Adelaide bound!

shazlouD

Hi

just thought i'd introduce myself to the forum.... My husband and i will be heading for Adelaide around December! exciting stuff! He has secured himself a job so while he's earning a crust i'm gonna be doing the house hunting and settling in while waiting for Dylan the dog to join us. Hoping to keep myself busy, meeting new people, getting to know SA and also looking to find work carrying on my passion for youth and community work which i love! If all else fails i'll be dusting off the hairdressing scissors! Any way thats me n i hope to hear good thing from some of you soon

Hi

we re in a similar position and travel in 2 weeks. I got a job in Adeliade but no relaxation package my wife will be like you sorting the house and looking for work as a primary school teacher whilst we wait for our dog Ben to arrive. Funny his brother was called Dylan but sadly passed away 2 years ago so just Ben coming now. We are busy sorting out as the removal company arrive on Monday and we are also bringing my wife's mini so have had to have that thoroughly valeted and the air com discharged erc

been a very busy last few days! Can't wait to get there an feel the sun as its been pouring down here all day and likely to be here all weekend !

Hi kevinr just out of interest whats it been like sorting the car??? I too have a mini convertible which i love so much as it was a wedding gift from my husband! I would love to take it with me for sentimental reasons and will be gutted to have to sell it! Is it mega expensive to ship. Just need to know whether it would be worth it. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ;)

Hi Sharon

when we went in April everyone said to u to being it as cars like it as very very expensive in oz. we looked at a few and they were twic the price. You have to get a vehicle import licence from Canberra which takes about a month. We are putting ours in a container with our furniture and you have to ensure it is immaculate when it lands our customs will charge you cleaning. The air con has to be discharged and you have to have fittings for child restraints in the back which cost about £30 but other than than the car is the same as the ones in oz then it's just a case of clearing customs going to have it checked over and registering it. One good think about oz is that you pay rego which is their excuse licence and insurance so anyone can drive the car 3rd party not like here in the uk

there are a couple of companies on here who can do it all you eg Iron Lady who come highly recommended and we may use them once the car lands in Adelaide

my wife is very happy as she loves the car

I've been looking into buying a new car out in Adelaide, and I've actually found it works out cheaper to buy out there than to buy it here in the UK. I guess it depends where the car is from - European brands are likely to be far more expensive, but chinese, japanese & other asian cars not so.

Hi

just thought i'd introduce myself to the forum.... My husband and i will be heading for Adelaide around December! exciting stuff! He has secured himself a job so while he's earning a crust i'm gonna be doing the house hunting and settling in while waiting for Dylan the dog to join us. Hoping to keep myself busy, meeting new people, getting to know SA and also looking to find work carrying on my passion for youth and community work which i love! If all else fails i'll be dusting off the hairdressing scissors! Any way thats me n i hope to hear good thing from some of you soon

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Arriving just in time for Christmas and summer in full swing, sounds good.

Its good he already has a job lined up as from what I read and hear, job hunting that time of year can be hard as things shut down for the holidays and pick up again in the new year. Will be one less thing for you to have to worry about when you arrive if he has a start date and everything all lined up. We arrive on a Friday, hubby starts work again on the Monday. Picking up where he left off pretty much :eek: I'll not be looking for work till after the summer hols end in Jan and son is settled back at school. We arrive at the start of next month so I'll have time to find my feet and stuff.

Give a shout out when you are landed and I am sure there will be a few of us on here happy to meet up for coffee and stuff :)

When does Dylan arrive? What type of doglet? Love dogs and always happy to see pics of doglets :wubclub:

I've been looking into buying a new car out in Adelaide, and I've actually found it works out cheaper to buy out there than to buy it here in the UK. I guess it depends where the car is from - European brands are likely to be far more expensive, but chinese, japanese & other asian cars not so.

I'm already eyeing Mazdas over there. A nice 3 would do us great :cute:

Hi kevinr just out of interest whats it been like sorting the car??? I too have a mini convertible which i love so much as it was a wedding gift from my husband! I would love to take it with me for sentimental reasons and will be gutted to have to sell it! Is it mega expensive to ship. Just need to know whether it would be worth it. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ;)

If its a soft top, be aware they can be problematic in the hot weather. Mainly as if driving you won't want to be out driving too much in the sun with the roof down when its hot and if the roof is up, the heat can damage the soft top.

I'd ask Iron Chef over on PIO about a convertible mini and how the roof will suit over there. I know I don't recall seeing many soft tops at all on the roads. Personally, as much as I love soft tops, I'd not want to sit in traffic or drive for too long with the roof down in summer as it can be really hot and sun damage would worry me (for myself and the car, but mainly myself).

Coffee!!! I was thinking more of sampling the local wines/beers! Ha! But it would be good to meet a few of you.

Unfortunatly dylan wont be arriving until march time :(((( as its all moved so fast we didnt realise he needed his rabies vaccine over 180 days before he was allowed in the country! However we have some fantastic friends who are going to foster him for a few months so know he will be well looked after and treated as part of their family. He's a cocker spaniel and very adorable :))