Hello and where do we start??

Fotherespie

Hello everyone, We are the Fotherespies (Shane and Paula and 2 1/2 year old Toby). We have been granted our visa to SA and need to activate them in May 2014, but hoping to come around Jan / Feb time. So far everyone on the forum seems lovely :) I know I will be asking questions that have been asked before, so can I check is there a section that lists 'to do before leaving / arriving' and any budget breakdowns for what is needed on arrival? We would love to meet people to so advice on meet-ups in the UK or Adelaide would be wonderful. x

Hi and congratulations on the visa!

Jan and Feb are the hottest months in Adelaide and it can get above 40 degrees. Just thought that I would mention it as I have met people who arrive for a short stay and think that it's that hot all the time!

You can sort out most of your admin stuff on your trip and it only takes a few hours. You will find the people friendly and helpful and you will return with another list of items to purchase and bring with you!

All the best

Tamara

Guest Guest75

Agree with Tamara - so many people do not realise how cold it gets here in Adelaide.

We have just had a gas fire fitted, have electric blankets and so on.

May will be nice weather but pack jumpers /warm clothing. Some in hand luggage as well.

Hi and congratulations on the visa!

Jan and Feb are the hottest months in Adelaide and it can get above 40 degrees. Just thought that I would mention it as I have met people who arrive for a short stay and think that it's that hot all the time!

You can sort out most of your admin stuff on your trip and it only takes a few hours. You will find the people friendly and helpful and you will return with another list of items to purchase and bring with you!

All the best

Tamara

Hi Tamara, what sort of stuff would be on your 'buy to bring with you' list?

Thank you everyone - I'll definitely take a look at your thread, Henley Girl. I'm trying to do a bit everyday now. Just working on the mass 'sell off' at the moment as we're moving in with folks for a couple of months before coming out. Next on the list is looking at finding us temparary accommodation as cheap as poss! I'm looking at house sits - has anyone tried this??

Thank you everyone - I'll definitely take a look at your thread, Henley Girl. I'm trying to do a bit everyday now. Just working on the mass 'sell off' at the moment as we're moving in with folks for a couple of months before coming out. Next on the list is looking at finding us temparary accommodation as cheap as poss! I'm looking at house sits - has anyone tried this??

We did; we're a family of 5 and weren't sure we'd get anywhere but fortunately we managed to sit for two families for a total of about 10 weeks. We had to look after the family dogs but that was no bother and gave us something normal to do while sorting out all the new stuff. We had to pay utilities but it definitely worked out a lot cheaper than any other type of accommodation, and gave us the flexibility to explore where we wanted to be based long-term. We registered with Aussie Housesitters (I think) and figured that the registration fee was minimal in with everything else that was being spent at the time.... but it was definitely worth it.

As for what to buy to bring I would go for electrical items like your hoover (whichever is your preference - I wish I'd bought a new Henry) but I'd also not give away/sell everything such as the children's buckets and spades, tennis racquets etc because when you arrive the last thing you want to do is actually try and find places to replace this kind of stuff - or it was for us. My motto - if I could go back - would be if we've got the room it's coming.

Good luck with this part, hope everything goes smoothly for you.

For me that would be towels, bedding, sheets, duvets, summer shoes and clothes and some winter stuff also (which I have heaps of anyways so not buying more winter clothes).

Bedding is fine if you are bringing your own bed too, but just be aware that the bed sizes are different here.

Bedding is fine if you are bringing your own bed too, but just be aware that the bed sizes are different here.

I am :) We are shipping our kingsize bed and have all the bedding for it. Not shipping son's bed but am bringing his duvet and covers for it. Will buy new fitted sheets to fit whatever bed once we buy it if ours don't fit (we have lots of European sized bedding also so should be fine). Its mainly the bottom sheets or fitted sheets not the covers that are a snug fit or too small. KS duvet covers will fit an Aus queen fine, sheets should also, perhaps just the fitted sheets would be snug/tight or not fit.