newbie :) moving to adelaide in april.

Guest bianca

Guest bianca

hi im bianca 26, im married to lee 30, we have two children Louie 4 and Lottie 2. Were in the final stages of finalising our visa and will hopefully be in Adelaide in April.

We've never been to adelaide or australia so starting to feel a lil nervous now. Just packing up and jumping on the plane haha. I'd love a lil advise on areas to live, im mainly looking for someone nice for children. Were wanting to rent a furnished house for 6 months and have budgeted around $500 per week. does this sound right?

We are coming with no jobs lined up, were hoping the hubby will be able to find one quickly, he's a plumber. I'm a hairdresser mainly work with extensions.

would love to make somes friends on here as we dont know anyone :(

xxx

Not in great detail. Someone told me south of the city is nicer than north but I haven't ruled out North. My plan at the moment is to do a temporary rent for around 4 weeks to then give us a chance to check out a few different areas as apparently the rental process is quite quick once you find somewhere. I think one of the first things we'll have to do is buy a cheap car so we can have a good look round - it's all very scary and very exciting at the same time!

If you don't have any work to come to and are flexible about where you might want to stay house sitting is possibly a cheap-ish option. Have a look on Aussie house sitters - you may have to look after animals or water the plants but it does help to give you a feel for an area.

Good luck with your moves.

Hello and welcome :)

Firstly, I'd be unsure of finding a 6 month fully furnished rental. It would be expensive and also there are not that many around. And with younger children, it might be harder still as you'll need a bit more space etc. Most people generally get a short term ff rental for a few weeks and in that time look round and find an unfurnished rental. Some wait for containers and beg, borrow and buy (second hand) while they wait, others go out and buy new.

What does 'somewhere nice' mean to you? Are we talking beaches, good nurseries, schools, a quiet suburb or closer to the city? I'd base where you look to live more on where your hubby will find work or be working. If its possible he could be travelling all over you have lots of options or if its north or south then look to those areas to save commute times. Work out from employment and the rest usually falls in to place.

I don't really know the northern suburbs so can't comment on those. I'm getting to know some of the eastern ones and they are from what I can see, generally pricey and may well out of your budget. The southern suburbs are the beach ones (apart from a few suburbs heading north) and you can head in land also to suburbs and still be within easy reach of the coastline in 10-15 mins or so. Personally I like the suburbs closer to the city for us. Not right near the CBD but then not starting to head too far along the coast either. We are not overly fussed about being right near a beach either so the area we tend to like ranges from Glenelg down to Seacliff and inland toward around Marion, Mitchell Park, South Plympton way. Sure, not all the areas within those are great but plenty to choose from for us :)

Go check out http://www.realestate.com.au/ and look at rentals in the various suburbs. Open google maps on a different tab so you can see which areas are where before you view them and then put in your budget etc for renting. Lots of people live south down in places like McClaren Vale, Aldinga and so on and north to so make sure you research the suburbs and areas further afield as prices do vary in different locations. Also up in the hills around Adelaide, small towns and so on there that are lovely. Lot of areas to choose from.

Edited by snifter

hi im bianca 26, im married to lee 30, we have two children Louie 4 and Lottie 2. Were in the final stages of finalising our visa and will hopefully be in Adelaide in April.

We've never been to adelaide or australia so starting to feel a lil nervous now. Just packing up and jumping on the plane haha. I'd love a lil advise on areas to live, im mainly looking for someone nice for children. Were wanting to rent a furnished house for 6 months and have budgeted around $500 per week. does this sound right?

We are coming with no jobs lined up, were hoping the hubby will be able to find one quickly, he's a plumber. I'm a hairdresser mainly work with extensions.

would love to make somes friends on here as we dont know anyone :(

xxx

Hi Bianca,

Welcome. You will find lots of useful info from people on here (opinions as well!). Don't be afraid to ask.

I moved here 6 years ago as a hairdresser so if there's anything that you want to know in that line just send me a pm. You should be able to find work quite quickly.

Lee will have his local certification to do. It may delay his earning potential for a while so please take this into consideration. There are plumbing companies that may take him on whilst he is doing this though.

If you did want to stay at a furnished rental for 6 months your budget would be fine. You are arriving in the off peak period and rentals are negotiable around this time.

All the best with your big move.

Tamara

Guest bianca

thank you for your replies, its nice to know people are out there to help :)

we wanted to rent a furnished for a 6 months so we can really research into were we would like to live, as its a huge move for our children we didnt want to keep unsettling them.

"somewhere nice" would be a family neighbourhood with parks not to far from the beach with good schools. its really hard to find somewhere to base when we have no jobs to go to as we dont know where we'll be working. so we understand we may have to travel. were constantly looking on real estate websites :)

Tamara, thank for your reply. how do you find hairdressing out there? hubbys thinking about doing a crash course in anther trade, we've seen alot of people talking about getting certified and its taken them years, arrgghhhh!! were are you originally from? Would you recommend areas to look? xx

Hi Bianca,

My opinion is that you will be spoilt for choice for nice areas close to parks and beaches. I live in Port Noarlunga and love it here but there are many areas that will suit your needs depending upon your budget. Many new migrants have chosen to stay in the suburbs from Hallett Cove, Christies, Port Noarlunga and Seaford. Others decide to stay the other side of the city and often the decision is influenced by work and travel distance. I wouldn't live anywhere else but there are other opinions and some real great areas throughout Adelaide.

On the subject of hairdressing. I have to be totally honest. Hairdressing used to be on the old MODL...skills shortage list. When you get here you find that the hourly rate is terrible and it's possible to earn more in general retail. Like all trade jobs the money is to be made working for yourself, not for a boss, but you have to do what you have to do to bring in those dollars...especially when you are a new arrival and it's costing you a fortune to set up a new life.

If possible don't limit yourself to just hair extensions. Also...be prepared to do anything to bring in those Dollars in the early days. Same goes with Lee. It is possible to get the plumbing registration sorted and there are companies that take on Brits whilst they are doing it. Like anywhere in the world it can be who you know or who you get to know that opens doors. The local economy is not great at the moment although housing and renovations seem to be picking up. It's good to have a back up plan as it's an expensive (but worthwhile) move coming here.

I am originally from Preston and my OH is from Yorkshire.

Ask many questions on here...you will get lots of help and as I mentioned before...lot's of opinions too!

Tamara

We are coming with no jobs lined up, were hoping the hubby will be able to find one quickly, he's a plumber.

Welcome to the forum.

You may have already spotted the thread that is posted at the top of the Jobs and Careers section on here regarding plumbers, but just in case you have missed it....

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/jobs-careers/23276-plumbing-workers.html

It has been running for almost 3 years now, so I am not sure if it is still up to date information, but it will give you some thoughts and opinions on plumbing in Adelaide.