Thinking of making the move need some advice

Guest janni

Guest janni

hi, i am seriously thinking of moving to Aussie. I have some things, well quite alot of things i would like to ask. I would like to talk to any english people who have made the move to find out if they think it was a good choice. I have 2 girls 17 + 9yrs and a 15yr old boy. Our friends are moving to adelaide within the next few weeks and told me about this site. Do the children settle in well over there. is there much for them to do. my boy is a keen footballer and i would like him to continue over there. any advice on anything would be really appreciated. many thanks x

Guest Django

Hello Janni,

Welcome to PIA. Those that can help with your question are tucked up in bed at the mo. No doubt once they get up they will throw in their aussie dollar's worth.;)

Pete

Guest Roz G

Hi Janna

Welcome to PIA. I've found this is a great forum with lovely people and loads of really helpful information both from those going through the process and those who've already emigrated. Have a look through some of the previous threads, there's loads of info at hand.

Good luck.

Roz

Hi,

usually the kids settle in faster, their life revolves around school and friends and once they are in school and made friends then they start building the social side of things. I know one family who have 4 kids and came out here 4 yrs ago. 3 of the kids settled really quickly,tried new sports, found friends etc. the other one is fine but it took this one a bit longer to settle due to not being very good about change.

Girls here do pretty much the same here as in the UK...movies, shopping, sleepovers, sport for those that like it, going on msn, myspace etc. There is Scouts, Guides, art classes, dance, drama etc.

There are many soccer clubs here and also school teams.

Guest Libby1971

We have been here almost a year. Our daughters were aged 13 and 10 when we got here and have since had birthdays.

They have settled brilliantly well. Both have recently commented, without being asked, that they feel more relaxed here and are happier. Both like UK and feel it is important to them with friends and family being there but Aus is home now. The eldest said she can't really see her living back in the UK again.

It is early days still but we are pleased at how well they have adjusted.

You ask is there much for them to do? Adelaide, where we live, is the capital city of South Australia and has all the amenities that a city in the UK would have - museums, art galleries, cinemas, bowling alleys, ice skating rinks, swimming pools, shopping malls, etc. It also has a few more things like stunning beaches, great weather so no last minute cancellations for days out coz the weather is too bad, whale watching trips and dolphins swimming in the bays.

Sport is well resourced and well funded in schools. Sport facilities all over the place are numerous and we met a bloke recently who runs a football club for kids near here. There are lots. Many kids play soccer, as it is called here, and really enjoy it.

I would say go for it.

Libby

Guest Guest75

I'd advise do much research as you can - good idea to come into a forum.

We've lived here quite a while now and feel really settled - but it ain't easy at times.

You may find it harder with having older children,they don't settle as easily here.

We have friends who moved over last year with kids of a similar age.

Their boy is 15 and soccer mad - he joined a few local clubs and has been spotted for Adelaide with an offer of a paid position.Good for him..All 3 kids have taken to the place full on now.

I'd advise for your older ones to look for a part time job to give a little independence and to take driving lessons asap.It gives them something to look forward to/distracts them from missing the UK and gives independence.