Newbie needs info.....please

Guest Mrsmolineux

Guest Mrsmolineux

Hi

I have recently qualified as a adult nurse. My husband and I want to emigrate to Adelaide in a year. We have been to an exhibition today to get the ball rolling regarding visas, emigrating and any information to help. Speaking to a few people and they say you only need 3 months work experience beckons as a nurse in Australia but as we are loooking to take the move in a year that doesn't really matter, but I am concerned about the IELTS test!!! I only found out about is today! Do I have to take it and does anybody know how hard it is? My husband is a dry liner so do you think we will have enough points together?

Any advice regardingthis test, visas and nursing in Australia I would be very grateful for!!

Thanks

Tracy

Hi

I have recently qualified as a adult nurse. My husband and I want to emigrate to Adelaide in a year. We have been to an exhibition today to get the ball rolling regarding visas, emigrating and any information to help. Speaking to a few people and they say you only need 3 months work experience beckons as a nurse in Australia but as we are loooking to take the move in a year that doesn't really matter, but I am concerned about the IELTS test!!! I only found out about is today! Do I have to take it and does anybody know how hard it is? My husband is a dry liner so do you think we will have enough points together?

Any advice regardingthis test, visas and nursing in Australia I would be very grateful for!!

Thanks

Tracy

Hi Tracy

My girlfriend is a relatively recently qualified chlidrens nurse (18 months). You have to do an IELTS test in order to get your Aussie Nursing registration. Yes seems madness but its just a blanket rule regardless of nationality. I wouldn't worry too much about it though, its pretty basic stuff as long as you use some of practice material and focus in the test.

She is going on a working holiday visa whereas I have a perm residency. If you're both under 30 a working holiday visa is a great way to get to oz quickly and cheaply, little financial commitment needed so you can 'dip your toe'. Being in nursing you would then probably get an employer to sponsor you longer term once you have started in a job.

If not there might be employers that will sponsor you before you go over but not 100% sure, some of the exhibitions may have organisations that will do this.

Let me know if you want any advice. I can give you details for a nursing agency that is London based but recruits for Australian hospitals. They have been helpful to my girlfriend in applying for a registration etc

Dave

Hi Tracy, do not under estimate Ietls test! not easy by any means, do lots of test papers, you can buy a book off amazon, and often in can take 6 - 8 weeks to get in for a second test if do not pass, you have to get 7 out of 9 in all 4 areas, reading, writing, speaking and listening at academic level. Good luck with it, apply now X

Guest Mrsmolineux
Hi Tracy, do not under estimate Ietls test! not easy by any means, do lots of test papers, you can buy a book off amazon, and often in can take 6 - 8 weeks to get in for a second test if do not pass, you have to get 7 out of 9 in all 4 areas, reading, writing, speaking and listening at academic level. Good luck with it, apply now X

Hi

urs I am going to apply tomorrow, as it's payday lol!! I am revising have been all afternoon but still not feeling confident yet!!!

thanks for support

Tracy

Guest Rachael M Bowen

Why did you have to do the academic level? I'm an OT and was able to do general, I also got speaking to cardiac surgeon that was at the exam centre and he too only had to do the general. That's a bit harsh if nurses have to do the academic..... Tracy if you have to do the academic that info I sent may only slightly help you.

Guest MandiMR2

Hi Tracy & welcome!

I'm a nurse & in my case with the permanent 190 visa I could sit either the general or the academic IELTS paper, as it depended on points required, more points are awarded for the academic, so check the requirements of your visa. As mentioned above don't underestimate it, I have an A-level in English as well as my nursing degree & I found it tough going!! I recommend lots of preparation & revision, the books published by Cambridge Uni are fantastic, providing many key revision tips & suggested answers & writing styles (I have copies of both levels if you are interested in buying them) also there are numerous websites that have access to free past test papers, which are worth printing off & doing. After doing past papers I discovered the reading part the most difficult for me, as I always ran out of time, so consequently I concentrated on this part more than the other 3 & I'm so glad I did as the test was quite challenging, so I definitely say lots revision & preparation is key to the IELTS.

I'm actually in Adelaide right now on my visa validation & research trip for 3 wks & lovin it!! There are lots of casual/pool opportunities for nurses here, very few permanent vacancies. If you haven't already, I would suggest you register with SA health careers, which is like our NHS jobs site, almost all hospitals & healthcare agencies advertise their vacancies on here & once you have submitted your personal preferences, skills, interests etc. any vacancies matching your criteria will be alerted to you by e-mail.

I've organised a meet up at Doncaster M180/M18 services on Sunday 13th October at 12 midday, where a few PIA members are gathering to share experiences, ideas etc. if convenient you are more than welcome to join us.

If I can be of any help with anything please just ask. I found the help of people on here extremely useful & still do!!! It's gone by so quickly, it doesn't seem that long ago when I was a newbie asking all the questions, now here I am almost at the end of my journey & it feels so good to be able to share my experiences & help others.

Good luck with your journey & no matter how hard it becomes, when your patience tests you & the doubts come & go, have faith, stay committed to your dream & believe you can do it & you will.

Mandi x

Guest Mrsmolineux
Hi Tracy & welcome!

I'm a nurse & in my case with the permanent 190 visa I could sit either the general or the academic IELTS paper, as it depended on points required, more points are awarded for the academic, so check the requirements of your visa. As mentioned above don't underestimate it, I have an A-level in English as well as my nursing degree & I found it tough going!! I recommend lots of preparation & revision, the books published by Cambridge Uni are fantastic, providing many key revision tips & suggested answers & writing styles (I have copies of both levels if you are interested in buying them) also there are numerous websites that have access to free past test papers, which are worth printing off & doing. After doing past papers I discovered the reading part the most difficult for me, as I always ran out of time, so consequently I concentrated on this part more than the other 3 & I'm so glad I did as the test was quite challenging, so I definitely say lots revision & preparation is key to the IELTS.

I'm actually in Adelaide right now on my visa validation & research trip for 3 wks & lovin it!! There are lots of casual/pool opportunities for nurses here, very few permanent vacancies. If you haven't already, I would suggest you register with SA health careers, which is like our NHS jobs site, almost all hospitals & healthcare agencies advertise their vacancies on here & once you have submitted your personal preferences, skills, interests etc. any vacancies matching your criteria will be alerted to you by e-mail.

I've organised a meet up at Doncaster M180/M18 services on Sunday 13th October at 12 midday, where a few PIA members are gathering to share experiences, ideas etc. if convenient you are more than welcome to join us.

If I can be of any help with anything please just ask. I found the help of people on here extremely useful & still do!!! It's gone by so quickly, it doesn't seem that long ago when I was a newbie asking all the questions, now here I am almost at the end of my journey & it feels so good to be able to share my experiences & help others.

Good luck with your journey & no matter how hard it becomes, when your patience tests you & the doubts come & go, have faith, stay committed to your dream & believe you can do it & you will.

Mandi x

Hi Mandi

Thank you for all that info! This is where me and my husband are at at the minute! Looking into what visa we will need, we think it is expensive enough without paying a company to help you do visas - so any information would be gratefully received! We are hoping to get a skilled visa.

Would love to meet on the 13th to discuss options but it depends what shift I'm on?

Many thanks

Tracy

Guest MandiMR2

For nurses & midwives the skills assessment by the ANMAC requires a pass of 7+ of each part of the academic IELTS.

For all visas points are required & are accumulated for age, english language ability (IELTS - 20 points are awarded for scoring 8+ for each part & 10 points for 7+), education, Australian study, sponsorship, specific work experience & spouse skills.

I recommend a permanent skilled visa, yes it is a costly & a lengthy process, but this is justified by the gained benefits - primarily security, you can live, work & study on a permanent basis, leave & re-enter freely, eligibility for citizenship, further sponsor people for permanent residence & enjoy the rights & privileges of citizens including access to free or subsidised health, social security & legal services.

My whole application from sitting the IELTS to receiving approval of my visa took 9 months at a cost of £3,483.00 without an agent. I commenced the process in February 2012, so I'm not sure what the time frames are now.

Oh you can save money by having all your documents certified by the Justice of Peace at your local crown court free of charge instead of paying the costly fees of using legal personnel.

Mandi x