Hello I am a newbie!

Guest LaydeeStardust

Guest LaydeeStardust

Good evening everyone, trust you are all good :)

I would love myself and my family to emigrate to Adelaide. I visited Henley beach around 12 years ago when visiting my parents who I sent over to Austrailia for 3 months for their 40th wedding anniversary. They always wanted to visit so I made that a reality for them, we thought it was a cousin we had in Henley beach, turns out a close friend of the family! Fast forward a few years, married, 2 lovely daughters and now moving house in 40 days!

I saw an expo of Austrailian futures online and happened to be in Edinburgh so I took my husband along. I was pleased that a lot of it was about south austrailia.

I am ex army mechanic, though in the army eyes I am qualified, though I dont have my other parts of City & Guilds. I havent been on the spanners for about 10 years though thought of maybe doing a refresher course to assist with that. Currently speaking with the local college. I have ran my own business since 2003 as a Reiki therapist/Teacher and Reflexologist. I work part time for the police. A diverse range of skills! My predicament is looking at the SOL, then I look at the SA sol, through the SA government age isnt an issue is what I understand, I am 41 so retraining obviously takes time and regarding the points side of things may not be enough. Being realistic here.

My husband is a bus driver and he has been in the job for over 10 years. We have been chatting about things, he is younger than me, for him to go to university and get his degree with honours as a network engineer is possibly a plan and he will still be in the lower age category of 33 to 39. My husband is thinking about it as its a huge commitment and he hasnt studied in a long time.

I am also looking at massage therapist to do along with the therapies I already have, though reading between the lines, depending on where you train and what the equivalent qualification are over in Austrailia.

I am at a point where I wish to do better for myself, hubby and our children and give them a better quality of life and more opportunities. Also Scotland is just so cold from October to March and we get a lot of rain. It is the little things that matter. I enjoy cycling though the dont like going out in gale force winds and rain! Deep down I feel I have always thought about moving to Adelaide, though on some level I thought I was tied to the UK in certain circumstances, I need to try and see what happens.

I have read a lot online, gathering information, I have travelled around the world and visited lots of lovely places, though Adelaide has left an impression on me.

I am being true to myself and with my determination and sheer will, it is the 5 to 6 year plan. Any advice on anything emigrating etc would be very much appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Kindest regards

Gina:idea:

Our dream started a bit like yours - many years ago when we came to Australia for a few weeks holiday. It put the hooks into us, but the months and years rolled by and life trickled on. In 2011 we realised that we were running out of time and our life in the UK, whilst comfortable, wasn't fulfilling our adventurous side - plus the weather really sucks for a good chunk of the year. We went to an expo in Bristol and the South Australian representative was very positive about state sponsorship for my IT skills, so we took the chance and begun our Visa application. Due to the time issue we decided to use an agent (who had been recommended on here for IT related visas) and he helped immensely.

We've been in Adelaide now for just 15 months and in the last couple of months have bought our own house in McLaren Vale (which is just the loveliest place to live in but don't tell anyone) and can say that we are chuffed to have made the move - it's not been easy and the visa process was just the start. I miss family but only last night, my mum was looking at our photos from a trip we took up to Coober Pedy and said how much happier we both look. Our three children have mixed opinions, with our eldest very into being here but the other two - I think they like it, but then they had good lives in the UK and are not quite sure why we moved. The good thing is they will have a lot of choice in the future and there is no doubt that we get more chance to go the beach, walks out, etc. I love the weather here! Swap cycling in gale force winds for cycling in warm sunshine through vineyards ;)

I haven't really felt like there are too many down sides to being here - we don't feel like its paradise but it's different, fresh and I am happy that we've had the chance to throw all lives up in the air and see where it lands. I believe we've picked a good part of Australia to be in, even if it's not seen as one of the glitzy areas.

You will get heaps of advice for each stage of the process here and I think the key is to have the long term goal but approach it in bite sized chunks.

Best of luck.

Guest bakersdozen
Good evening everyone, trust you are all good :)

I would love myself and my family to emigrate to Adelaide. I visited Henley beach around 12 years ago when visiting my parents who I sent over to Austrailia for 3 months for their 40th wedding anniversary. They always wanted to visit so I made that a reality for them, we thought it was a cousin we had in Henley beach, turns out a close friend of the family! Fast forward a few years, married, 2 lovely daughters and now moving house in 40 days!

I saw an expo of Austrailian futures online and happened to be in Edinburgh so I took my husband along. I was pleased that a lot of it was about south austrailia.

I am ex army mechanic, though in the army eyes I am qualified, though I dont have my other parts of City & Guilds. I havent been on the spanners for about 10 years though thought of maybe doing a refresher course to assist with that. Currently speaking with the local college. I have ran my own business since 2003 as a Reiki therapist/Teacher and Reflexologist. I work part time for the police. A diverse range of skills! My predicament is looking at the SOL, then I look at the SA sol, through the SA government age isnt an issue is what I understand, I am 41 so retraining obviously takes time and regarding the points side of things may not be enough. Being realistic here.

My husband is a bus driver and he has been in the job for over 10 years. We have been chatting about things, he is younger than me, for him to go to university and get his degree with honours as a network engineer is possibly a plan and he will still be in the lower age category of 33 to 39. My husband is thinking about it as its a huge commitment and he hasnt studied in a long time.

I am also looking at massage therapist to do along with the therapies I already have, though reading between the lines, depending on where you train and what the equivalent qualification are over in Austrailia.

I am at a point where I wish to do better for myself, hubby and our children and give them a better quality of life and more opportunities. Also Scotland is just so cold from October to March and we get a lot of rain. It is the little things that matter. I enjoy cycling though the dont like going out in gale force winds and rain! Deep down I feel I have always thought about moving to Adelaide, though on some level I thought I was tied to the UK in certain circumstances, I need to try and see what happens.

I have read a lot online, gathering information, I have travelled around the world and visited lots of lovely places, though Adelaide has left an impression on me.

I am being true to myself and with my determination and sheer will, it is the 5 to 6 year plan. Any advice on anything emigrating etc would be very much appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Kindest regards

Gina:idea:

Good luck ,

from another newbie

R

G'day Gina, welcome to our site.

When I started to read your intro, I thought you'd left it a bit late as as far as I know 46 is the upper age limit to emigrate. I could be wrong as it's a long time ago that I got that info. However, if you apply under your husbands qualifications, you've got some more time up your sleeve, at least for you and your hubby. As for the children though, time is possibly running out. How old are they? Over a certain age (16?) they have to apply in their own right I believe, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Retraining at your and hubbies age will be a huge task (been there, done that and failed C.& G.Quality Assurance) but if you want to "go back on the spanners" diesel engines is the way to go, though I'd prefer you to look after your nails and back.

Good luck in your endeavors all the same.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LaydeeStardust

Hi Zebedee, thank you for your post. It is nice to hear from people who are actually there and been through the whole process. I had a look on the map of where you are. We move house in 27 days so everything is sort of on hold at the moment. Once we are settled in by January then start looking at things again. I have emailed the college with all my qualifications to see if they can help me in any way. How long did the whole process take you?

Cycling in warm sunshine definitely sounds wonderful, my poor bike is on the turbo trainer for the winter in the garage!

It is nice that your family can see how much happier you are. Yes when I was over there all those years ago, I thoroughly enjoyed it and just knew in my heart that I really could live there. If we are meant to go there, it will happen. Really appreciate your advice as I can imagine it could feel overwhelming. I have always loved travelling and exploring new places and having lots of adventures. I am thinking a holiday may be on the cards next year to let my hubby see Adelaide and maybe some inspiration :)

Best regards.

Guest LaydeeStardust

Hi DougM, thanks for your comments. I know! I wish I had this awareness a few years back before I had the children and could have brushed up on my skills. I am getting mixed messages when I went to the expo, some saying that 45 or 46 is the age limit depending on what visa you go for, some say 50 years old. Not sure with the state sponsorship makes a difference. Circumstances at the time, I suppose I didnt believe that it could truly happen. Since that with a lot of changes happening and realizations, I know in my heart that we have to give it our best shot and see if we can do it. My little ones are still small, nearly 4 years and other one is 19 months.

Hubby is quite the natural when it comes to IT, computer stuff and he is really interested in it. I know its a task as its on him really, though he may just enjoy the challenge. :) I did the spanners for a good few years, there is a lot of change due to health and safety as there are fitters and old school mechanics, dare I say I am old school lol. Nails not much an issue, apparently you can wear gloves now! Always have them short and not the most girliest girl. I worked on HGVs etc. Yes my back is important :) that is why I am thinking small engine, motorcycle mechanic. Best regards :)

Hi Zebedee, thank you for your post. It is nice to hear from people who are actually there and been through the whole process. I had a look on the map of where you are. We move house in 27 days so everything is sort of on hold at the moment. Once we are settled in by January then start looking at things again. I have emailed the college with all my qualifications to see if they can help me in any way. How long did the whole process take you?

Cycling in warm sunshine definitely sounds wonderful, my poor bike is on the turbo trainer for the winter in the garage!

It is nice that your family can see how much happier you are. Yes when I was over there all those years ago, I thoroughly enjoyed it and just knew in my heart that I really could live there. If we are meant to go there, it will happen. Really appreciate your advice as I can imagine it could feel overwhelming. I have always loved travelling and exploring new places and having lots of adventures. I am thinking a holiday may be on the cards next year to let my hubby see Adelaide and maybe some inspiration :)

Best regards.

The whole process started properly on the 1st July 2011 when we engaged the agent - and we had the Visa email on the 23rd Feb 2012 - so about 7 months which surprised the heck out of us, it moved quicker than we thought which in many ways was good because we don't actually recall anytime we made the decision to do it - one thing seemed to just lead to another.

The most scary part was booking the one way flights. That was the bombshell moment.

We arrived 30th July 2012 - so it was a full year from starting the process to actually turning up here - again, we were lucky with selling the house and also found two places to stay at via a house sitting website - so that gave us a date we had to be here by.

Guest LaydeeStardust

Hi Zebedee, golly the process really didnt take long at all. In my head I thought it would be 12 to 18 months. Yes I can imagine that re the flights, though must have been very exciting too! That is a great idea re a house sitting website and also committing to a date. Did you have a job lined up when you arrived? You said previously you are in IT, what is your job description? I assume most of the jobs are in the CBD. My hubby has been looking at the SOL and there are a few IT occupations. Thanks for your reply :)

Hi Zebedee, golly the process really didnt take long at all. In my head I thought it would be 12 to 18 months. Yes I can imagine that re the flights, though must have been very exciting too! That is a great idea re a house sitting website and also committing to a date. Did you have a job lined up when you arrived? You said previously you are in IT, what is your job description? I assume most of the jobs are in the CBD. My hubby has been looking at the SOL and there are a few IT occupations. Thanks for your reply :)

No, we came out without jobs. I am a systems admin - so came out under the network administrator job role (sys admin filled up before I could apply). I do a lot of infrastructure type work - vmware, exchange, etc.

The vast majority of IT jobs are in the city. I was very lucky and had an interview within 3 days of arriving.

If you think you might fancy the IT route, the agent I used was PTLabs (Peter) who is a legend at helping out IT related visa. He does free assessments too.

Hi there Gina,

Firstly, the Pomsinadelaide forum helped me so much when I moved to Adelaide in 2008, I would have been lost without it so I recommend using it regularly to ask questions and find out as much as you can.

I hated it here for the first year as I was so homesick but I love it now and it feels like home. After staying here for 2.5 years I gained my permanent residency and now we ping pong back to the UK every six months for 6 months following the summers as much as we can. A hectic life but a good one!

Wishing you lots of luck in the thinking and action jnr of your plans.

Cazzie x