Arriving in December and really scared!

Guest ingyfikry

Guest ingyfikry

Hello everyone

we will be arriving in december (me and my husband AJ and two kids). One month to go and now I am really scared (is it the right decision blah blah). I have also applied for some jobs online and got a few rejections (even though I was overqualified for some of them:((

is getting job before I arrive pretty impossible or what??

Also one of my best friends just immigrated to canada and she is soooo not happy (although no comparison between beuatiful adelaide and the crappy freezing cold in Canada:)).

So all in all I am getting more scared about the move

I guess you all went through this just before the big move right?

sorry everyone for dumping on you. My husband just keeps telling me don't worry everything will be great ( a true ozzie at heart:))

Guest Phil&Miche

it is so refreshing to hear that you are honest enough to say that you are nervous! it's a mix of terror and excitement in our house at the moment!

i think it is quite normal with rejection on the jobs front. as you say, i have been applying for jobs which i feel that i would normally have been considered for and have been declined. i have asked and received feedback, and they have all stated that because i do not currently live in adelaide, then they could not consider my application. Please don't feel downhearted as there does seem to be quite a lot of opportunity for jobs!

we arrive in december and would like to meet up and get a good circle of friends very early on. I'm hoping the more we can do, the easier the transition will be so if you would like to meet up then please get in touch.

Petrus - we are in the same position as you, coming out in 16 days and 18 hours. i have to say that we are really excited about coming out and can't wait to make new friends.

phil&miche

i have to say that we are really excited about coming out and can't wait to make new friends.

Me and my wife too, and from every contact I had till now with Aussie people I had the impression that they are all very friendly and pleasant people.

And you Poms too, of course :wink:

Guest ingyfikry

Hi everyone. Glad to see everyone is so supportive!!

@guspjmh: we will be staying in glenelg.we did a reccie in sepember and organized our long-term rental (thank goodness!!!) Although we will be using air mattresses and roughing it for a couple of weeks till we buy furniture:)) my kids are 9 and 6. But we can always babysit for you guys:)

@petrus: we are arriving in 47 days (I am not counting also:). By the way, my hubby AJ is so into motorcycles too! He is attending a big motorcycle show this week . He sold his bike and will buy a new one when we reach australia so the research for the perfect bike is currently on!!

@phil&miche: You put my mind at rest concerning the job front. I never thought of asking for feedback. Thats a very good idea! Also we can't wait to meet new people and make new friends. From our reccie, glenelg is AWESOME! We have to all meet when we arrive.

I was saying that because of the forum I feel as if I have a bunch of friends before I even arrive.

Ingy and AJ

By the way, my hubby AJ is so into motorcycles too! He is attending a big motorcycle show this week . He sold his bike and will buy a new one when we reach australia so the research for the perfect bike is currently on!!

Oh, great, another biker!!! Also our two beloved Kawasaki Ninja have been sold (to finance the shipping of our goods...:sad:) and we're missing them so much until they will be replaced over there...

Guest ingyfikry

Yeah, we sold our bike too (suzuki boulevard). We still have one vintage bike which we will ship later on (no way was AJ selling that one its his pride and joy:)) But we are shipping all our gear (I don't drive just ride behind him). I think we are arriving before you so might have already replaced his bike (hopefully:). So see you guys in Jan!!

Guest louise78

Hi everyone

We arrive 1st dec me 35 a healthcare assistant my husband 37 heating engineer and 7 yr old lad joe. 6mth rental in morphettvale .Im so nervous not so much about the move just about leaving family and taking joe away from his grandparents. Iv got lots of mixed emotions but more good than bad hope to meet lots of new friends when we arrive hopefully we can share a few strongbows along the way!! X

Simon Louise and Joe xx

Hi, we arrived just over a week ago (me 35 Neil 38 Joe 7 and Ryan 4) and I completely understand what you are going through. I felt the same before we left (and to be honest will continue to do so now here) but you have come so far. Once you get here and you see the kids having so much fun it helps. We are staying in a short term in moana which is beautiful, we have sorted TFN, Medicare etc.., bought a used car and started viewing long term rentals. It gets boring for the kids so they look forward to going down the beach or playground at the end of the day. It is hard but up to now I reckon we have made the right decision. Now just need to make some friends :jiggy:

Guest AliinAus

It is so normal to be apprehensive about the move, moving house is one of the most stressful things that you can do and add moving countries too and it's reach for the bottle of wine time lol.

I tended to read posts on the forums about the reasons people returned and hubby and I would talk about them and what if we felt like that - it helped dispel some of the fears, that we were both in this together - one thing my hubby did say was that Australia was a big place and if we didn't like where we were - we'd move somewhere else - even moving suburbs can help people.

Migrating is a difficult process and it's good that you feel the way you do, because it means you're being realistic about what's ahead. Good luck with the move - i'm sure everything will slot into place and we'll be reading your "arrived and love it thread" in a few months.

hi we have been here just over a year and I can promise u there is light at the end of the tunnel!!! I had the same doubts when we were coming over and kept getting rejected for jobs and then within a week of landing we both had them!! I think it's just they have so many applications they are looking for excuses to whittle them down and then as soon as you land and put an Aussie address on ur cv they then actually read it!!! we have had our ups and downs over the year and tbh it has been difficult at times but people I have spoken to say the first year is always like that and it's true we have felt much more settled over the last few months and I know we have made the right decision.

hubby is also a biker - honda cbr954rr fireblade so if u need any tips or want a few rides he is always keen!! bring as much gear as u can s it's expensive here!!

we r near glenelg and it's fab so my advice would be plan plan plan as much as u can but don't let it take over life and then u lose the time u spend with ur family just before u leave!!

I guess its only natural to worry,but in reality,its not much use worrying over stuff you have no control over!Just acknowledge the fear,and go with it.The more you try and push it away,the bigger the fear will become!Re focus your mind back to the present "Now"time and give your mind a rest!Remember,worrying will not change the outcome!So you'd just as well choose to try and focus on the positives!Good luck everyone!

Guest ingyfikry

Hello everyone. Thanks for all the support:)) seems lots of people are arriving in december and jan (we timed it to be before school for kids). Lets get all the settling in stuff like medicare and TFN etc done and meet up asap.

All the bikers will probably meet as soon as we set foot in australia (I know my hubby is just waiting to meet other bikers. I sometimes think that he decided to come to australia for the beautiful bike rides. He is planning the rides from now:)))).

See you soon everyone and good luck!!!!!

Hi there,

don't care about rejections like employers don't care about applicants who are still in a foreign country.

It will become easier to apply for jobs once you have arrived in Adelaide. Then you're 'tangible' and 'real'.

Employers usually reject any overseas application, except people in 'high demand occupations'.

Hi Everyone,

We moved here 10 years ago. We got married here, had two beautiful girls Hannah 5 and Chloe 2 and we are on our 4th home. We believe this is the best place to raise our girls. 5 minutes from the beach with beautiful parks and great weather!! Don't get me wrong we do miss all our family and friends dearly but we are in the better place and have some lovely friends.

We live in Seaford Rise and I work part time in admin/accounts. I found it so hard getting my first job, applying for receptionist jobs, which were below me and being rejected.

Please don't get downhearted about being rejected, it will probably take a few applications before u find something. Don't panic, look when you get here and talk to people, you will soon find a job. If I can be of help to any of you please pm me.

While I am on, I am currently selling my car, which is a great family car so if any of you are interested again please pm me.

Speak soon x

• 5 weeks later...
Hello everyone

we will be arriving in december (me and my husband AJ and two kids). One month to go and now I am really scared (is it the right decision blah blah). I have also applied for some jobs online and got a few rejections (even though I was overqualified for some of them:((

is getting job before I arrive pretty impossible or what??

Also one of my best friends just immigrated to canada and she is soooo not happy (although no comparison between beuatiful adelaide and the crappy freezing cold in Canada:)).

So all in all I am getting more scared about the move

I guess you all went through this just before the big move right?

sorry everyone for dumping on you. My husband just keeps telling me don't worry everything will be great ( a true ozzie at heart:))

Like a few people have already said it's normal to be scared. We have been here 5 weeks now and I remember thinking in the weeks up to departure, whether it was the right decision. For me that went away in the first couple of days of being here. However be prepared to experience some frustrations in the first few months while getting up and running.

The work situation is tough at the moment in the majority of industries particularly before Christmas but should pick up in Jan/Feb. I would recommend going to the free job readiness training that is run by immigration SA - they run a session for skilled migrants and partners that cover topics such as job search strategies and CV/covering letters. They give you a useful insight into the local job market and what works here for candidates. You may even make a useful contact or two. I adjusted the way I apply for roles after the session and like to think it has had an influence on me securing a role (start in 2 weeks). You can drop into their office (Skills for All http://www.skills.sa.gov.au/) at 55 Currie Street to book in - just take your passport and VEVO document. I don't think getting a job before arrival is very common (except when an employer sponsoring your visa in the first place) but I have heard it does happen.

Best of luck!

Dave

Guest Sarah Bradley

If anyone is wondering what to do for Christmas Day now you are in Australia. We are off to the Angus Neil Reserve for a bbq (there are free ones in the park) between Brighton and Seacliff on the beach road. We are taking some ice blocks with us (for sledding on grass). Bring an old towel and you and the kids are welcome to have a go too. PM me if you would like any more details.

Hi there, new to this .... moving to Adelaide mid next year but over next week for a reccie and school visits :) Not sure which area we will end up in but wondered if anyone has any knowledge about schools (Sunrise Marion; Emmaus Christian or Temple)... thanks so much

We are here around 3 months (wife 36, boys 7 and 4 and myself 39), currently living in Aberfoyle Park. I have work, got the first job I applied for, and up against another 80 applicants. If you have the right experience for the job, you'll get it, but you have to be HERE. Life is good, but still tough sometimes when you miss your friends and family. We are just taking it day by day and thinking short term - 2 years and see how it goes. If things are still good, well, we'll decide then.

Making friends seems to be the tricky part, so if anyone else is in the same boat, maybe a meet-up could be cool.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest PoyntonMagees
If anyone is wondering what to do for Christmas Day now you are in Australia. We are off to the Angus Neil Reserve for a bbq (there are free ones in the park) between Brighton and Seacliff on the beach road. We are taking some ice blocks with us (for sledding on grass). Bring an old towel and you and the kids are welcome to have a go too. PM me if you would like any more details.

Hi Sarah,

we are going to Seacliff beach on Christmas Day, so would be great to pop over and say Hello! I was trying to pm you, but couldn't work out how to do it. Let Me know what time you will be at the park . Thanks Julie xx

It is really great to know that most of us here are sharing the same fear :) we are a family of four , me 38, husband 38 and two children 15 and 7; we are from Egypt and our 489 Visa is now under processing. Expecting to be granted the visa by next April 2014.. Thinking to move to Adelaide by December 2014 to seek schools for our kids.. am not sure where to settle .. as per schools or jobs or accommodation :S what to choose first and set the rest of items accordingly ?