Hopefully nearing the end of a very very long bumpy road !

Guest TheBirdsIOM

Guest TheBirdsIOM

Hi Everyone

We are a family from the Isle of Man and are hoping to move out on a 190 Visa early 2014. Mum, Dad, 2 girls 6 & 9 and Monty our dog who is 5.

We first looked into the possibility of moving to Oz in Dec 2011 and after a rollercoaster 2 years with IELTS and AQF, TRA our EOI and SA Applications were submitted just over a week or so ago.

I have to say I am soooooo proud of my husband , it has been a rollercoaster 2 years to say the least and he has stuck with it every step of the way in order to give us the opportunity to have a new different life, the amount of pressure he has been under has been unreal but hopefully now we are at the end of the road and our invite to submit our visa application will arrive soon.

When you say to people that you are moving to Oz they think you can just up and go, no one unless they have investigated it themselves realises what you actually have to go through so I say well done to all of you who have been successful in this quest.

Anyway enough of my rambling :o)

As I said before we hope to be out in Feb and just wondered if anyone else was due to move out at around the same time, be nice to know if there is anyone we can share the odd panic attack or 10 with.

We are hoping to move to somewhere close to the beach/sea as we are so use to seeing this everyday in the Isle of Man, we have researched a few areas but I think until we get out we can't really pin point a specific area, we need to be close to a good public primary school and somewhere dog friendly, good transport link to city and a good gym, any one any ideas ?

Also if anyone has taken their dog with them can they let me know how they got on in quarantine, it is breaking my heart to think we are going to have to leave him, we have rabies all sorted so at least its only 30 days but still I don't like the thought of it.

Be lovely to hear from someone with any advice on anything :0)

Thanks

Dianne

Hi Dianne, congratulations on getting this far!

We are flying out on January 8th, and when I read your message with my wife we both know exactly how you feel - it's a long old road! My wife is still really nervous about leaving family behind, so would be happy to have someone to share panic attacks with, also knowing people who are going through the same stresses may help and avoid her getting too homesick. We are moving to Christies beach/Port Noarlunga area which we loved on our reccie, as we are also 'beachy' people; the primary school we visited also seems to be pretty decent and the head made us feel really welcome.

I can't help re the dog, the two kids (4yr old boy & 2yr old girl) are enough! If we can help with anything else, just ask. Will be good to see you on the other side!

Gus

Guest TheBirdsIOM

Hi

Thanks for the welcome, as things are becoming more of a reality than a dream its nice to know there are people out there :0)

Di and the rest of the gang.

Guest TheBirdsIOM

Hi......and thank you :0)

Really nice to get a reply so soon, it's funny to think there are so many of us on this rollercoaster, sometimes you feel like your the only ones being thrown upside down and side to side many times over lol :0)

I am nervous too but more in respect of the girls, Cora is 6 and Jasmine is 9, obviously for them its unsettling as they have started to make bonds with their friends at school and we are now going to tear them away. Cora has her first real cry last night about leaving her BFF, hit me hard too and I had a little cry, it actually made me felt quite guilty, Jasmine on the other hand seems OK with it all at the moment, she keep saying "there is always Skype you know mum" and has been planning a leaving party for at least a year so the pressure is on to make it a good one, she has talked it up so much I better try and get One Direction in otherwise I am going to be the worst mum in the world lol

I have no real family here in the IOM however my husband is part of a large family but to be honest its not that close, no real issues just everyone on a different page in their life, this means there are no real family ties for us but in some respects this is just as bad as it makes you realise just how on your own you are whether it be here or 1000's of miles away.

Unfortunately we haven't been lucky enough to be out on a reccie, we have been doing all our research form people we know who have already left the IOM and the net.

My husband is a self employed floor finisher/fitter and I have been involved in Offshore Financial Services (which will mean nothing in Oz) for over 15 years, office admin would be the closest I think, although I am qualified as a gym instructor too so maybe that would be an option to put food on the table.

Which school have you been looking at ? have you already sorted your rental out ? do you have jobs lined up ? sorry.....101 questions, phone a friend and all that :0)

I am starting to panic as the dream is becoming more of a reality, I panic that we are not going to get anywhere to live that will take a small, well behaved, none hair shedding dog, in fact I am starting to panic about most things from what are the girls going to do on that plane for 30 odd hours to I wonder what dog food they will feed Monty in quarantine? he only eats fresh cooked chicken! I have to keep telling myself its natural to be sweating the small stuff as it keeps your mind of the bigger issues..............like finding a job and somewhere to live and will my furniture and car arrive in one piece lol

I am sure it will all work out eventually, just got to jump in feet first I think and deal with whatever is thrown at us as and when its thrown.

It would be lovely to meet up on the other side so keep us posted on how your getting on and if there is anything we can help with just let us know.

Take care.......hope to meet you soon.

Di and the gang

Guest Guest75

Welcome !!

Nice introduction:smile::smile:

Looks like you are a very determined bunch.

Unfortunately the rollercoaster ride for your emotions has a way to go yet ------ but as us "old hands" point out...........................it is entirely normal!!!:biggrin:

Good luck!!

Hi Diane,

Tottaly understand where you are coming from we are now 17 months into this madness, and yes people dont understand whenthey ask you questions like "when do you think you will be going??" Its like how long is a peice of string? But wen you reply that your not sure etc etc, they look at you as if you have probably changed your mind, what they dont know is it is on your mind 24/7!!

We too are hoping to be there Februaryish as its the start of the new school year so in an ideal world it would be great, but things never normally go our way so it wont be that easy!!

We too are taking our 2 dogs and they have had rabies done and yes its 30 days in quarantine and I believe they cannot go straight to SA anyway its Sydney or Melbourne I think not 100% sure.

So everything you are going through seem pretty normal to me, whereabouts are you guys thinking of moving to, we are looking at Seaford and we have 2 children Daughter 16 and Son 13 so like at the schools at the moment but will probably send out son to private school and daughter will be 17 by the time we get there so will look at colleges for her.

It would be lovely to meet up with you guys in the new year and keep us posted.

Bal.

Please don't worry about your dog, he will be fine! Our dog went through quarantine in Sydney and we arranged for someone to visit him a couple of times a week and take him for walks/take him treats etc. The Sydney facility phoned me a week or so in to say they had called a vet as they were concerned that he was overheating and getting over excited around other dogs. They then arranged for him to move to air conditioned kennels away from other dogs so that he would be calmer and more quiet. After his quarantine finished we flew him to Adelaide and he's a happy, content Aussie dog!

Guest TheBirdsIOM

Hi

I get what your saying about people asking questions, I particularly love it when they say with great smugness, "Oh your still here then!" I can't wait to be able to say well actually we go on such a date.

I think with some people its a little bit of jealousy, maybe some regret not doing anything themselves who knows, but I have been asked that many times I have given up trying to figure it out :0)

Yeah I think Melbourne is the nearest Quarantine, who are you using to get them to Oz? I cant imagine what he is going to be thinking when we hand him over and what sort of state I am going to be in, feel like I am handing one of the children over boo hoo :0(

At the weekend we were thinking of Semaphore but it changes on a daily basis, I think we need more research and input from others, however at first I think we will be governed by who will accept the dog !

How are your children dealing with the move? I take it they are happy with it all?

I agree, would be lovely to meet up, can't believe how many people are on this rollercoaster, I think we all deserve a huge pat on the back :0)

Take care and keep us posted.

Di

Guest TheBirdsIOM

Hi

Thanks for this, puts my mind at abit more ease, just so worried he's going to think we have abandoned him, get a grip I know ! lol

Wasn't aware you can get people to visit, I was planning on visiting until my husband told me how far away he was, I then had a mild panic attack :0)

I was wondering how we would get him to Adelaide ? did you have to go and get him or can they send them to you on their own? , my husband did suggested driving ! I put my fingers in my ears at that point and pretended I never heard him, 1 car, 2 children asking 100000000 times "are we there yet?" and a panting dog, not an attractive proposal in my opinion lol

Thanks for your reply.

Di

Guest Guest75
Please don't worry about your dog, he will be fine! Our dog went through quarantine in Sydney and we arranged for someone to visit him a couple of times a week and take him for walks/take him treats etc. The Sydney facility phoned me a week or so in to say they had called a vet as they were concerned that he was overheating and getting over excited around other dogs. They then arranged for him to move to air conditioned kennels away from other dogs so that he would be calmer and more quiet. After his quarantine finished we flew him to Adelaide and he's a happy, content Aussie dog!

Trev!!!!!!!!!!! How is the fella??? still as daft??

Lovely dog!

Dianne,

We are going to be using Petair UK, we saw them at an Wanted Down Under expo last year and they were really helpful!!

I know alot of it is jealousy but mainly all from the in-laws side, my family have been so good with the whole thing, really interested in what we are doing and always asking if they can help in any with etc etc!!

I cannot wait till the day I go and only contact people who have been there for me throughout the whole process, you really get to know who your friends and family are through this process!!

Children daughter who is 17 has the odd wobble, but recently she asked if she could bring a friend home who happened to be a boy who is lovely but I have said please do not let it affect our plans as we are still going and she aggrees especially now the weather is so bad here!!

Deffo meet up in Oz

Bal.

Guest MandiMR2

Hello Diane & everyone else too!!

Just thought I'd drop a post & say hi...Hi lol I'm moving to Adelaide end of Jan next year, with my hubby & really cannot wait. I've just returned from a 3 week visa validation & research trip & loved every minute I was there. We're lucky enough to have been there on holiday twice before, which justified our choice of state to migrate to. We feel its a fabulous place to live, with lots to do & see, friendly people, traditional suburbs, easy going lifestyle & great accessibility to everywhere & throughout my recent visit, it felt comfortable being there & I could strongly envisage been happy there.

However despite sounded calm & sure, I also repeatedly have moments of panic, accompanied with thoughts of doubts & uncertainties, which I believe is perfectly normal when moving 10,000 miles!! In such time I remind myself of the positives of moving & of the fact that I'd rather go & try, instead of continually regretting not going at all (a glass of wine usually helps too lol).

We're going to be staying in Melrose Park, which is almost 5 miles south of the city & about 4 miles directly east of Glenelg, it is bordered by numerous other suburbs which are equally lovely areas. We like it there as it is so easy to get to everywhere from there... 15 min drive to the beach, 30 min drive to the hills & close access to the fantastic public transport service, providing 20 min bus journey to the city. In addition the median rental & mortgage costs are quite affordable.

Regarding dogs, the only information to share, which you may already be aware of, is that if they aren't registered & are picked up as stranded or handed in as lost, a fee is charged for their return & if you haven't already come across it there is a good thread in the transport & shipping section, I think its titled "really useful info re emigrating to Oz" providing info about dogs.

Anyway, best of luck with the remainder of your preparation & your journey, stay focussed & be positive, Mandi x

Guest TheBirdsIOM

I agree, you do tend to figure out who genuinely wishes you luck and who is just after a freebee holiday !

Arr poor girl, hope she doesn't get her heart broken, my 9 year old is worried about leaving her boyfriend behind too, he is lovely but I think she bullied him in to the position in the first place so he is probably relieved and is counting down the days lol

Oh well if we all stick together we will all get through it....one way or another :0)

Take care and keep in touch.

Di

:0)

Trev!!!!!!!!!!! How is the fella??? still as daft??

Lovely dog!

Lol Tyke! Of course he's still daft! He's starting to slow down a smidge, he's five now after all but I'm confident he'll never grow up! For anyone who's still a bit concerned about quarantine, the name of the company that visits your pet in quarantine is dogwalks.com.au. I seem to remember they sent us emails and photos as well and I think they visit in both Sydney and Melbourne.

Good luck to all you newbies and please don't try to exit the ride before it has stopped completely!

Guest mature1_arnie

Your coming to the best city & best state in Australia I came out as a 10,pound pom in 1961 as a very young married man with my ex & one son had 3 more son's here best thing I every did in my life all family now grown up with their own families have good jobs ect but best thing is the life style in Adelaide I am now retired myself have 16 grandchildren & 8 great-grandchildren, the thing I find so hard to understand is the amount it takes people to migrate here these days ! it took me just 2 weeks to sail after all paperwork & medicals were done at Australia house any way best of luck remember it take's some time to settle into the different life here & yep its normal to have some home sickness, but way back when I came, I all ways asked myself why did I leave in the first place good luck arnie.

Guest TheBirdsIOM

Hi Arnie

Thanks for taking the time out to reply, from the sounds of it you have a few stories or 2 to tell lol :0)

Your comments about Adelaide have helped put my mind at ease regarding whether or not we have we choosen the right place to move our family too.

The feel I have got from the forum is that we wont be and aren't alone in how we feel and we wont be alone when we eventually get there which means a great deal, even the dog has a friend already, good old Trev lol

Have to admit I think we were all having abit of a wobble last week, which I am told is natural, which is also what prompted me to post, I also did what you said and asked myself the question "why did we get on this rollercoaster in the first place"?! and then I was fine again.

The IOM is a nice safe place to bring your children up, but it's an Island and that also places restrictions on your children and us for any opportunity to better our lives, I know its not going to be easy and its going to be hard work but we are willing to do whatever it takes to make it through, we are as the Muskateers said "one for all and all for one" or something like that.

Maybe when we get to Adelaide you can give us a few more words of wisdom.

Take care

Di

Guest TheBirdsIOM

I agree.

I'm looking forward to a glass already, although I should warn you if I have a glass of wine you wont get any sense out of me at all !!! lol

My husbands last words to me when I go out is usually, now have you got your name and address written somewhere that us easy for someone to find ?!

Not sure sometimes if he is hoping I have or I haven't :0/