Where in Oz ?

Guest Scottish Dreamer

Guest Scottish Dreamer

Hi all,

I've been offered a job but given a choice of destinations in Oz to choose from. We really like the sound of Adelaide with all of its diversity and apparent chilled out lifestyle but I've also been offered the choice of Geelong in Victoria, The Blue Mountains (Penrith area) west of Sydney and Brisbane. Has anybody got any information on these other places from personal experience, as this really counts for a lot.

Thanking you in advance

I'm going to suggest you post over on our sister site, Poms in Oz and ask this as there are people who post on there who live in the areas you've mentioned and can probably give you good feedback.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/forum.php

We also have sister sites to this for QLD http://www.lifeinqueensland.com/ Victoria - http://www.lifeinvictoria.com/ and Sydney/NSW - http://www.sydneyforum.com/

I don't know any of the areas personally so no input from me on them.

Sydney area is meant to be expensive housing wise, but no clue as to if this affects Penrith. Geelong, I've read good and not so good.

End of the day, everyone is going to have their views or opinions, it really boils down to what you hope to achieve from this move. Is this a long term move, a temp visa, are there school fees to consider, commutes to work and so many other things.

Hi all,

I've been offered a job but given a choice of destinations in Oz to choose from. We really like the sound of Adelaide with all of its diversity and apparent chilled out lifestyle but I've also been offered the choice of Geelong in Victoria, The Blue Mountains (Penrith area) west of Sydney and Brisbane. Has anybody got any information on these other places from personal experience, as this really counts for a lot.

Thanking you in advance

I have lived in Melbourne for a year about 5 years ago but visited the major cities during that time (except Perth). It really depends what you are looking for. I loved Melbourne for the live sport and events, nightlife, great places to eat and shop and the amount of young single people it was easy to meet. It has a feel similar to a large British city and a similar size to Manchester (probably abit bigger) It wasn't too expensive to live there either. Its very diverse with lots of British, European and Asian people. The downside is the unpredictable weather (by Australian standards) having said that if you enjoy a distinct winter its not a problem. Geelong is just round port phillip bay from Melbourne and probably about 45 mins to an hour drive to Melbourne. If you looking to draw a comparison to the UK it might be like living in a small town relatively close to somewhere like Manchester or Glasgow. I went there a couple of times on the way to the Gt Ocean Road and stopped off its much quieter and slower and has a smaller town feel.

My brother lives in Brisbane where the weather is more consistently warm throughout the year so. If great weather is high on your 'wishlist' it is a good alternative to Melbourne and even Sydney. A bit slower paced and would be closer to the stereotypical australian lifestyle you imagine - barbecues all year round and visiting the beach regularly. Some great places up and down that part of the coast line within a couple of hours drive for day or weekend trips.

Sydney is pretty similar to London - the pace of life is pretty similar and living costs are expensive. If you are looking at Penrith you will be well out of the city I haven't been there myself but I guess you could probably draw comparisons to living somewhere like Hemel Hempstead in relation to London. You're out of the way but within a reasonably short drive or train to the centre of the major city in country.

Adelaide - I have spent a week there and I am moving over in October. My impressions were that it has a large country town feel, not too big. Again drawing comparisons to somewhere in the UK it would probably compare to somewhere like Leeds or Sheffield. Weather is slightly more consistent and a tad warmer throughout the year than Melbourne and comparable to Sydney. The reason we picked Adelaide is that now I am touching 30 I am not as keen as I was on living in a big city and the 'hedonistic' activities you would be usually drawn into in places such as London, Melbourne and Sydney.

Hope this helps a little - I would say do as much research as you can before making the final call. Everyone has different impressions of places so don't be persuaded on any one individual view.

Dave

Guest Scottish Dreamer

What a great reply to my post, I really appreciate your time and effort and it gives me an idea of comparisons. I think we've probably ruled out Sydney and Geelong anyway as I don't think they're really for us as a family. Our number one choice is still Adelaide as it really seems to have it all within in relatively short drive (hills, beaches, vineyards, city) but it's such a huge decision when you have children and you're trying to tick as many boxes as possible.

Good luck with your move in October!

What a great reply to my post, I really appreciate your time and effort and it gives me an idea of comparisons. I think we've probably ruled out Sydney and Geelong anyway as I don't think they're really for us as a family. Our number one choice is still Adelaide as it really seems to have it all within in relatively short drive (hills, beaches, vineyards, city) but it's such a huge decision when you have children and you're trying to tick as many boxes as possible.

Good luck with your move in October!

I think if Adelaide is your number one choice and the place you are keen on, then go for there if work is not an issue and you have a job lined up.

It has good schools, lovely suburbs and all that. Same as anywhere you get the not so nice, but you'll have options and so on to work with I am sure.