Help with college ed

Guest Emmiejay

Guest Emmiejay

Hi all, we are moving over next year and my 16 yr old son is concerned about his college education, we have been looking to move to aldinga are there any colleges near by for him or will he have to travel for miles:wacko: he has already achieved a BTEC diploma in sport sciences he is keen on becoming a sports physio any info would be greatly appreciated.

Will he have his driving licence before you get here? If you are planning to move to Aldinga and he wants to continue studying i would strongly recommend it. I dont know about courses in sports physio etc, but i am guessing this could involve Uni. University's are around the city, north and south. There are TAFE colleges scattered about but different ones do different courses.

I would look up the kind of courses he wants to do first and see where they are held before making any decisions as to where to live.

Good luck!

Guest Emmiejay

Thanks for the reply, I agree about the finding somewhere different to live, I'll be happy if the kids are happy so will defo do some more research into different areas and colleges, he hasn't got his driving licence yet as he is still to young but I'm sure it will be the first thing he gets when he turns 17. Any info on good places to live for an active family would be very much appreciated, also something for me as I am the only female in an all male household would like to be able to get out and about and form a social life :)

Guest Guest12727

Hi,

To qualify as a physiotherapist you need to do a 4year undergraduate degree at University. In SA there are 2 unis with physio degrees, UniSA at City East Campus (in the city) and Flinders Uni which is South of the City. UniSA would be easy by train from Aldinga, Flinders may be a bit trickier with public transport from Aldinga but is certainly driveable.

There are other programs as well at UniSA in this general area such as exercise physiology and human movement.

The other level of further education in SA is TAFE. I don't know if they have any courses in these fields.

SATAC are the further education admissions centre so take a look at this link for admission requirements into programs.

http://www.satac.edu.au

Guest Rachael M Bowen
Hi all, we are moving over next year and my 16 yr old son is concerned about his college education, we have been looking to move to aldinga are there any colleges near by for him or will he have to travel for miles:wacko: he has already achieved a BTEC diploma in sport sciences he is keen on becoming a sports physio any info would be greatly appreciated.

Hi

we too are hoping to go over between July-Sept 2014, my son will also be 16 and will have completed his GSCE's here. We also have the same worries about where he goes to continue his education. I have found this site useful http://www.sace.sa.edu.au/home as it explains a little how the system works. My son wants to go down the music/media route at A'Level which I think is stage 2 on the SACE???. Have a look and you may be able to contact someone that can give to more info.

Hope this helps

Oh just noticed Howde posted the same web site so must be on the right track

Edited by Rachael M Bowen

Guest Emmiejay

Thanks for the info guys will deffo be looking into this, so glad I joined this site should have done it earlier. Researching will have to wait for now I'm shattered after a 13 hour shift. Howde my sons diploma is what he took in his option at school it was applied sports health and health sciences and he got a distinction do you think he would have to take another test when we get over there or will his results from UK be accepted?? Sorry for the bombardment .

Hi

we too are hoping to go over between July-Sept 2014, my son will also be 16 and will have completed his GSCE's here. We also have the same worries about where he goes to continue his education. I have found this site useful http://www.sace.sa.edu.au/home as it explains a little how the system works. My son wants to go down the music/media route at A'Level which I think is stage 2 on the SACE???. Have a look and you may be able to contact someone that can give to more info.

Hope this helps

Oh just noticed Howde posted the same web site so must be on the right track

If you come later in the year it's probably best for your son to start Year 11 in 2015, then do the two years of the SACE course in his subjects.

By the way, I'm not into Northern Soul myself but some good friends are - they have moved up to the GC now, but I'll message her and get you the Adelaide contact if you like - I know there's quite a thriving group down here!

Guest Rachael M Bowen

Yes we thought that too about starting 2015 then he'll have 3 months to chill, have a look at different schools etc. So do you think he will have to do year 11 over again? as he starts yr11 here in the UK next week? I was hoping he would go to yr 12 college and that they take into account the GCSE's he has completed here? I am also going to ensure that his current school provide us with handover files too....... Flipping heck I hope he can as he will not be impressed at being a yr 11 again!!!! and the last thing I want is a grumpy teen :arghh:

As for the Northern Soul we have joined the Adelaide Soul City forum and Soul in Oz

, this was the first thing we looked into before we decided to make the move LOL ..... must get your priorities right, fun, sun and soul!!!!!:biggrin:

Guest Guest12727
Thanks for the info guys will deffo be looking into this, so glad I joined this site should have done it earlier. Researching will have to wait for now I'm shattered after a 13 hour shift. Howde my sons diploma is what he took in his option at school it was applied sports health and health sciences and he got a distinction do you think he would have to take another test when we get over there or will his results from UK be accepted?? Sorry for the bombardment .

Hi Emmiejay,

To get into a university degree course your son will need to complete his final school year and achieve high enough overall score to gain university entry.

If he is coming to Adelaide while still at school he will enter the SACE system as mentioned by Rachael above. Look at the link she has provided to SACE. This is the final 2 years of school here, like A-Levels in the UK. He will then apply for university and gain entry to courses based on his tertiary entrance ranking (TER) which is out of 100 points.

If he has completed his A-Levels before leaving the UK he can use his grades from there to apply. To do this contact SATAC, the link I provided above. They will look at his grades from UK and work out the equivalent TER to determine whether he qualifies or not for his program of choice. SATAC can provide you with more definitive information than I can give.

To do physiotherapy the TER required is very high, high 90s. But there are other health science courses that may be up his street and don't require such a high TER. It is also possible to gain entry into one of the other lower TER courses and then if he does well in the first year, apply to transfer into physio. Here is a link to the health science courses available at UniSA which may help give him an idea of the direction he wants to go in. http://www.unisa.edu.au/Health-Sciences/Schools/Health-Sciences/

I know this is all confusing and am happy to answer some more specific questions if I can.

Edited by Guest12727

I was hoping he would go to yr 12 college and that they take into account the GCSE's he has completed here? I am also going to ensure that his current school provide us with handover files too....... Flipping heck I hope he can as he will not be impressed at being a yr 11 again!!!! and the last thing I want is a grumpy teen :arghh:

If he doesn't want to go to TAFE (Further education college), there are also a couple of what are called "Senior" Colleges he could look at (kind of like 6th form colleges) - the ones I know of are Eynesbury, Marden, and USC (which has links with Adelaide Uni) - but those are just the ones I know of locally to us, so there are probably others down south.

My daughter has just finished Year 12 and my son is in Year 11, and for them, it really seems like most of the curriculum work is covered in Year 11, with Year 12 being mostly revision, assessed assignments, and of course exams. They actually only do about 2/3 of a year in Year 12, with exam leave etc. I would think that going straight into Year 12 and a foreign education system would be hard for anyone, so although your son may not like the idea of being a Year 11 again, it would certainly benefit him if he can bring himself to do so! They don't do anything like GCSE's here at all - although my son did have to attain a certain level in subjects he was selecting for Year 11, but only on internal exams, coursework, and general effort. It is also possible at some places to do a Year 13, or a foundation course for Uni entry after Year 12.

Guest Rachael M Bowen

Thanks for that Diane, it's a minefield and not knowing the geography of areas it's also very daunting. I hope that between Sept 2014 and Jan 2015 we will be able to do hands on research and get him settled somewhere. I know we want to put our children's happiness first and not unsettle them even more than we probably have making the move but realistically it will also depend on where I will be working too. I guess the best bet is to do as much research when we are there in the first 3 months and try to get a happy medium.

Sorry Emmiejay don't want to seem to be taking over your post xx but hopefully this will also be useful info to you.