If you could go back and do it all again...

Bubbl

Hi everyone!

We are arriving at the start of feb and the nerves are starting to set in! I just wondered to those who've already made the big move - what would you bring with you that you didn't bring and what would you have not bothered bringing if you had known? Hope that makes sense haha!

I also wanted to say thanks to all those who take time to help us newbies and answer all our questions on here and those who volunteer to moderate - such a useful site and lovely people!!

Thanks again everyone! :)

Guest Claire-n-tel

Hi Bubbl!

if you ask this to 1000 people you'll get 1000 different answers. We were in the "just the normal amount of lugguage you can bring on a plane" group. That was partly because that was what we wanted to do anyway and partly because we did a fair amount of traveling on the way!

c&t

If you are using a sole use 20ft container, I'd bring the lot if it fits. You can ditch what you don't need this end then. Of course have a sort out before you leave and ditch the surplus stuff or the things gathering dust.

If you are trying to streamline before you move to ship less, be ruthless. If you've not used it for a year or two, rehome it before you leave. If its old furniture that you plan to replace soon anyway, don't bring it. If its a 20 year old fridge, take it to the tip and buy a new one when you get here.

We went from planning to use a sole use 20ft container for our entire house contents down to a large self pack Move Cube. We only bought our KS bed, desk, one chair, a blanket box and two chests of drawers furniture wise. The rest we sold/recycled/binned before we left. Same with our personal effects. We charity shopped about half our books, old clothes, old toys, all our garden stuff, some small electrical goods. All our white goods, hoover and more went to the tip.

I brought more bedding for our bed as the Aus beds are slightly different sizes so wanted to have enough to fit. I also bought more good quality towels in all sizes as they are expensive here. I invested in good quality duck down duvets for our bed also.

Don't bother bringing curtains of any kind IMHO. Windows here are very different size wise and none of ours from our old house would fit in a house here.

Small electricals are handy. Toaster, kettle and the like. Our kettle was fairly new before we left. Price wise here its well over double. So glad we needed a new one before we left. If you are a Dyson or Henry fan, cheaper in the UK. Much cheaper.

Don't throw away your coats either :P You will most likely get use out of them in winter. We had about 20 between us in the UK (I am a farm girl, so lots of them for different things for all of us). I did whittle them down a lot and only bought about half a dozen of the good qaulity ones from duck down to waterproof and a couple of fleeces.

Don't forget UK powerboards and adaptors to use to start you off.

That's really good to know snifter thanks - I had been thinking what to do about sheets etc! Thanks for your experiences - I'm hoping to hardly ship anything really just things my daughter might miss and leave my furniture as it is old and probably worth less than the cost of shipping.

Good to know cnt that you can do it just with normal allowance too and not feel you should have shipped things.

Sorry for the broad question - I'm just finding it hard to know what I will and won't need - top tip on coats! I'm thinking of getting some jumpers and boots too while the sales are on here!

Thanks again! :)

We sold or gave everything away in the UK and arrived with only 5 suitcases. I had thrown all my photos of myself as a child (I now don't have any of me in my teenage years) and parted with lots of sentimental items. We thought we would be ok starting up again but you only think of the cost of big items usually and forget the little things like kitchen utensils, Pyrex dishes, pans, bowls, rolling pin, oh and coat hangers, they cost a fortune out here. Bedding and towels are also expensive to buy.

When we moved interstate we realised this time that we would take everything with us. We just couldn't afford to start again.

in regards to white goods I would probably wait until you are here. Most houses have a specific area for the fridge/freezer and some are too large to fit in this area, also dishwashers are usually always in both rentals and properties sold, and of course so is the cooker.

That's really good to know snifter thanks - I had been thinking what to do about sheets etc! Thanks for your experiences - I'm hoping to hardly ship anything really just things my daughter might miss and leave my furniture as it is old and probably worth less than the cost of shipping.

Good to know cnt that you can do it just with normal allowance too and not feel you should have shipped things.

Sorry for the broad question - I'm just finding it hard to know what I will and won't need - top tip on coats! I'm thinking of getting some jumpers and boots too while the sales are on here!

Thanks again! :)

Get some undies, socks and shoes as well the quality isn't as good over here

Get some undies, socks and shoes as well the quality isn't as good over here

There's always M&S and they often have free delivery. I bought 1 thick fleece jacket and a short raincoat with fleece lining and hood. I can count the number of times I've worn them on one hand! Three nice jackets are still unworn on hangers but I bought a silk one here for Melbourne Cup and a wedding. My woolly poncho/throw was well used in the winter last year though.

I wish I'd kept a lot of my books and sheet music (bought an electric piano at the weekend) Decent shoes are pricey too

Guest Guest12727

Some 1960s original danish chairs that were in my Parents in Law attic. Had I known, they would have been in our shipping container, definitely. They are currently on route to us, at a cost of about $600.

These types of products have a high value here compared with UK. (not that I will be selling them) They also have a 1960s McIntosh sideboard, which they are currently trying to sell on Gumtree UK for about 200pounds negotiable. 2nd attempt, 1st time no takers. I have seen the exact sideboard here for $2500! Unfortunately, not practical for us to ship that here as well!

Hi if I was packing a container again I would pack lamps ,light fittings ,cushions,throws,kitchen utensils if you think twice about packing something pack it . The most important items would be photos of loved ones

good luck with your move

Thanks so much for the suggestions - much appreciated :)

Guest Dithommo

Hi there,

When we booked our flights here to Adelaide, we got our agents to confirm that we could take double the luggage allowance on producing our visa on check in. We also got them to put it on our travel confirmation so we could show them at the check in with our visa. Me and husband checked in 88kg between the two of us which helped with transporting some items with us. We flew with Singapore Airlines and used trailfinders to book our flights. Hope this helps

Good luck

Guest Toodolou
Hi there,

When we booked our flights here to Adelaide, we got our agents to confirm that we could take double the luggage allowance on producing our visa on check in. We also got them to put it on our travel confirmation so we could show them at the check in with our visa. Me and husband checked in 88kg between the two of us which helped with transporting some items with us. We flew with Singapore Airlines and used trailfinders to book our flights. Hope this helps

Good luck

Can you do this with most airlines?

Hi there,

Good luck

Thanks for the tip - we already booked emirates who dont offer anything :( nevermind I will know for next time - lots of people on here have recommended Singapore - I didn't realise when I booked mine and just thought emirates would be ok as I'd heard of them! Thanks again x

Can you do this with most airlines?

No, only some airlines offer this. Singapore airlines is one that offers a migrant allowance for unvalidated permanent visa holders. They may ask to see visa grant as proof. You can email to confirm the allowance after booking to be safe.

Also booking through IOM gets you double allowance with their airlines. Think it's mostly Emirates these days but a couple of others also. They have limited seats though.

Thanks for the tip - we already booked emirates who dont offer anything :( nevermind I will know for next time - lots of people on here have recommended Singapore - I didn't realise when I booked mine and just thought emirates would be ok as I'd heard of them! Thanks again x

Alas you won't get the double allowance in future flying with them if you've already validated your visa. It's a one off thing for unvalidated.

As Snifter says - if you've room put it in and then decide what to do with it when you have somewhere (or not) to put it here. We weighted up both options and when we did an inventory for shipping insurance purposes and realised just how much it would cost to replace absolutely everything it made sense to go with the container and fill it. Although saying that we have brought things that are completely unnecessary and some things I definitely wished we'd bought to ship - like a new Henry and shoes for odd-bod feet.

Good luck with your decision - and move.

As Snifter says - if you've room put it in and then decide what to do with it when you have somewhere (or not) to put it here. We weighted up both options and when we did an inventory for shipping insurance purposes and realised just how much it would cost to replace absolutely everything it made sense to go with the container and fill it. Although saying that we have brought things that are completely unnecessary and some things I definitely wished we'd bought to ship - like a new Henry and shoes for odd-bod feet.

Good luck with your decision - and move.

Thank you x

No, only some airlines offer this. Singapore airlines is one that offers a migrant allowance for unvalidated permanent visa holders. They may ask to see visa grant as proof. You can email to confirm the allowance after booking to be safe.

Also booking through IOM gets you double allowance with their airlines. Think it's mostly Emirates these days but a couple of others also. They have limited seats though.

Although my husband and I had a reccie trip after our visa had been granted (so our visas had been validated but our children's hadn't) Singapore airlines allowed us to have an increased luggage allowance for all 5 of us on our one-way trip. We did have to email Singapore Airlines to ask if we could have it and actually show this email at Changi Airport after our stop-over but it was very useful.