for a 'new residents' pack.

You can start to work before you get the tax number as well btw - you get a certain amount of time to give them your tax number though or you get taxed at something like 50% (:o) so best to get it sorted as soon as, but not having it isn't a barrier to work (You can't get one before you land in the country though).

Don't know what the 457 gives you in terms of benefits etc, but if you're eligible for Family Tax (and have a family in the way of kids, obviously) if you register with Centrelink for that. If you don't have kids though don't bother, as they get very confused with people wanting to register with them, but not claim anything, its totally out of their comprehension you don't want any money off them, just want to register lol.

Really can't think of too much more - everything is just too easy here, so no stresses if you do realise you need to do something :)

Was gonna say don't forget Ambulance cover as you have to pay for ambulances otherwise, also you would need to retake your lessons and test for the SA diving licenses we did and we were on full residency visas, (perhaps its changed but we were not allowed to just tranfer our UK licenses) get medicare sorted out if you are allowed it, and speak to Centrelink re payments for any children. Get your tax file number you will also need to do a tax return, they are due now so speak to an accountant to see what you need to do regards this i can recommend a good one near the city, everyone has to do one regardless of income. Register with a doctors once you are there and a dentist.

No, you don't need to redo your driving test if you have a uk licence.

Blossom is correct, but there are some quirks so check them out on the SA gov web site (transport pages) just type of vehicles and under 19's. but generally ok for car and bike!

I think we got ripped off in Queensland too, by a pommie instructor!!!

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi
Was gonna say don't forget Ambulance cover as you have to pay for ambulances otherwise, also you would need to retake your lessons and test for the SA diving licenses we did and we were on full residency visas, (perhaps its changed but we were not allowed to just tranfer our UK licenses) get medicare sorted out if you are allowed it, and speak to Centrelink re payments for any children. Get your tax file number you will also need to do a tax return, they are due now so speak to an accountant to see what you need to do regards this i can recommend a good one near the city, everyone has to do one regardless of income. Register with a doctors once you are there and a dentist.

We didn't need to take a driving test (Jan 2012) We just rocked up with our UK license, filled out the forms and got our Aussie ones - temp one there and then and proper one sent out in the post after that.

If the OP isn't arriving until 20th July they won't need to worry about doing a tax return until next July either.

its damn right annoying finding this out, wish I still had the guys details but it was ages ago, thats where this site is great xx cost us a bloody fortune to redo them in lessons and the new written tests at $20 a time !!! think I took 4 written tests and my hubby did 2, plus the lessons and test fee !!!!!!! grrrrrrrrr

Guest Haythem Hassan

thanks for sharing these links, Im moving to Adelaide 15 September and Im abit lost in what to before and after arrival and this thread helped me alot :)

thanks for everyone posting helpful info here

Hi Cerberus1

I cant open these links, can you help me please

thanks

if you get a restricted access message, try opening the links after logging out from the site. Once I had done that they opened fine.

But it might be good if a moderator looks into this

no access.jpg

This is error message if I try opening the links while logged in.

Who shall I contact so some admin/IT person can have a look ?

(btw, clicking on the log out link and then 'view previous page' does open them)